Popular Tags: [View All]
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to introduce the game to 2 new players and 1 player who has played the base game once. All players are fairly receptive to complex boardgames and rules (eclipse + expansions, heavy euro games etc), and all are fans of the show firefly.

I want to know if anybody tried or has a preferred setup + story combo that might fit these conditions:

1) We will NOT use pirates and bounty hunters
2) We WILL use Blue Sun expansion (with reaver alert token mechanics), extra ships, breaking atmo etc
3) We MAY use a kalidasa expansion, or parts from it
4) I would like players to have incentive to use board extension/s
5) Varied goals would be preferred.

Goal is to have players experience a little bit of everything the game has to offer minus the hightened pvp from PnBH. I do want the reavers to have more teeth (hence blue sun), and the corvette would be a nice threat starting on the right side of the board if we used Kalidasa.

Using "The rim's the thing" setup card seems like an obvious choice. "It's all in who you know" story card might work but it seems to discourage players from continued dealing with contacts you are already solid with.

I know I can't have it all, but I welcome any suggestions for set-up + story cards that would allow for a diverse firefly experience, that utilizes the blue sun expansion and possibly kalidasa.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gotta be honest, I would probably introduce players just using the core game, or the core game + Breakin' Atmo. There's a lot going on here, and it's good to focus on the center of the board first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Marcil
Canada
Leduc
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with gwek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Roberts
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll agree. But also suggest that you review why you don't want to use P&BH. A lack of interaction was one of the primary concerns with the basic game and P&BH is a step towards addressing that. Also, if you want them to explore more of the 'verse bounties can help (especially if you house-rule a way to cycle the Bounty cards more quickly/show more of them at a time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rather
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have no trouble at all introducing the game to new players using all expansions. I did it again on Saturday. I had the game set up, spent 10 minutes explaining the rules, and off we went.

Of course, it simplifies things if the noobs are familiar with the series:

- "Do you remember how Jayne got hired? You can do that here..."
- "Pirating someone or capturing someone for a bounty is a two step process. To board a ship you've got to use Talk or Tech. When those guys tried to hijack Serenity in "Out of Gas", they Talked their way aboard. Jubal Early used Tech to sneak aboard. Next is the Showdown, whith each side using their best skill. In "Out of Gas", both sides chose Fight, and Mal rolled a couple of sixes to drive-of the pirates. Jubal Early chose Fight..." and a fun discussion ensued over whether River & Mal used Tech or Talk to beat him.

And so on. They had a lovely time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaintExupery1 wrote:
I have no trouble at all introducing the game to new players using all expansions. I did it again on Saturday. I had the game set up, spent 10 minutes explaining the rules, and off we went.

Of course, it simplifies things if the noobs are familiar with the series:

- "Do you remember how Jayne got hired? You can do that here..."
- "Pirating someone or capturing someone for a bounty is a two step process. To board a ship you've got to use Talk or Tech. When those guys tried to hijack Serenity in "Out of Gas", they Talked their way aboard. Jubal Early used Tech to sneak aboard. Next is the Showdown, whith each side using their best skill. In "Out of Gas", both sides chose Fight, and Mal rolled a couple of sixes to drive-of the pirates. Jubal Early chose Fight..." and a fun discussion ensued over whether River & Mal used Tech or Talk to beat him.

And so on. They had a lovely time.

What setup and story card did you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alec lynch
msg tools
New people I've played with haven't had any trouble with the larger board from the expansions. I do agree that I find P&BH is best left for the second game.

I find new people are focused on learning enough that the extra rules from P&BH is what they don't tend to remember or be able to strategize for, and it gives me too much of an advantage. I end up pirating them but never vice versa.

I usually play King of All Londinium or Harkin's Folly since they offer a good variety of things going on (travel, skill checks, misbehave cards). It ensures people experiencing a good variety of the game.

With the expansions, you can adjust one or two of the destination goals to ensure people travel to the Rim.

I haven't done one for Kalidasa yet, but I also had fun making my own storycards to ensure Blue Sun space was used:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1439985/couple-new-storycar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually use Blue Sun, Breaking Atmo and the new ships from P&BH for new players. The pirate jobs are in the stacks, but I just tell them that they can redraw if they get one. Also, only experienced players are valid targets for piracy, unless the newbie decides to go pirating first.
For that reason, I don't explain piracy. Since the bounty mechanic is the same, I don't use that either with new players.

Blue Sun is very important, I would never again play without it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rather
msg tools
mbmbmb
dyepbr wrote:

What setup and story card did you use?

Standard setup and "The Choices We Make" from P&BH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaclyn Courval
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used Blue Sun & Atmo with new players before, with no problems. I don't like to use Pirates & Bounty Hunters with new people. Typically, if the new players are experienced gamers we start with Blue Sun/Atmo, and if they aren't then we start with just the basic game. I feel like Kalidasa would be a little much to add in at first, but without Blue Sun no one tends to ever really play the Reavers.

I actually really don't like using First Time in the Captain's Chair with a mix of new and experienced players, because I feel like it discourages illegal jobs and misbehaving. I like to use "Where the wind takes us" or "respectable persons of business" with new people because the goals are pretty simple. "Where the wind takes us" is definitely my favorite to use because it encourages travel all over the 'verse and dealing with different contacts.

It just so happens we are playing a game tonight with two new players, and 4 experienced players. They are experienced gamers, so we are doing the basic game with Blue Sun/Atmo, and we're going to give the new players first pick of ships & leaders, with Dodger, Esmeralda, and Jetwash discounted for them ($400, $500, and $700 instead of $700, $800 and $1000). I'm strongly considering adding in the "Blitz" set up, too, to 1. Give the new people an idea off the bat on how to use crew and gear to complete jobs and what combinations work well, 2. speed up the game because tomorrow is a work day. I haven't quite thought that one all the way through yet, so it could backfire on us by making things more confusing for them out of the gate...I guess we'll find out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with whatever you feel your group will enjoy. My group has a mix of gamers, non-gamers, Browncoats and non-Browncoats. For some the PBH player interaction isn't all it's cracked up to be. We've played roughly 30 games this year and only twice did anyone use piracy and/or bounty hunting. My group hasn't latched on to PBH likes other groups, so now we vote prior to setup on whether or not to use piracy/bounty hunting. If not, we remove the piracy jobs and bounty cards (keeping the rest).

Again, go with whatever you feel your group will enjoy the most!

Keep Flyin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaclyn Courval
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
For some the PBH player interaction isn't all it's cracked up to be.

True for me. The people I've played with typically haven't enjoyed PBH much, so we usually leave it out. I was rather surprised when I read through the forums here and saw it was so popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's definitely a divider, and a matter of taste. Personally, I don't love it, but I'm not passing judgement either way. I DO really like a lot of the supplies in PBH, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
It's definitely a divider, and a matter of taste. Personally, I don't love it, but I'm not passing judgement either way. I DO really like a lot of the supplies in PBH, though.

I like the supplies and I like the bounties.

But I'm not a big piracy fan myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mudd Grizzly

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hist wrote:

Funny! I'm just the other way. I haven't yet played a game where someone successfully jumped a bounty (or maybe even tried to?), so my preference would be for piracy, since it seems to add much more player interaction to our games.

I also feel like piracy is more intuitive for new players (though not necessarily less complicated), which might be part of my bias. But I'd also like to +1 the sentiment that your mileage may vary. I like that different groups seem to have different values and playstyles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mudd Grizzly wrote:
hist wrote:

Funny! I'm just the other way. I haven't yet played a game where someone successfully jumped a bounty (or maybe even tried to?), so my preference would be for piracy, since it seems to add much more player interaction to our games.

Not really jumping the bounties. Just doing the bounties in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.