Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Loop Inc.» Forums » General

Subject: Read the rules...uh...what? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone else read the rule book and feel like they just walked into the middle of a conversation? I'm usually much better at picking up a game as I'm reading the book but not this time. I really look forward to playing this if I can figure it out.

I'm hoping there will be more videos on this soon. Heading off to watch Rahdo's videos....again. shake
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Würfel Reviews
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TWrecks wrote:
Did anyone else read the rule book and feel like they just walked into the middle of a conversation? I'm usually much better at picking up a game as I'm reading the book but not this time. I really look forward to playing this if I can figure it out.

I'm hoping there will be more videos on this soon. Heading off to watch Rahdo's videos....again. shake
Maybe our review will help you? (although I don't usually explain all the rules...)
This game is not that hard and rulebook is ok.

Cheers,
Ilja
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the rulebook was fine.

Do you have some specific questions?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook certainly has its faults, but I didn't think it was as bad as OP seems to find it. The rules summary I wrote and posted might help.

As the previous reply said, it would help if you could translate your confusion into some specific questions. This forum will probably help if you ask your questions here (or look to see if they've been addressed here already).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to address any questions you have
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought they were fine, but I had watched Rahdo's runthrough first, so I already kinda knew how it was supposed to go.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After the reviews and especially the rules summary, I think I've got it.

My biggest stumbling areas were these:

1. understanding penalties and the timing of them: does the penalty pool not affect you until the end of the game? Or do you immediately record the penalty. Let's say you don't have any points at the end of day 1 and you got a penalty for an AD. Do you go below zero or do you hold the token for resolution at the end of the game.

2. Time machine and AD token resetting: I think I understand that if you don't launch a time machine on a day, you lose it. And if you have an AD token out there and no time machine, that gets cleared at the end of the day. So at the beginning of Day 2, you discard your unused TM and you remove the Ad from the trip card.

3. Scoring. I guess this is kind of covered in my first item but if you have a Tear for instance or if you actually complete a trip, you head right to the scoreboard or do you wait until the end of the game or a day?



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Würfel Reviews
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TWrecks wrote:
After the reviews and especially the rules summary, I think I've got it.

My biggest stumbling areas were these:

1. understanding penalties and the timing of them: does the penalty pool not affect you until the end of the game? Or do you immediately record the penalty. Let's say you don't have any points at the end of day 1 and you got a penalty for an AD. Do you go below zero or do you hold the token for resolution at the end of the game.

2. Time machine and AD token resetting: I think I understand that if you don't launch a time machine on a day, you lose it. And if you have an AD token out there and no time machine, that gets cleared at the end of the day. So at the beginning of Day 2, you discard your unused TM and you remove the Ad from the trip card.

3. Scoring. I guess this is kind of covered in my first item but if you have a Tear for instance or if you actually complete a trip, you head right to the scoreboard or do you wait until the end of the game or a day?



1. We recorded negative points right away but I think you can do it both ways, doesn't really matter. ANd if so then I think you can go below zero

2. Yeah, you will discard that Time Machine token but you will get new one from the new day. At the end of the day if there's an AD token on one of the trips and you didn't launch a ship there then you will take that token into your penalty box.

3. We do everything right away But I think you can score trips right away and penalties at the end of the game... But the thing is each time you get a tear token you get a certain amount of -points and it's easier to record them right away.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave James

La Palma
California
msg tools
mb
As much as I love Time Travel board games and have watches some videos on it, I just cannot see the fun in this game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Chambers

Toledo
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveJames wrote:
As much as I love Time Travel board games and have watches some videos on it, I just cannot see the fun in this game.
Having just taught the game to three "first timers" I think I can best summarize it as a game enjoyed by people for whom the word "brain burner" translates to "fun."

Your mileage obviously varies, and I see nothing wrong with that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
spambait42c wrote:
[q="DaveJames"]I can best summarize it as a game enjoyed by people for whom the word "brain burner" translates to "fun."
I think "brain burner" is a bit of an overstatement. I'd go with "brain warmer".

Or perhaps "brain warmup". For many crowds, Loop Inc would work well at the start of a session. The first round is very short and simple, once you've got the rules. The second round is trickier, mainly due to the Past Action mechanism. The third round can be very tough, as the "board" becomes more crowded.

The game plays pretty quickly*, so at the end of it, those who like brain burners are warmed up for one, and those who don't can play something lighter next.

Andrew

* Loop makes my Eurogamer-sense tingle, in a good way. For the time it takes, it packs in a lot of game. The design/development decision to go with 3 rounds, rather than with 4, was a good one.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Chambers

Toledo
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndAgainMA wrote:
spambait42c wrote:
I can best summarize it as a game enjoyed by people for whom the word "brain burner" translates to "fun."
I think "brain burner" is a bit of an overstatement. I'd go with "brain warmer".
I'd reply that people who don't like 'brain burner' games won't like this, which is another way of saying what I was trying to say.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls