United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this may be my last question(s) to understanding The Gallerist.

1. Is promotion level tied at all to Celebrity? For example, in our last game, I was able to hit 19 Fame at promotion level 4. Am I required to use level 5 before obtaining Celebrity Status?

2. For the inverse of that question, if you do hit level 5 promotion and the artist is not yet a Celebrity, the only way to gain Fame from that point is buying his works, correct?

I think everything else (besides the 3 questions I've already asked) is very clear in the rulebook. Thank you Vital for such an engaging game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No. If he's at fame 19 at any level of promotion, he becomes a celebrity.

2 Exactly. You might promote an artist up to level 5, but not reach celebrity status. He's not a celebrity if nobody buy his works however you promote him...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Level 07 BGG posterMicrobadge: Silver File UploaderMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Silver Image UploaderMicrobadge: 10 Year Geek Veteran
Note that there is one Reputation Tiles that rewards you for Promotion and another one for Celebrity - they are two different things and not tied together in any way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:

2. For the inverse of that question, if you do hit level 5 promotion and the artist is not yet a Celebrity, the only way to gain Fame from that point is buying his works, correct?
Not only. There are other ways, such as:
1. Discover an artist that has a bonus tile that gives you fame advancement per collector in your gallery.
2. Or when you place a reputation tile on your board, you can choose to cover the same bonus as no. 1 in your gallery board.

My question is, can you take a promote artist action, to promote the artist even he already has the top promotion tiles? I don't suppose you can. So in other words, we cannot take the action to get a bonus of promote artist if the artist we choose already in top promotion?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2020 - Kanban EV, Mercado de Lisboa, 2021 - Weather Machine, Surviving Mars Exp, 2022 - House of Crime, Bot Factory, 2023 - Neural Net, 2024 - Escape Plan the Heist
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My question is, can you take a promote artist action, to promote the artist even he already has the top promotion tiles?
No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
newrev wrote:
Quote:
My question is, can you take a promote artist action, to promote the artist even he already has the top promotion tiles?
No.
Thanks Vital. The game is awesome, and compared with my latest favorite, Kanban, I am not sure which one is better. But I guess it's okay to like both the same. Hahaha...

The production is amazing (thumbs up to EGG for that), the artworks are beautiful (salute to Ian O'Toole) and elegant game play (thanks to you and playtesters).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
For completeness there are artist bonus tiles that let you increase the fame of any artist by 1 for each collector in your gallery, they are unlikely to be available to push someone to 19, but it's possible. This is the same action Kris was referring to with regards to the reputation tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pana elcafetal
msg tools
mb
Another question regarding this issue: can I reduce my influence track to the next level with a star (Fame), so I can generate an increase of 1 fame in any artist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2020 - Kanban EV, Mercado de Lisboa, 2021 - Weather Machine, Surviving Mars Exp, 2022 - House of Crime, Bot Factory, 2023 - Neural Net, 2024 - Escape Plan the Heist
mbmbmbmbmb
elcafetal wrote:
Another question regarding this issue: can I reduce my influence track to the next level with a star (Fame), so I can generate an increase of 1 fame in any artist?
Yes. You can spend influence to increase fame, everytime you are improving any artist fame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify : you can't increase the fame of any artist.
When the fame of an artist is increased by any possible mean (artist bonus tile, buy work of art, promotion...) as a consequence of one of your actions, you can spend influence to increase the fame of this artist even more. Not any artist, not during the actions of other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
I should be able to get a good grip on my Elephant when it arrives!
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...Microbadge: Surrealism fanMicrobadge: Drum fan
I'm still amiss fully understanding celebrity status and increasing fame. I have an artist who reached level 5, but he was not at 19 yet (he was at 15 fame). I went to the Media Center and used influence to push him to 19 (spending 16 influence to make him a celebrity). Can I do that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, no it's not possible.
To be able to spend influence for fame on an artist, you have to perform an action that includes increasing the fame of this artisit. You are actually boosting the action, not creating it out of the blue.
As the artists is already at 5, you cannot select him for the action and hence your influence cannot be spent on him. Only on the artist you choose to promote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
I should be able to get a good grip on my Elephant when it arrives!
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...Microbadge: Surrealism fanMicrobadge: Drum fan
tublefou wrote:
To me, no it's not possible.
To be able to spend influence for fame on an artist, you have to perform an action that includes increasing the fame of this artisit. You are actually boosting the action, not creating it out of the blue.
As the artists is already at 5, you cannot select him for the action and hence your influence cannot be spent on him. Only on the artist you choose to promote.
Shoot! I've cheated. Oh well, it's my first game and since I have moved on from that I'll just chalk it up as a learning experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls