United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I have my beautiful, 20 lb. box sitting next to my bed. I lovingly gaze at it as I fall asleep. I've bought my model glue, special ordered from the UK, and put together the prologue minis. I've even played the prologue showdown with a friend (who, while not enthused with it, at least played it with me). I have other friends who want to try it, but at this point I feel 75% certain that none of them will throw in with me for the long haul. I want to really experience this game, and I'd prefer to experience it WITH people (I am not a solo gamer at all), but I am slowly resigning myself to the reality that I might have to play it alone.

I see a number of other people have been having a fine time running KD:M all by their lonesomes.

So please, convince me one way or the other. Do I expand my net and try to capture some more people who are not married with children like the rest of my friends (and myself, for that matter), people who actually have the time to commit to a weekly or even bi-weekly KD:M session? Or do I just rock this baby by myself so I can actually PLAY the game I spent $300 bucks on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
A key benefit of the game is the fact that each lantern year doesn't take 6 hours to get through. I think if you work on your network, you will eventually find the people willing to play the game for the 90 minutes per session. Even if you have to rotate people through the game, I think you will be able to play the game as a co-op. I think solo would be pretty painful stat-tracking wise. It obviously can be done, but you have to be diligent and patient.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo isn't bad at all, but I have been solo gaming for a decade. I find KDM to be very simple to keep track of. Now, that's not to say you won't miss some things from time to time, but who cares? Solo gaming can be very relaxing and it helps create a narrative in your mind because it is just your game and your story. Give it a shot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGuire
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I have played both solo and co-op. They both have their pros and cons. With co-op it's more fun getting that last kill shot and having others to celebrate a hard fought victory. Also with co-op you have others tracking their own characters so you're not trying to track all 4 survivors stats. The downside to co-op is everyone has to decide how to use resources and what principles we all want to adopt. This means that the settelement phase can really drag on sometimes.
The best part about solo campaigns is that you can play whenever and however long you want to! I would be up playing until 3am when I did my own solo campaign. Once you play a thru a few campaigns and get the rules down solo campaigns can be much easier to track and organize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Buckley
msg tools
Do both. Run two campaigns. That's what I'm doing. I have a group that plays, but sometimes schedules don't align and we can't together every week. I can break out my own campaign if I get the itch for some Death
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
Why don’t you do both?

Play it with other people when they can all get together.

Then play a different campaign by yourself when you have time but others don’t.

Everything about your campaign is separate and recordable so you can dismantle one campaign and pack it away and then retrieve the items you need for your other campaign.

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Carlson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Phoenix_Bird wrote:
Why don’t you do both?

Play it with other people when they can all get together.

Then play a different campaign by yourself when you have time but others don’t.

Everything about your campaign is separate and recordable so you can dismantle one campaign and pack it away and then retrieve the items you need for your other campaign.

Phoenix
Seconded. Fourthed

Have a solo campaign so you can play whenever you want to satisfy your gaming needs but also have a co-op campaign going for whenever your friends are willing and able.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback! Running two campaigns makes sense to me. I think I'll go with that option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott YahNotHappening
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
+1 for doing both. That's what I'm doing too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Reed
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone here know if Dark Moon plays well solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonsher wrote:
Does anyone here know if Dark Moon plays well solo?
Do you suffer from multiple personality disorder? Then the answer is YES!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
derrickec wrote:
Thanks for the feedback! Running two campaigns makes sense to me. I think I'll go with that option.
As it's highly possible that your solo campaign goes more davanced that the one you're playing with friends, don't reveal anything to the other players!
I think that the best experience from the game is to play a first time without knowing what is best. So let the other players choose everything the settlement does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing different campaigns at the same time.
I usually play solo every game to learn the ropes properly so I'm able to teach them later on.

Anyway, I'm having a blast with every campaign.

The solo one it's great because you handle every situation in the way you want, also I'm making a small diary(some lines per year) with the events etc, and doing that you remember the campaign like if it was a movie or a book. Awesome experience but demands a nice organization.

Other campaign I'm playing it's with a good friend(he plays the females and I play the males).He loves boardgames/rpg etc so it's also great because we cheer up every critical or talk about tactical decisions etc. Also it's always great to have your friends to play along with you.

And my last one it's a 4 player one, also a great one, but usually you run it slowly but you have great laughs also.

My advice go and take a Solo one and play with your friends another one, but don't spoil them the fun. Take every event and read it aloud or even better, read it and the narrate it with flourish and sounds and stop at the point you must make a decision and ask the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
I would actually play the solo version for three or four games to learn the ropes first before hitting up a huge co-op.

Learning this game is simple, figuring out how all the pieces interact when they mash together in interesting and unusual ways takes a bit longer, and usually results in horrible, horrible death for the settlement.

Which is fun. But, it is also time-consuming to find out how it should work.

Then there are nit-picky things to work out as well. For instance: properly randomizing the card draws for resources and settlment events. In my previous games I noticed certain "randomized" draws were not really random. So I evolved a better system to make the choice random. A simple fix that I learned playing solo.

Terrain interactions, AI interactions, monster movements in awkward settings - solo play let me see where confusion would appear and let me figure out how best to handle the situation without outside opinions with their own interests changing that.

The upshot of all this solo play is that when you do get into the co-op, you already know the answers to many of the complex interactions; which will minimize the rule searching and deciscion making, which will lead to a much smoother game experience for you and your friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Gilbank
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Find a game group on meetup.com that fits your schedule and post a KDM event (Most groups let people post events. or post in the game night for that group in the comments that you are looking for 3 others to play the campaign. I'm sure you will have no issue finding people to play with. I'm beating down people with a stick and I have yet to get my copy.

Meetup.com is the way to go, its free as long as you are not starting your own group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
Buy two sets. Then you can leave one set up at home for your solo campaign, and take the other to your mates for the co-op campaign!! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Licious
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stu Holttum wrote:
Buy two sets. Then you can leave one set up at home for your solo campaign, and take the other to your mates for the co-op campaign!! devil
The only things I would really like is an extra set of innovation cards and possibly more gear cards. My settlements innovations and innovation deck are the only things I really keep separated when I store the game. The innovation deck would be annoying to rebuild and it would not be fun to track all the gear on the settlement sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls