Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Warfighter, but one of the very few quibbles I have with it is the fact that a "red dot sight" gives the same to-hit bonuses at what are effectively sniper rifle ranges as you get at CQB range. Similarly, the ACOG, which is a 4x - 5x sight and not as well suited to CQB ranges, is just as effective at range 0, 1 or 2.

For the past week or so I've been going over an idea for a way to represent combat gunsights and scopes in a more granular way - that is, allowing for a wider range of sights which give fewer "blanket" bonuses and are more suited to specific ranges, just as most sights are in real life.

This idea was inspired by trying to figure out how the Elcan C79 optical gunsight fit into the Warfighter sight system and finding it needed some 'tweaking' to make it work.

I've got about 90% of the details worked out on paper (well, an Excel spreadsheet, but you get the idea) but I don't think I'll go through the exercise of doing up equipment cards in a PDF and posting it to BGG unless there's some general community interest.

Here's the concept:

In keeping with the generic sense of the gunsights in the game already I've divided the commonly encountered types of sights into the following categories:

Reflex Sight: (M68 Aimpoint CompM2/Kobra EKP-1S)

Rifle/Carbine/SMG/Machine Gun attachment
RP Cost: 2
Loadout Cost: 1

+1 to Kill and Defeat Cover rolls at Range 0
Cannot be combined with other sights or scopes
Limit one per weapon.

Holographic Sight: (EOTech 553, EXPS3)

Rifle/Carbine/SMG/Machine Gun attachment
RP Cost: 3

Cannot be combined with other sights or scopes
Limit one per weapon.

(note: this sight is differentiated from the reflex sight by the effect of the 3x magnifier)

Compact Offset-mount Reflex Sight: (Aimpoint T1/Micro T1)

Rifle/Carbine/Machine Gun attachment

May be combined with 3x-4x Optical Gunsight and DMR and Sniper Scopes.
Limit one per weapon.

Close Combat Optic 3x Magnifier w/Pivot Mount: (Aimpoint 3x Magnifier, EOTech Model G33):

Sight Attachment
RP Cost: 1

+1 to Kill rolls at range 1 when combined with Reflex Sight
+1 to Kill and Defeat Cover rolls at range 1 when combined with Holographic Sight.
May only be combined with Reflex or Holographic Sight.
Limit one per weapon.

3x-4x Optical Gunsight: (Elcan C79, SUSAT, Trijicon TA31F)

+1 to Kill and Defeat Cover rolls at Range 1, +1 to Kill roll at Range 2
Cannot be combined with scopes, may be combined with Miniature Reflex Sight.
Limit one per weapon.

Optical Gunsight w/Top-mount Reflex: (Trijicon TA31ECOS):

+1 to Defeat Cover at Range 0, +1 to Kill and Defeat Cover rolls at Range 1, +1 to Kill roll at Range 2
Cannot be combined with any other scopes or sights.
Limit one per weapon.

Miniature Reflex Sight: (Trijicon RMR, EOTech MRDS)

Rifle/Carbine/SMG/Pistol/Shotgun/Sight attachment.

+1 to Defeat Cover at Range 0 (this is unchanged from the Wave 2 "Close Combat Red Dot sight).
May be combined with 3x-4x Optical Sight, DMR Scope, Sniper Scope
Limit one per weapon.

The intent of breaking these sights out is to give more granularity in selecting sights for specific missions and uses. By spending the exact same amount of RPs and Loadout (4 RPs and 2 loadout) on buying a 3x-4x Optical Sight with an Offset Compact Reflex sight, you can get the same effect as a Red Dot Sight/ACOG combo in the original game (+1 Defeat Cover/Kill at range 0 and 1), with the exception that the full effects no longer extend out to range 2.

You can now also spend 3 RPs on two combos (3x-4x Optical Sight with top-mounted Miniature Reflex Sight and Reflex Sight with Close Combat Optic 3x Magnifier) which give almost (but not quite) the same bonus.

3x-4x Optical Sight + top-mounted Miniature Reflex Sight = +1 Defeat Cover at Range 0, +1 Defeat Cover/Kill at Range 1, +1 Kill at Range 2

Reflex Sight + Close Combat Optic 2x Magnifier = +1 Defeat Cover/Kill at Range 0, +1 Kill at Range 1.

I'm still working out the details of Designated Marksman Scopes, Sniper Scopes and Precision Sniper Scopes, but this gives you an idea of where I'm heading with this; generally, the idea is no more mounting red dot scopes to M24s and suddenly getting +1 Defeat cover at range 2!

Is this too much detail for you when playing this type of game, or is this type of advanced customization up your alley? Let me know! If there's enough interest, I'll develop it further and post it here. Also, if you're experienced with these types of sights and would like to give feedback on the effects I've assigned to each type, please reply here with your constructive feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks good and more customisation and options are certainly welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't find a need for more optics; my reading glasses do just fine.

Your idea are welcome ones. I think that this game needs more of your granularity in the loadout section, as well as the enemies and the mission types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in these ideas as well. I think to make them viable in the long run (at least for me) would require some bookkeeping on a customized spreadsheet that would replace the equipment/weapon/skill cards. The number of cards in play, especially on a larger mission, coupled with all their stark differences in color make it hard for me to focus and account for all the little modifiers. And I shudder at the effort and expense of printing up a bunch of new cards myself!

But a master spreadsheet that we could transfer information from to a smaller note/spreadsheet would be handy and make all the cards, both DVG and fan made, more accessible.

Sorry, just spitballing an idea to make your work more accessible to me! Good work Chris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the interest, folks! I think enough people have expressed interest that I proceeded and roughed up the concepts above in Adobe Illustrator.

Have a look:

In keeping with Ryan's suggestion to try to keep things easier to read and reference, I've put the bonuses at various ranges into a chart on each sight/attachment, which hopefully makes it clearer and easier to remember.

I'm still hammering out how to deal with Sniper and DMR rifles, but I have an idea that I'm excited about.

Feedback on the sights above welcome and appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Bocaling
United States
Hayward
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looks great!! ^

Will print them & try it on my next mission with a feedback to you afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Narvaez
msg tools
You keep making awesome looking cards! Will have to try these out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CPTNCC1701D wrote:
Thank you for your support of the community.

A pleasure, The Captain.

On sober second thought, I'm thinking of changing the text on the Mini Reflex Sight to say "SMG/Pistol/Shotgun/Sight Attachment" so that there isn't a chance of combining the Mini Reflex sight with some of the other sights except those listed.

I'm also going to remove "SMG" from the list of weapons the 3x-4x Optical Sight and 3x-4x Optical Sight w/Reflex, since there's no reason to use that type of sight with a SMG under the way I've structured the sights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The next phase of this fan expansion is sniper optics. If you can't use the base game Red Dot Sight and ACOG any more on the sniper rifles, how do you get a bonus?

There are a bewildering variety of scopes out there in the real world. In keeping with the original game's intent of simplifying and making things generic, but keeping in mind that we're hoping to make things a little more granular, I've broken them down into three broad categories:

Designated Marksman Scope (3x-10x magnification) - Leupold VX-6, Zeiss Victory HT or similar.

Range...0....1....2
Kill...-1...+1...+3

If weapon has no range 2 stat, Kill number at range 2 = Range 1 kill number +3. Reload = range 1 Reload.

May mount Mini Reflex Sight
Limit 1 per weapon.

Sniper Optical Scope (3.5x-12x magnification) Leupold Mark 4LR/T 3.5-10x40 or similar.

Range...0....1....2
Kill...-3...+2...+4

If weapon has no range 2 stat, Kill number at range 2 = Range 1 kill number +3. Reload = range 1 Reload.

May mount Mini Reflex Sight.
Limit 1 per weapon.

Long Range Precision Scope (9x-25x magnification) Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25x56mm

Range...0....1....2
Kill...-4...+3...+5
Defeat.-1...+1...+1

May not combine with other sights or scopes.
Limit 1 per weapon.

"But," you're saying, "what about the weapons that are already sniper rifles or designated marksman rifles?"

Well, this is the complicated part.

All of the various sniper rifles and DMRs have a scope "baked into" their stats; that is, their number are as if they already have a scope mounted. To complicate this further, the DMRs like the Mk11 and the L129A1 probably have stats as if they have a DM scope mounted, whereas sniper rifles, predictably, probably already have a sniper optical scope mounted.

So, what if you want to put a sniper optical scope on the Mk11? What if you want to put a DMR on a M40?

What I'm going to work on tonight is the net change for each weapon.

So, if you take a Mk11 (for example), assume it has a Designated Marksman Scope mounted, extrapolate back to find its "basic" stats, then figure out what the net change is if you mount an sniper optical scope or long range precision scope.

The card then has to have something like this:

Designated Marksman Scope (3x-10x magnification) - Leupold VX-6 or similar.

Weapon.......Range...0....1....2
Standard.....Kill...-1...+1...+3
DMR..........Kill....0....0....0
Sniper Rifle.Kill...+2...-1...-1

What does that chart mean?

Well, let's go back to the Mk11. Kill numbers are 8/7/6

If you mount a DMS on the Mk11, it doesn't do anything. It's a DMR so it already has a DMS.

If you mount a DMR on a sniper rifle, it gets a +2 to hit at range 0, and -1 to hit at range 1 and range 2.

Since mounting a DM Scope on a weapon that already has a DM scope has no effect, I think I'll just leave out that row of information.

Sniper Optical Scope (3.5x-12x magnification)

Standard.....Kill...-3...+2...+4
DMR..........Kill...-2...+1...+1
Sniper Rifle.Kill....0....0....0

So, using our Mk11 as the base, if you mount the SOS, it gets a -2 to hit at range 0, and +1 to hit at range 1 and +2 at range 2.

Long Range Precision Scope (9x-25x magnification)

Standard.....Kill...-5...+3...+5
DMR..........Kill...-3...+2...+2
Sniper Rifle.Kill...-1...+1...+1
All Weapons..Defeat.-1...+1...+1

So, using our Mk11 as the base, if you mount the LRPS, it gets a -3 to hit at range 0, and +2 to hit at range 1 and +2 at range 2. In addition, it gets -1 to defeat cover rolls at range 0, and +1 at range 1 and 2.

This is a wall of text and somewhat hard to digest, so I'm going to distill it into the three actual cards later tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They say a picture is worth a thousand words:

Hopefully the concept is clearer as presented on the cards.

If you're using a standard, unscoped rifle and you mount one of these sights, use the "No Scope" row.

If you're using a designated marksman rifle (Mk11, L129A1) and you mount one of these sights, use the "DMR" row.

If you're using a sniper rifle (M82, M24, M14, KSVK, SVD and variants, SV-98, C14, C15) and you mount one of these sights, use the "Sniper" row.

[edit] Just noticed an error - the kill modifier for the No Scope on the Sniper Optical Scope at range 0 should be -3.

What's that? Can you have some examples of how this would work? Why sure!

Well, let's try mounting the Designated Marksman Scope (hereafter "DMS") on a M4A1.

The Kill numbers for the M4A1 are 6/9/- (Range 0/Range 1/Range 2).

Looking at the DMS card, it gives -1 to Kill at range 0, +1 to hit at range 1 and +3 to hit at range 2. The range 2 kill number = 9 + 3 (12), so the M4A1 can now Kill at (effectively) 7/8/9

Let's give the M4A1 a Sniper Optical Scope (SOS). The SOS gives -3/+2/+5

This changes the stats of the M4A1 (again, effectively) to Kill 9/7/7.

OK, now let's put a Long Range Precision Scope (LRPS) on an M16A4 (Kill 7/8).

The LRPS gives -5/+3/+5.

The M16A4's Kill numbers with a LRPS becomes 12/5/6 with +1 to defeat cover, +1 to defeat cover at ranges 1 and 2, -1 to defeat cover at range 0.

Or a M16A4 with a DMS = 8/7/8.

Let's put a DMS on a Mk14 EBR.

Unscoped Kill = 7/8
With DMS Kill = 8/7/8, Penetration 1.

OK, LRPS on a M82

Unscoped Kill = 9/5/3
With LRPS = 10/4/2, Penetration 2 at range 1, Penetration 3 at range 2&3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeping on it, I think I'd like to change the presentation of the information for the No Scope row.

As set up currently, you figure out the kill number for range 2 for a weapon that has no range 2 number by adding 3 to its range 1 kill number. You then apply the to Kill bonus.

So, if you have a M-16A4 and mount a Sniper Optical Scope, you figure out its range 2 kill number (8+3 = 11) and then when you fire, you add 4 to your die roll. It's two "steps" of math.

I could simplify this process by putting an asterisk where the +4 is currently, and just have the line below say "*Range 2 kill number = range 1 kill number - 1". One step.

Does that make more sense/is it easier? Obviously it's easier math, my only concern is whether switching from a bonus to the die-roll to figuring out the Kill number without a bonus is confusing.

A few other notes on my design thinking:

1. This model presumes that if you go through the trouble to get precision optics, you're also getting higher-grade ammunition so that the dispersion is more in line with the precision you get from the optic. This is "baked into" the cost of the scope and its bonuses.

2. If you mount a sniper optical scope on a weapon with the same ammunition as a sniper rifle and the same general weapon layout, you're still not going to get the same accuracy. A design presumption is that the purpose-built sniper rifles will always be more accurate than a general issue assault or battle rifle with a scope slapped on. So, even if you put a SOS on a SCAR-H or a HK417, it's still not as good as a Mk11 or a L129A1.

[edit] - I crunched the numbers on a bunch of the various rifles and carbines today at lunch and I'm not satisfied with where the kill numbers are coming out.

I'm going to do one more pass though the iterations of 5.56mm rifles, 5.56mm carbines, 7.62mm rifles and other weapons and probably tweak range 2 modifiers for all scopes being added to unscoped weapons.

It's close, almost there - but not quite.

The final PDF will include 2 copies of each of the more common optics (3x-4x optical sight, reflex sight, holgraphic sight, CCO 3x magnifier, etc.) and one of each of the less common sights/scopes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did another refining pass on the sights last night.

Designated Marksman Scope (3x-10x max)

Weapon.....Range....0...1...2

Unscoped...Kill....-1..+1...*
Sniper........Kill....+1..-...-1

* Use Range 1 Reload, Kill number.

May combine with Mini Reflex Sight

Limit 1 per weapon.

Sniper Optical Scope (3.5x-12x max)

Unscoped...Kill....-2..+1...*
DMR..........Kill....-1...-...+1

* Use Range 1 Reload, Kill number -1.

May combine with Mini Reflex Sight

Limit 1 per weapon.

Long Range Precision Scope (9x-25x+ max)

Loadout Cost: 2

Unscoped...Kill....-4..+2...*
DMR..........Kill....-3...+1...+2
Sniper........Kill....-1...+1...+1
All...........Def.Cvr..-1..+1...+1

* Use Range 1 Reload, Kill number -3.

No other sights or scopes

Limit 1 per weapon.

====

The LRPS is already mounted on the .50 sniper rifles. They're as good as they get.

I'm also going to add one more low magnification sight (not a telescopic sight)

1.5x-2.5x Optical Sight

Range....0...1...2

Kill...........-..+1...-
Def. Cvr...-..-..-

Limit 1 per weapon.

(No, these aren't going to be terribly popular, but they exist and are mounted on the Steyr AUG and Austeyr rifles)

At the moment, the numbers are where I'm hoping they would be and all seems to make sense. Unless other people have input or suggestions, I'm going to put these changes into the final draft as a PDF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of adding a piece of equipment that would be useful for sniper teams, a spotting scope:

Spotting Scope

If the soldier occupies a location with another soldier who has already attacked this turn with a Weapon with an attached Scope, all subsequent attacks on the same target add 1 to the Weapon's Attack rolls.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Kozure wrote:
If the soldier occupies a location with another soldier who has already attacked this turn with a Weapon with an attached Scope, all subsequent attacks on the same target add 1 to the Weapon's Attack rolls.

What do you think?

I'm a little confused. Is this interpretation correct?

(1)Soldier A has a weapon with attached Scope.
(2)Soldier B has the Spotting Scope.
(3)Both soldiers occupy the same location.
(4)Soldier A attacks a Hostile card once with multiple Hostiles.
(5)For the second and any additional attacks, Soldier A may add +1 to each attack against the same Hostile card.

Is this correct? If so, are there any other restrictions on the Soldier B that would interfere with the use of the spotting scope? I imagine he wouldn't be allowed to move or attack prior to spotting for the marksman/sniper? Would spotting cost an action?

Cool idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:
Kozure wrote:

What do you think?

I'm a little confused. Is this interpretation correct?

(1)Soldier A has a weapon with attached Scope.
(2)Soldier B has the Spotting Scope.
(3)Both soldiers occupy the same location.
(4)Soldier A attacks a Hostile card once with multiple Hostiles.
(5)For the second and any additional attacks, Soldier A may add +1 to each attack against the same Hostile card.

Is this correct? If so, are there any other restrictions on the Soldier B that would interfere with the use of the spotting scope? I imagine he wouldn't be allowed to move or attack prior to spotting for the marksman/sniper? Would spotting cost an action?

Cool idea.

Your steps 1-5 are correct. I was trying to figure out a way to say it in as succinctly and compact a manner. Does it cost an action? Can he perform any other action? Not sure. Should it cost an action? Probably... but that might be too costly, as it takes away an action from that soldier, who might be doing other things.

Hmmm... pondering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the spotter shouldn't be able to do anything while spotting for the shooter. Once the shooter has finished, and even before the shooter has fired hi first shot, the spotter could be doing other things.

As to action cost, I think it should cost the spotter an action to spot any number of shots by the shooter. You're substituting the play on one or more action cards to get a +1 bonus for 1 or two shots. Seems like there should be some cost associated with it.

Now I could also see the spotter giving the shooter a +1 defeat cover bonus as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:
I think the spotter shouldn't be able to do anything while spotting for the shooter. Once the shooter has finished, and even before the shooter has fired hi first shot, the spotter could be doing other things.

As to action cost, I think it should cost the spotter an action to spot any number of shots by the shooter. You're substituting the play on one or more action cards to get a +1 bonus for 1 or two shots. Seems like there should be some cost associated with it.

Now I could also see the spotter giving the shooter a +1 defeat cover bonus as well.

+1 defeat cover in addition to the +1 Attack is pretty deadly, especially when the shooter is usually getting +1 or even +2 Defeat Cover from the weapon and/or sights. I think +1 Ranged Attack is enough.

I was also thinking that a spotter can be useful for the first shot - doesn't have to wait until the shooter has made the shot.

So, how about this:
Quote:

Spend one action; +1 to the next Range 1 or 2 Semi mode Attack roll of another soldier in the same location. May not be combined with modifiers from other Sighting Scopes.

Limit one per soldier.

That has the other, spotting soldier expending actions to add the bonus (instead of merely being present) and further restricts it to range 1 or 2 Semi mode attacks.

I'm pretty happy with that wording, so unless someone points out an obvious flaw or a better way to word it, I'm going to use it and export the PDF for posting to the file section later this afternoon.

If you have any other requests or suggestions for revisions, try to make them here before 5 PM EST on Sunday, Nov. 15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Kozure wrote:
So, how about this:
Quote:

Spend one action; +1 to the next Range 1 or 2 Semi mode Attack roll of another soldier in the same location. May not be combined with other Sighting Scope modifiers.

Limit one per soldier.

I'm not quite sure where I sit on this now.

I think it should be permissible to combine the spotting modifier with any sighting scope modifiers. Otherwise it seems to only to benefit shooters without a scope. Unless I'm missing something.

I agree in retrospect that giving a +1 to defeat cover in addition is probably too powerful.

Still think it should cost an action. Since you have to use one of the few actions a player soldier gets to activate this benefit I think it actually becomes a fairly expensive ability to utilize for a +1 attack modifier. That's one less discard and draw, move, attack, etc. that one of your very small number of main players gets to use.

No opinion on whether the ability can be applied after the shooters first shoot or with the first shot. I can see it either way.

I'm spitballing these ideas as I head out the door; I hope my thoughts make sense.

Edit: so really the only concern or uncertainty I have is this:
Quote:
May not be combined with other Sighting Scope modifiers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:
Kozure wrote:
So, how about this:
Quote:

Spend one action; +1 to the next Range 1 or 2 Semi mode Attack roll of another soldier in the same location. May not be combined with other Sighting Scope modifiers.

Limit one per soldier.

I'm not quite sure where I sit on this now.

I think it should be permissible to combine the spotting modifier with any sighting scope modifiers. Otherwise it seems to only to benefit shooters without a scope. Unless I'm missing something.

I agree in retrospect that giving a +1 to defeat cover in addition is probably too powerful.

Still think it should cost an action. Since you have to use one of the few actions a player soldier gets to activate this benefit I think it actually becomes a fairly expensive ability to utilize for a +1 attack modifier. That's one less discard and draw, move, attack, etc. that one of your very small number of main players gets to use.

No opinion on whether the ability can be applied after the shooters first shoot or with the first shot. I can see it either way.

I'm spitballing these ideas as I head out the door; I hope my thoughts make sense.

Edit: so really the only concern or uncertainty I have is this:
Quote:
May not be combined with other Sighting Scope modifiers.
\

The danger is someone gaming the game and having two or three soldiers buy sighting scopes and getting +2 or +3 to Attack. Remember, I'm specifically talking about combining Spotting Scopes (this piece of equipment), not sniper optical scopes or similar.

Hmmm... I should have typed "Spotting Scope" instead of Sighting Scope. That might be the source of confusion.

Yeah, combining modifiers from multiple Spotting Scopes, not combining modifiers from this Scope and scopes/sights on the weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PDF uploaded and awaiting approval from the powers-that-be.

Expect it in the files section in the next 24-48 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Kozure wrote:
Hmmm... I should have typed "Spotting Scope" instead of Sighting Scope. That might be the source of confusion.

Yeah, combining modifiers from multiple Spotting Scopes, not combining modifiers from this Scope and scopes/sights on the weapon.

Yes, that was the source of my confusion. Makes perfect sense.

Thanks for your work, it looks great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Download available as a PDF here:

Advanced Sights and Scopes Mod for Warfighter

Good hunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, you've printed out the sheets. But now there are dozens of combinations of sights, instead of the basic six or so in the standard game. What's the best combination? Where to begin?

One way to look at it is to give your soldiers the best optic set-up for their role. I generally look at four to five roles on a team: the assaulter, the supporter, the sniper/designated marksman, the all-rounder and the group-killer (machine guns and underslung grenade launchers). Some of these roles overlap, or due to RP restrictions, have to be filled by the same soldier; sometimes they're altogether absent.

The Assaulter

The assaulter's job is to get in close and put down hostiles at Range 0.

The cheapest optic for close-range work is the Mini Reflex sight. At +1 Defeat Cover for a single RP, it's a sweet deal. Since you only need that +1 Defeat cover at short range, it's ideal.

After the Mini Reflex, the Reflex and the Holographic sight are better, with +1 Defeat Cover and +1 Attack, but cost more (2 RP). It's generally not worth paying the 1 RP extra for the holographic sight unless you also plan to put a CCO 3x magnifier attachment.

The Offset Mount Reflex isn't really necessary unless you're mounting another optic, so pass on that.

The Supporter

The supporter is typically a rifleman who is set up to fire at range 1, and is especially useful for taking out Hostiles when their entrance cost modifiers are stopping the Assaulter from getting in.

A great optic for this range is the 3x-4x Optical Sight, which gives +1 Defeat Cover and +1 Attack at range 1. Combined with a 7.62mm rifle, this can be especially dangerous. At 2 RP, it's the best value for money. When buying for UK or Canadian troops you get a 1 RP discount, which makes it almost an insta-buy.

If you want a little more accuracy at range 0 as range 1, you can go for the 3x-4x Optical Sight w/Top Mount Reflex, which gives an additional +1 to defeat cover at range 0. At 3 RP, it's a little pricey, but the loadout cost is still low at 1.

A low-cost alternative for range 1 shooting is the 1.5x-2.5x Optical Sight, which gives +1 to Attack at range 1 only. It's a sort of a one-trick pony, but for the price and the loadout, which is easily carried by Rail-equipped rifles, it's a decent deal. Highly recommended for the Austeyr rifles.

The Sniper/Designated Marksman

Sniper rifles are assumed to come with their own scopes in this system and their accuracy is baked into their stats. To get a bonus, you must improve the optics, either by upgrading from a Sniper Optics Scope to a Long Range Precision Scope or mounting a Designated Marksman Scope or Sniper Optics Scope on a weapon which doesn't already have a scope.

A combination which becomes possible with the Advanced Optics Mod is mounting a Designated Marksman Scope on weapons like the Mk14 or HK417, which lets you shoot out to range 2 with a very minimal penalty to hit at range 0. For a larger reduction in close range accuracy, you can go with the Sniper or Long Range Precision Scope on these sorts of rifles as well.

Another option with DMS- and SOS-equipped scopes is mounting the offset-mount reflex sight for close work. With weapons like the HK417, this is an excellent, if high-cost option, at 4 points for the SOS/offset combo.

For a little boost in back-up close range protection, you can also mount the Mini Reflex sight on both the DMS and SOS optics, but not the LRPS.

The All-Rounder

Usually you don't have all-rounders unless you have very few RPs to spend or too many - either one man has to fill several roles, or you've already got enough specialists to cover the other roles and you can put an all-rounder onto your roster. The All-Rounder is set-up to engage targets both at range 0 and range 1, though perhaps not as effectively as the others.

The cheapest option for the all-rounder is to mount a Mini Reflex sight on a 1.5x-2.5 optical sight, which would give +1 to Defeat Cover at range 0, and +1 to Kill at range 1, all for 2 RP.

Tied for average options for the All-Rounder is the 3x-4x Optical Sight w/Top Mount Reflex, already mentioned. The other 3 RP option is to mount a Reflex Sight with a CCO 3x Magnifier, which will give +1 to Defeat Cover and +1 to Attack at range 0 but only a +1 to Attack at range 1. By comparison, the top-mount reflex will only give a +1 to Defeat Cover at range 0. Pick the one which best suits your weapon and your style.

Two options which give exactly the same bonus of +1 to Defeat Cover and +1 to Attack at both range 0 and range 1 is to mount a 3x-4x Optical Sight with an Offset Reflex (cost 4, loadout 2) or a holographic sight with a 3x magnifier (same price). Which appeals more is up to the player - the differences are cosmetic - the optical/offset combo has an added bonus at range 2, which only makes a difference for machine guns.

A slightly odd-ball all-rounder combination is the designated marksman sight in combination with the offset reflex. At a cost of 3, it gives +1 to Attack and Defeat cover at range 0, a +1 to Attack at range 1, and allows Attacks at the weapons's range 1 kill number at range 2.

The Group Killer

These soldiers, usually equipped with GPMGs/LMGs or underslung grenade launchers, should be equipped for the ranges the player expects to engage targets at. Since the UGL is not affected by sights, the sight should be chosen for the rifle portion of the weapon.

When speaking of SAWS/LMGs/GPMGs, they will all benefit from magnification, especially via the 3x-4x Optical Sight, but if more close-range combats are expected, switch back to the Reflex Sight. Another bargain alternative is again the 1.5x-2.5x optical sight for a single RP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While doing further research on optics, I ran across this sight, which I had heard about before but didn't realize how cool it was.

Elcan SpecterDR 1x/4x Dual Role Sight

Definitely putting this in v1.1 of the sights and scopes mod.

Dual Role 1x/4-6x Optical Sight: (ELCAN SpecterDR 1x/4x Dual Role)

RP Cost: 5

+1 to Kill and Defeat Cover rolls at Range 0, 1
+1 to Kill rolls at range 2.
Cannot be combined with other sights or scopes.
Limit one per weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.