Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor McDowall
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this game recently, new from my FLGS at a reasonable discount. When I opened it up I was horrified (well I was preparing for Halloween) to discover that one meeple had a stump for a leg and that one card had a sizable patch of a torn layer from the back.

Of course I emailed Valley Games on two support email addresses I found from the geek but they must have been old ones -at least I have had no replies. Can anyone help me to contact them for new parts if possible.

(In case you're wondering the game is still playable (I think the game is great -like a fantastically smooth and simple lovechild of Lunar and El Grande) but our enjoyment is rather stifled by the the lack of intrigue that the damaged card invokes, not to mention the lack of support we have managed to find.

The email addresses I used were..

service@valleygames.ca <-- as used on a form on their website (I think)
julie@valleygames.ca <-- as found in a BGG posting

If anyone knows of any further ways to contact them, please let me know.

[edited for semantic make-sensiness]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Valley Games is dead, and has been for years*. There is no support. Maybe a BGG user will have the bits you need, otherwise, your only recourse is to return he game for a refund, or sleeve the cards.

* Something to do with a couple of dodgy kickstarter failures, and a rather spectacular legal drama. See the Up Front forums for rather more information than any sane person needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
Valley Games is dead, and has been for years*. There is no support. Maybe a BGG user will have the bits you need, otherwise, your only recourse is to return he game for a refund, or sleeve the cards.

* Something to do with a couple of dodgy kickstarter failures, and a rather spectacular legal drama. See the Up Front forums for rather more information than any sane person needs.

And there was this too: Knizia taking Valley Games to court

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kennedy

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you'd be better off whittling a new meeple from scratch.

It's worth letting the store know and they may want to just give you a meeple, or a set to replace the bad one if they carry bits. It's at most a few pennies.

Agreed that it is a rather interesting little game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor McDowall
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your replies, I had no idea about that company and their dodgy reputation. Especially since their website is still out there!

For what it's worth I think most gamers would be on the side of the designers in these disputes. My girlfriend and I met Reiner Knizia a while ago and he seemed to be a really nice guy, it bothers me to think he may be embroiled in needless expensive litigation. And that other companies (I'm thinking Eagle Games) might have been encouraged to follow suit or may do in the future. It is in nobodies best interest that good designers be discouraged from their creative pursuits. And yet I can empathise (only slightly) with the thought processes of a company director clutching at straws -trying anything to save his company. I do wish they'd just pay up though.

The meeple is not a huge issue, we can cope with that. The card is the bigger, uglier problem. Quality control really messed up there. I had thought of sleeving the public deck, does anyone know which sleeves will fit AND hide the back side of the cards?

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're in the UK. The game is damaged. It's not fit for purpose. Take it back to the retailer for a full refund (and get a copy in trade or in the BGG marketplace) or for a significant discount*. Them's your rights.

Americans seem to look to publishers to make good (and are screwed in situations like this), our laws in the UK and EU permit (and encourage) us to look to the retailer to make good (and we are not screwed in cases like this**).

*enough to pay for sleeves with opaque backs.

** of course, that adds to the cost of goods we buy, but it's a form of collective insurance and worth every penny in the case of OOP games***

*** this situation (manufacuters out of busiess or no longer supporting the goods they made) was one of the main reasons for our decades-old laws making retailers responsible for the goods they sell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor McDowall
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sure, I understand all of that but have probably left it too late due to attempts to contact the company involved. Besides my beef is not with the shop, what you are describing is a very quick route from FLGS to LGS or even UnFLGS.

I have all the pieces and the game is definitely playable. I can afford a few sleeves and I'd rather keep the pristine but flawed copy than chance it on a 2nd hand one (I'm sure we all know people for whom that didn't work out well). I'm counting my blessings here and will attempt to mod the game to suit us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.