Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: Publication and distribution rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Pinkley
United States
Avondale
AZ
flag msg tools
A rulebook a day keeps the AP away.
badge
Imagine all the people living for today.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not very savvy on how exactly publication and distribution works on the micro level, but I do know that there are certain companies I will never purchase a game from, the primary one being Eagle-Gryphon Games. I'm not really interested in any arguments on why I should feel differently about them as I feel I have more than enough information on their dealings to have made a rational, moral decision. However, this leaves me with a dilemma as I would really like the game but I can't seem to figure out how I'm supposed to get an English copy in the US without them having handled the product at some point. Could someone help me better understand how this all works?
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Washington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to take a shot at this. Correct me if I am wrong.

Eagle Gryphon has the distribution rights for the English language version in North America. Czech Games Edition is the publisher of the English editions.

Czech Games Edition has in the past allowed various companies to publish/print TTA and distribute it, and it looks like this is still the case in other markets, like Iello in the French market and Cranio Creations in the Italian market. But for the English version, CGE decided to publish it themselves, but Eagle either

a) had distibution rights that extended past their publishing rights.
b) renegotiated for or were told they could only have distribution rights

Either way, Eagle ran a KS starter for the 3rd edition.
Why you would not want to support a company who used KS to clear their warehouse and subsidize a limited reprint of a soon to be obsolete version of a great game is beyond me? But lets not dwell on it and feel free to search for the other threads of salt and vitriol about this.

Anyway, since CGE is publishing the English edition and there were copies of it were available at Essen. The versions available via ebay and on this forum should all be CGE copies at the moment, so that is an option. You will pay more money for the shipping and euro to dollar exchange, but that will be cash Eagle /Gryphon does not see.

Hey, I did not get ninja'd. Hot damn!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CGE will be at BGGCON next week and offered a pre-order system for people to buy their game direct from CGE. So, if you are going to BGGCON or know anyone who is, that is one option. The pre-order is closed, but there may be copies still left if someone didn't collect their pre-order.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaphariGames wrote:
I'm not very savvy on how exactly publication and distribution works on the micro level, but I do know that there are certain companies I will never purchase a game from, the primary one being Eagle-Gryphon Games. I'm not really interested in any arguments on why I should feel differently about them as I feel I have more than enough information on their dealings to have made a rational, moral decision. However, this leaves me with a dilemma as I would really like the game but I can't seem to figure out how I'm supposed to get an English copy in the US without them having handled the product at some point. Could someone help me better understand how this all works?
Order from the UK like I did a few weeks ago.

Thx
jonpfl
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jonpfl wrote:
SaphariGames wrote:
I'm not very savvy on how exactly publication and distribution works on the micro level, but I do know that there are certain companies I will never purchase a game from, the primary one being Eagle-Gryphon Games. I'm not really interested in any arguments on why I should feel differently about them as I feel I have more than enough information on their dealings to have made a rational, moral decision. However, this leaves me with a dilemma as I would really like the game but I can't seem to figure out how I'm supposed to get an English copy in the US without them having handled the product at some point. Could someone help me better understand how this all works?
Order from the UK like I did a few weeks ago.

Thx
jonpfl
Which site did you order from?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
jonpfl wrote:
SaphariGames wrote:
I'm not very savvy on how exactly publication and distribution works on the micro level, but I do know that there are certain companies I will never purchase a game from, the primary one being Eagle-Gryphon Games. I'm not really interested in any arguments on why I should feel differently about them as I feel I have more than enough information on their dealings to have made a rational, moral decision. However, this leaves me with a dilemma as I would really like the game but I can't seem to figure out how I'm supposed to get an English copy in the US without them having handled the product at some point. Could someone help me better understand how this all works?
Order from the UK like I did a few weeks ago.

Thx
jonpfl
Which site did you order from?
I ordered from leisure games (UK) but they don't have any copies available (just checked).

I know when I ordered my copy a few weeks ago there were a few online stores in the UK that had copies. If I find one, I will post.

Edit : Just found a copy at Gameslore in the UK. It is £35 (which I assume is like $65 or $70). Pretty expensive but I also ordered Concordia Salsa.

Thx
jonpfl
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Gameslore may have some in stock still.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
I think Gameslore may have some in stock still.
The Gameslore site gives this message when trying to check out with United States in the destination:

Quote:
Select Shipping Destination - Your order has exceeded the shipping tables defined by the supplier, therefore it is not possible to calculate the shipping cost. Please contact the supplier with this information as they will be happy to process your order and will then be able to correct the shipping tables.
I sent a message to Gameslore asking about it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I did so as well on Monday, and I received the following:

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you for your enquiry. We are sorry that it is taking some time to be
able to quote for the shipping of Through The Ages: A New Story Of
Civilisation to the US, this is due to a system error. We shall let you know once we have been able to obtain the correct quote for the size of the
parcel you have requested. Please accept our apologies that this is taking
longer than we would normally like.

Kind regards

Suzanne
So I guess we wait?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Brum
United States
Ewa Beach
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good News.....Eagle-Gryphon has started shipping the game! It;s scheduled to arrive Tuesday.meeple
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
River Vale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldwing2001 wrote:
Good News.....Eagle-Gryphon has stated shipping the game! It;s scheduled to arrive Tuesday.meeple
It's like you didn't even bother...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
SaphariGames wrote:
I'm not very savvy on how exactly publication and distribution works on the micro level, but I do know that there are certain companies I will never purchase a game from, the primary one being Eagle-Gryphon Games. I'm not really interested in any arguments on why I should feel differently about them as I feel I have more than enough information on their dealings to have made a rational, moral decision. However, this leaves me with a dilemma as I would really like the game but I can't seem to figure out how I'm supposed to get an English copy in the US without them having handled the product at some point. Could someone help me better understand how this all works?
I ordered an English copy from Germany. Unfortunately the box is huge so the shipping made the whole thing cost $81, which is a lot more than I was hoping for, but I'm okay with that. The game is worth it.

Unfortunately I couldn't do the same for The Gallerist, which has their logo plastered all over it. It's such a pretty game otherwise. I did forego the Kickstarter and waited until my FLGS got it, so at least most of my money stayed out of their hands.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldwing2001 wrote:
Good News.....Eagle-Gryphon has started shipping the game! It;s scheduled to arrive Tuesday.meeple
Why would you post this here?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Brum
United States
Ewa Beach
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I'm sharing my personal "Publication & Distribution" information and experience. meeple
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Mesa wrote:
Unfortunately I couldn't do the same for The Gallerist, which has their logo plastered all over it. It's such a pretty game otherwise. I did forego the Kickstarter and waited until my FLGS got it, so at least most of my money stayed out of their hands.
I had similar thoughts about Gallerist, although possbily more becuase it WAS EGG therefore was stuck in my mind from not being willing to pay them for it. I figured a second hand copy will come along at some point, but then by then it'll just be another game of many that I don't need and won't miss never playing, even if it's pretty good.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldwing2001 wrote:
Because I'm sharing my personal "Publication & Distribution" information and experience. meeple
Maybe try reading more than just the subject line of the thread?

Back on topic...
I went back and forth with GamesLore via email trying to get the shipping rates to the US, and this is the answer at this point:

GamesLore Customer Service wrote:
Thanks for your email. We are sorry it has been a while since you initially asked about shipping to the US. We are currently experiencing an issue with charging the correct carriage for packages to the US over 2KG. We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. We shall contact you as soon as we have been able to obtain a quote and we can process your order, please accept or apologies for the delay and for any inconvenience cause.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dalley
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:

GamesLore Customer Service wrote:
Thanks for your email. We are sorry it has been a while since you initially asked about shipping to the US. We are currently experiencing an issue with charging the correct carriage for packages to the US over 2KG. We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. We shall contact you as soon as we have been able to obtain a quote and we can process your order, please accept or apologies for the delay and for any inconvenience cause.
Well let us know when they get back to you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, they got back to me, and...

Quote:
Dear Kevin,

Thank you for your previous email. The problem that we were previously
experiencing is now resolved so you should find you are able to add items to
your cart and proceed through the checkout without difficulty.

We are currently out of stock of the copies of Through The Ages: A New Story
Of Civilization that we brought back from Essen. It shall be available on
our website again once we have received more stock and it has been released
in the UK. If you would like notification when it comes in you can subscribe
to our weekly newsletter, this will keep you up to date with all our new
releases, pre-orders and restocks. You can subscribe by clicking the link in
the top right of our website. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Kind regards

Suzanne
Sad panda. soblue
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a similar email today. Too bad that they sold out before resolving the problem.

Since it's now out I couldn't put it in my cart to see the shipping charges, so I asked what they'd be. Here are shipping costs to the US, should anyone want to order when it's back in stock:

X1 Through The Ages: A New Story Of Civilization, including packing totalling 2070KG = £38.86
X2 = £48.49
X3 = £66.69
X4 = £66.69

(Specifically that's shipping to Ohio)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls