Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Presumably "captured ships" work within the rules of STAW, even in a fleet "pure" theme (though they are not technically pure). They would be a ship from one faction (including tech and weapons) while another faction (which captured them) would provide the crew and talents. It's questionable whether some tech or weapons from the capturing faction might also be provided.

This is going to be a "non pure" ship, but it makes sense for those of us who like thematic play.

It's the sort of thing that might be of more use to those who are trying to do a campaign since enemy ships "destroyed" might actually be captured. But I still think it's an interesting way to look at a multi-faction ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
I'm not sure what response you are looking for. A list of ships in Star Trek that were? A list of reasonable ones to use? The only one that was big in trek was the HMS Bounty (b'rel captured by Fed). I suppose there was the Robinson, but that is just a straight up retail release soon here. Also, Dukat's BoP. If you want reasonae ones to use, then use the most common from each race. Excelsiors, brel, ktinga, galor, etc.

Are you looking for a "this is reasonable?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:
I'm not sure what response you are looking for. A list of ships in Star Trek that were? A list of reasonable ones to use? The only one that was big in trek was the HMS Bounty (b'rel captured by Fed). I suppose there was the Robinson, but that is just a straight up retail release soon here. Also, Dukat's BoP. If you want reasonae ones to use, then use the most common from each race. Excelsiors, brel, ktinga, galor, etc.

I generally play fleet pure'ish, so it's just an idea that can be done within the rules to mimic the thematic multi faction ships without getting too out of hand. I do like thematic play. It adds a dimension of immersion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take Romulan Hijackers, and do a search-and-replace with your capturing faction of choice. Perhaps increase the point cost by one, since most factions aren't as sneaky as the Romulans. Playtest, then alter to taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
carbon_dragon wrote:
Church14 wrote:

I generally play fleet pure'ish, so it's just an idea that can be done within the rules to mimic the thematic multi faction ships without getting too out of hand. I do like thematic play. It adds a dimension of immersion.
Ok. I would generally say that you can put Captains, Talents, and Crew from faction A onto a ship of fqction B. The weapons and tech are almost always going to stay faction B on a captured ship. There can be some exceptions, like a Galor captured by Federation could be jury rigged to fire Fed photons. But I dont imagine Dominion would be able to conveniently shove a dorsal weapons array on a D'deridex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moppi Wurm
Germany
flag msg tools
Church14 wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:
Church14 wrote:

Ok. I would generally say that you can put Captains, Talents, and Crew from faction A onto a ship of fqction B. The weapons and tech are almost always going to stay faction B on a captured ship. There can be some exceptions, like a Galor captured by Federation could be jury rigged to fire Fed photons. But I dont imagine Dominion would be able to conveniently shove a dorsal weapons array on a D'deridex
I find the example with the Galor bad since it doesn't have a torpedo launcher to put the torps into Weapons shouldn't be interchangeable, even Quantum torps weren't easily put into photon torp launchers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gallagher
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Church14 wrote:

This is why I'm not big on matching the game to what we see on screen: in fact, pretty much every single ship we see firing a weapon has some sort of aft/dorsal/ventral/etc. weapon. All Federation ships have 360 degrees of phaser coverage, warbirds have weapon bumps on the upper and lower sections fore and aft, even Klingon birds-of-prey have rear-firing beams. The game is the game, and the show is the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
tiballagher wrote:
Church14 wrote:

This is why I'm not big on matching the game to what we see on screen: in fact, pretty much every single ship we see firing a weapon has some sort of aft/dorsal/ventral/etc. weapon. All Federation ships have 360 degrees of phaser coverage, warbirds have weapon bumps on the upper and lower sections fore and aft, even Klingon birds-of-prey have rear-firing beams. The game is the game, and the show is the show.
I would much rather they go for a fun game than religious devotion to onscreen purity. Still, I was just trying to answer the question as it was posed.

I go for ship pure in virtually every game I play. The only usual exception is the occasional 300sp beat stick match where all the "play nice" build rules go out the window and it is time for 90SP Voyager, kamehameha JH attack fighters, SomKor with HoodRiker, super volley of torpedo spam, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls