Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Fatula
United States
Niles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to some users here on BGG, I've recently come across the concept of package forwarding. These are some companies that will forward your package to you from a US shipping address for a lot less money than normal shipping methods. I have no idea if any of them are any good, but they look like a really good deal.

Shipito
Viabox
ShopMate (Australia)

If you use one of these services to get a copy of Leaving Earth, I'd appreciate it if you say something here about how it went.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frazer Eden
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Viabox looks like $20 Which is a lot cheaper than the shipping offered by Lumenaris...

I really like the look of this game so would go for this service. Has anyone used anything like this before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's all very nice, but it would have been even nicer if you (and/or your colleagues at Lumenaris) had not been giving me (and, going by some of the forum threads, apparently a lot of other people outside the US) the complete silent treatment to our inquiries about international shipping. Even replying with a "NO GO AWAY" would have been a thousand times better than completely ignoring our messages, which is the absolute worst thing you can do to your fans.

Despite all that, the game looks too interesting for me to give up this whole torturous attempt to get a damn copy just yet, so I will look into one of these forwarding services. So, thanks, I guess...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using shopmate. it reduced the total price of game plus shipping from $152 AUD to $102 AUD.

I've not received it yet but it arrived in the country today. hopefully i'll have it before the weekend.

certainly longer shipping time this way. but to save 1/3 of the price it is worthwhile.

Edit: package arrived safe and sound. Now to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frazer Eden
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just ordered using Viabox. I will report back after it arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
Passau
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambush3 wrote:
Welcome to the "Leaving Earth" club!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look forward to hearing your feedback Frazer, I'd probably follow suit if your experience is positive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Transgender pride | Unconditional love, pride, and support | LGBTQ Ally | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
Microbadge: Power Grid fanMicrobadge: Troyes fanMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Modern Art fanMicrobadge: Tigris & Euphrates fan
Telrak wrote:
Ambush3 wrote:
Welcome to the "Leaving Earth" club!
Mine arrived today!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frazer Eden
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When did you order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Transgender pride | Unconditional love, pride, and support | LGBTQ Ally | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
Microbadge: Power Grid fanMicrobadge: Troyes fanMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Modern Art fanMicrobadge: Tigris & Euphrates fan
Ambush3 wrote:
When did you order?
October 12. Arrived Nov 16. Played my first game tonight and lost to my math-genius son (naturally). I had one nasty major failure killing one of my brave cosmonauts that set me back, while he had nearly flawless flights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Ambush3 wrote:
When did you order?
October 12. Arrived Nov 16. Played my first game tonight and lost to my math-genius son (naturally). I had one nasty major failure killing one of my brave cosmonauts that set me back, while he had nearly flawless flights.
So its just a game of pure luck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So suppose I would like to try my luck at one of these services – how much does the game weigh? I need to enter a weight into the shipping calculators to get an estimate for the cost. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frazer Eden
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The BGGgame entry says it is 1.5 pounds and this is what I used to estimate shipping

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambush3 wrote:
The BGGgame entry says it is 1.5 pounds and this is what I used to estimate shipping
Oh, I did not know BGG listed the physical weight, where do I find that? I must be blind because I still can't find it anywhere. Anyway, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambush3 wrote:
That matches the packages I got. Also this from Joe:

width 5.5" 14.0 cm
height 8" 20.3 cm
depth 2" 5.1 cm
weight 1.5 lb 0.7 kg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Garcia Ballester
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
badge
Across Space and Time
mbmbmbmbmb
kispetya wrote:
Oh, I did not know BGG listed the physical weight, where do I find that? I must be blind because I still can't find it anywhere.
It's listed in the description of the version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Miller
Australia
Brisbane City
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered on 14 January, with shipping through Australia Post Shopmate.
My package arrived at their Portland warehouse on 26 January. Shipping from there to Brisbane cost AU$35, and my package arrived on Feb 3. Total shipping cost was AU$50 (US$11 + AU$35) compared to roughly AU$40 if I had just had it delivered direct. The upshot is that I avoided USPS's diabolical international shipping.

P.S - Exchange calculations are based on AU$1 = US$0.7 - roughly what it was at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls