Popular Tags: Insightful [+] [View All]
John Mackenzie
Australia
Newcastle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just watched a presentation that Matt Leacock gave as a Google Tech Talk, and it is an absolute masterclass in game design.

In particular, I really enjoyed seeing his initial sketches for Pandemic, and hearing about the iteration process through various playtesting observations.

I was wondering if people had a list of favourites that really clicked for them in terms of game design and game theory that they could share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Poon
msg tools
mbmb
I recommend the following video. It's not a video on game design specifically but on manufacturing games. It's definitely something to account for while designing games but maybe not as helpful if you are going to a publisher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvrmG7G7XqU
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Razo
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Extra Credits series has quite a few good ones... and the following two are a good start:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope people don't mind some shameless self-promotion here, but here's a video of a talk I gave over the weekend at the Metatopia game designer convention. It's the talk I wish the me from 15 years ago heard; it would have saved me a lot of time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Rob Daviau, this is a good talk by him:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grace McDermott
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
As strange as it might be to suggest - I've found Season 2 of Cards Against Humanity's Tabletop Deathmatch, as during the judging rounds, they ask questions about paralysis analysis, quarterbacking, etc - all basics, but entertaining to watch, and may provoke some thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryinth wrote:
As strange as it might be to suggest - I've found Season 2 of Cards Against Humanity's Tabletop Deathmatch, as during the judging rounds, they ask questions about paralysis analysis, quarterbacking, etc - all basics, but entertaining to watch, and may provoke some thoughts.
This. As a hobbyist game designer, the discussions on TTDM were really illuminating. Particularly the stuff about the practicalities of production and marketing, which came up all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
Netherlands
Barendrecht
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
This playlist has a few dozen game design videos:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFV_pTSMduaVkFTsd76mh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mancini
msg tools
All of the stuff on this thread is great. I just spent most of my day just watching all of it.

Thank you to everyone who posted the videos and/or lists of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls