Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Hendricks
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all! Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but for whatever reason I just can't get my brain wrapped around it. In the rulebook, it gives a Trashing Example. Specifically:

"Bob has played the word SMART. Resolving the abilities on the cards, he sees "If you trash a card from hand, gain a card costing 1¢ more". He decides to trash his 2¢ Fame card and gains a 3¢ D from the supply. Then resolves "You may trash the top card from two offer piles." He looks at the offer and decides to trash the 6¢ W and the 7¢ Q to reveal more options for his upcoming purchase. He then Scores the word for 1+2+1+3 = 7¢ and buys his card(s) up to that amount, placing them in his discard pile. Then he draws his next hand of 5 cards and his turn is over."

What I'm not understanding is how Bob can resolve the D's ability to trash the top card from two offer piles since he gained it from using the first card's ability, and by definition of gain it should have gone into his discard pile. What am I not seeing here?

Thanks for your time and attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fowers
United States
Centerville
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
both abilities were in the original word, not from what he bought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Butler
United States
Paynesville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, Mr. Fowers, but I'm with Jason on this one. Your "explanation" here clearly violates a basic rule of the game: that only special abilities on cards in a player's word may be activated. If Bob in the example played the word "smart," then he must have used the 3-cent "T" card's ability, which reads "You may trash a card from hand. If you do, + 1 cent." This is the only card in the game that could be in the word "smart."

I've looked through all the cards twice, and I assume that in order for Bob to spell "smart". as a 3-value word, he must have used an "A" from the Common Card display, that 3-cent "T" referred to above (not the "T" from the Starter Set, which has no special ability), and one other 1-value card (probably an "R" from the Starter Set). That would have left him one card in HAND to trash with that "T" card's ability.

Further, you say Bob used that extra cent to purchase a card worth more than the 3 purchasing power of his word; that card would have been the 4-cent "D" which reads "You may trash two available non-fame cards from the Offer." That "D" was NOT in the word "smart" played by Bob; it was purchased by him with the 3-point word value of the word "smart." Consequently, he should have put that "D" card in his discard pile along with the cards from the word he played. He cannot play that "D" card's ability on this turn.

This, I think, is why Jason had trouble getting his head around that trashing example. I did also.

Let me add this: I like this game a lot, purchased TWO Kickstarter copies, and gave one to my grandson, who also likes it. And I've backed the sequel on Kickstarter as well. I'm not writing this to criticize, but I think this questionable example deserves to be cleared up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fowers
United States
Centerville
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I misunderstood which abilities were on which cards. Yes, only the abilities used in the word activate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls