Mike White
United Kingdom
stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any advice welcome (on the geek topic of course).

Ideally something that gets a non game playing spouse (not my spouse) to play a game or two with her husband (which isn't me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid the only game I know of that is based on the Tudors is Divorced, Beheaded, Died, Divorced, Beheaded, Survived., which is pretty abstract. You could check out the rules here if you like:
http://www.piecepack.org/rules/Divorced.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are lots of games on Renaissance Italy, but it seems relatively few on England. I found a game called The Walled City: Londonderry & Borderlands which is listed as best with 3-4, but recommended for 2. There's also a game called Guilds of London which is supposedly coming out next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, here's another possibility:
Splendor is a game about gems. But to win, you likely will need to get the favor of some nobles. I believe a random selection of noble tiles is set out at the beginning of the game, and among those tiles are Henry VIII and his great-niece Mary Queen of Scots. Splendor is not a game with a huge amount of theme, but it has good art, and the chips are nice and heavy. It's also relatively simple and has been mentioned as a good gateway game. Here's a picture of the noble tiles:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was thinking of Splendor. It isn't really a Tudor theme, but it does have Renaissance-style art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking of Splendor. It isn't really a Tudor theme, but it does have Renaissance-style art.
Henry VIII was a Tudor king, actually. But Splendor isn't thematic at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike White
United Kingdom
stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks all.

I have splendor, so the husband has played it. It's ok. But the theme is mono-molecular!

I was surprised at the lack of KHVIII themed games when I looked. Especially given the resurgence of interest in the period in recent times, helped by the excellent (albeit cheesy) Tudors series.

I'll keep searching, but I suspect the answer to this will be in branching out to other games of similar period. Whatever happens the suggestion needs to be a good game first and foremost. No point suggesting Tudors monopoly!

Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you accept Elizabeth I as Tudor (which you should), there's a nice free print-and-play wargame on sail ships duels in the period: Spanish Fury, Sail!.
It's really simple but could actually teach something.

At the beginning of the Tudor age there are the Wars of the Roses of course: Sun of York is a card game of land combat in the era, with individual leaders and units. It has mixed reviews but indeed it's quite gateway.

Another choice could be the block wargame Richard III: Wars of the Roses, that's a more rounded overall treatment for the York/Tudor struggle.

Virgin Queen is an excellent game on Elizabeth I age, but it's not a gateway the slightest nor it's suitable for 2 players only.

Another classic is the old Avalon Hill's Kingmaker.

Same for the free p&p Henry VIII Intrigue in the Tudor Court party card game.

Blood & Roses is a tactical wargame with a Bosworth scenario, but I won't call it gateway, nor I'd recommend it to non-wargamers as a first choice. Otherwise, it's well-worth checking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shakespeare, perhaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of other things that occurred to me:

Here I Stand is not a gateway game, but it takes place during Henry VIII's lifetime, and England gets several victory points for producing a male heir.

Here's a variant of Werewolf (not a 2p game, unfortunately) that was played using a Tudor theme:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/439759/tudors-royal-decree-...

So there are a couple of games that are Tudor-themed.

Another thing you could do is pick an aspect of the Tudor story to focus on and look for games about that. There are lots of games about pleasing the king, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike White
United Kingdom
stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx for all the recs!

Thumb up
 tip