Leverett
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all

So I've now played a 7 games of what is the current playtest version of this upcoming expansion.

I've played both sides, Axis 5 times, Allies 2 times. 6 times vs Karin (my wife and main sounding board), once vs Nick, my graphic designer. All 2 person games.

Right now the game adds 100 new cards and 8 substitute cards. There are pieces for France and China, and the 8 substitute cards are largely to reflect the new pieces. So cards that represented the French with UK pieces and the Chinese with Americans now bring in pieces from their own country.

I'm actually on major revision version 6 in my process, but the first 3 versions had a separate deck for China/France. But it just did not work with a seventh player. I mean, we had fun messing around, but there was no way to make new Axis cards awesome enough to overcome the turn advantage without getting ridiculous, which then brings the game down to luck of the draw, and total scripting.

The game has a very different tempo as the Axis immediately confronted with a hostile Army in Western Europe and China.

To the advantage of the Axis is the nuisance that the Allies forces are a bit more fractured. So for example, a Chinese Army in China isn't going to be able to battle the Sea of Japan.

Right now I'm working on two variants for adding the new cards. The "standard" way to add the new cards is to substitute the 8 cards and add the rest of the cards to the deck and begin. The only difference in the rules is that if you don't discard at least one card during the discard step, you lose a victory point.

So far we've had a blast. None of the games have gone the full 20 rounds and I haven't lost a game yet, so it seems like the ass-kickingness factor has been ratcheted up.

One card I've been particularly fond of is:

Germany - Synthetic Fuel: Use one per turn when you build an Army. Discard the top 2 cards of your draw deck to build an additional Army.

Last game I had it down with Blitzkrieg and Bias for Action. I felt like Karin played the UK flawlessly, and yet painfully poorly with the Soviets. You can imagine with these three cards down what a tough time the Soviets might have. To her credit, she used her arsenal of Bletchley Park, Keep Calm and Carry on, and Enigma to spoil the Barbarossa, but she needed to be putting down her Soviet Response cards instead of being greedy and putting out Frontal Assault on turn 2, and on turn 3:

Quantity has a Quality All Its Own: Use once per turn when you build an Army. Discard a Build Army card from hand to build an additional Army.

Apparently she was going to play out Defense of the Motherland next but the Italians hassled Ukraine for a couple turns until the German war machine was in gear. Eventually she got down:

Government Evacuates to Kuibyshev:You can build Armies in Siberia like it was your home space. Soviet Armies in Siberia, Kazakhstan, or Vladivostok are never out of supply

but it was too late.

The second variant is deck construction parameters, and then allow normal play but with custom decks. This I'm very worried about figuring out play balance, and avoiding paper-scissors-rock, and preventing just one kind of deck dominating. I might not include the constructed rules in the end, as frankly what we're doing now is so fun that I'd rather publish it with the one set of rules then never publish it because I couldn't nail a constructed version.

Sorry if this seems a bit stream of consciousness. We've just been having so much fun I wanted to share....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IanBrody wrote:
Sorry if this seems a bit stream of consciousness.
Not at all! Many thanks Ian for an interesting read.

Well I'm both delighted and disappointed by this. Delighted to hear that this excellent game is going to get another expansion. Disappointed not to hear yet of the game system spreading into other areas - the Napoleonic Wars for example!

Sorry - I'm just being greedy. Great work Ian - I look forward to seeing the expansion which will be an auto-buy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Leverett
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:
IanBrody wrote:
Sorry if this seems a bit stream of consciousness.
Disappointed not to hear yet of the game system spreading into other areas - the Napoleonic Wars for example!
Napoleonic is still a bit down the line....

But Victory or Death, The Peloponnesian War is coming. And I'm working on a QG: The Great War.

Thanks for your support, John!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IanBrody wrote:
But Victory or Death, The Peloponnesian War is coming. And I'm working on a QG: The Great War.
Awesome! I can't wait!

This is excellent news - I see it's on the website too. No entry on the Geek as yet, but for those interested in learning more :-

http://www.grigglinggames.com/shop/historical-games/victory-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news that the work is going strong! One question though: will this expansion require Air Marshal expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds awesome, Ian. Very much looking forward to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Leverett
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olekman wrote:
Great news that the work is going strong! One question though: will this expansion require Air Marshal expansion?
You will not need the Air Marshal expansion; but 12 of the 108 cards are only usable with Air Marshal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Johnstone
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Rick inator
Microbadge: Rick and Morty fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Quartermaster General fanMicrobadge: Blokus fanMicrobadge: Risk fan
Will this be a commercial release or is it leaning towards a Kickstarter? Btw I just had a giant smile when I learned of this thread and that you're still adding more to Quartermaster General. By far one of the best and easiest WW2 games to get to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Leverett
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CountingGardens wrote:
Will this be a commercial release or is it leaning towards a Kickstarter? Btw I just had a giant smile when I learned of this thread and that you're still adding more to Quartermaster General. By far one of the best and easiest WW2 games to get to the table.
thanks for the kind words!

I will do a kickstarter, and sell it through stores too. Kickstarter is too valuable a marketing tool to ignore - as I learned the hard way on the original game release, and on the Destination: Neptune release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Johnstone
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Rick inator
Microbadge: Rick and Morty fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Quartermaster General fanMicrobadge: Blokus fanMicrobadge: Risk fan
Very cool! I definitely look forward to it. Hopefully we will see some new cards for Japan to make an impact on other sections of the board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tominko boarder
United Kingdom
Hull
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Waiting for the GREAT WAR......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Johnstone
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Rick inator
Ian, have you ever thought about doing elite types of units, ie, special tanks or anything like that that are harder to remove or deal with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Leverett
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have, but in every case decided to add the capability via a card, like Jet Fighters, Dive Bombers, and Battleship Repair.

There is a different game to be made with elite pieces, that's more tactical. The pieces in QG are really to express supply and influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Leverett
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a new thread up soliciting blindtesters.

Also, just for those of you who follow these things, I change a card I peeked at above:

Government Evacuates to Kuibyshev
Siberia is now the Soviet Union Home space, and a supply space for the Soviet Union (only). Place the Soviet Union supply space token on Siberia. Moscow is no longer a Supply space for any country.

-----------------
It's 1812 all over again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
any idea when "Victory or Death" will have a BGG entry? (so I can subscribe and follow the progress)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Leverett
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
any idea when "Victory or Death" will have a BGG entry? (so I can subscribe and follow the progress)
Kickstarter will finally happen next month, so I we'll look forward to that, assuming it does fund. I won't be the publisher, so I'm not entirely sure how to go about getting the game listed on BGG. I am very anxious to for Victory or Death to move along. When I was going to publish it, I was shooting for an October Kickstarter. The design was ready then, although I admit that a couple minor rewrites since then have made things just a drop clearer - save myself from answering a few questions. Right now the project is with Nick and the publisher, Plastic Soldier Company. I'm effectively done, except for double checking that the final art/design matches the prototype game-wise.

So I was going to wait for the VoD Kickstarter to be over before going ahead with the QG: Alternate Histories but I can't wait any longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IanBrody wrote:
John_VW wrote:
Kickstarter will finally happen next month, so I we'll look forward to that, assuming it does fund. I won't be the publisher, so I'm not entirely sure how to go about getting the game listed on BGG. I am very anxious to for Victory or Death to move along. When I was going to publish it, I was shooting for an October Kickstarter. The design was ready then, although I admit that a couple minor rewrites since then have made things just a drop clearer - save myself from answering a few questions. Right now the project is with Nick and the publisher, Plastic Soldier Company. I'm effectively done, except for double checking that the final art/design matches the prototype game-wise.

So I was going to wait for the VoD Kickstarter to be over before going ahead with the QG: Alternate Histories but I can't wait any longer.

Will you announce it on this board so we can know when the ks is live?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Leverett
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I will definitely announce everything here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must say that I'm curious - will this expansion make Latin America and surrounding sea zones more active?

Even a vague answer would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Leverett
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, just a drop more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IanBrody wrote:
Yes, just a drop more.
Is there an ETA?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Leverett
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so this is the first time I've said it in public, but I think we're close enough now. The Kickstarter will begin on Monday, January 25.

That means the game should arrive in time for Gen Con, and if I'm very lucky, Origins and WBC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls