Fury of Dracula (Third/Fourth Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: I didn't like Mr. Jack - could I like FOD? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heather Stanley
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Possibly a stupid question, in which case my apologies. I've been reading the positive comments and reviews and I'm very interested except that I got Mr. Jack (in New York) to play as 2 player last year and found it tremendously boring. The movements as Jack were fairly obvious and - well we just weren't engaged or excited.

Point of reference: other games we love include Eldritch Horror and Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective.

So, is FOD essentially the same kind of game as Mr. Jack (straight hidden movement and deduction) or is it quite different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Buffington
United States
Honey Brook
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think (w/o playing Mr. Jack...) that FoD has more variability with Dracula's encounter cards and powers (if you play skip right to "advanced" mode), which make it more interesting.

There are also time where Drac might want to ambush a hunter directly instead of hiding if he thinks they are weak or if he's protecting a baby vampire or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Microbadge: I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...Microbadge: Jack in the Box fanMicrobadge: JugglerMicrobadge: This is a mooseover.Microbadge: Panda Express lover
I didn't like Mr Jack and loved FoD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kind of rolling the dice myself. One of my group didn't like Specter Ops I don't know if it was the hidden movement, or the fact that it's just a bit devoid on relatable theme. Sounds a bit like you with Mr. Jack.

But, I like the look of this so much, I figured I'd take a shot and see if it can turn the ship around on the hidden movement genre for my group.

From what I've seen and read, this is just dripping with theme, which my group likes. And it's got way more rules. We'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but I'd recommend trying before buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hstanley wrote:
So, is FOD essentially the same kind of game as Mr. Jack (straight hidden movement and deduction) or is it quite different?
The latter. Very different. To me, Mr.Jack/Whitechapel/Scotland Yard/Sherlock Holmes... are on one side of the river, while FOD is on the other one entirely.

See FOD as an adventure game: yes there's that hidden movement, bluff and guessing, but the meat and potatoes of the game is the combat. The hunters only win condition is: kill Drac. There are hit points, weapons, power-ups, a clever card combat system with 2 levels of damage (bites and wounds) and so on.

Meanwhile, Drac has the time on his side so sometimes getting caught at the appropriate moment could be a strategy.
For example, Mina is always weakened (has 1 bite), she is upon Drac and with a correct guess, she moves: Drac is caught! But wait, there's an encounter card on that hideout with a rumor token. Drac decides not to ambush. From Day to Dusk phase, it's combat time: Drac flies away after an inconclusive combat.

Now it's Night, Mina is stuck in place with a hidden encounter... probably it's a vampire and that's dangerous because Drac potentially could get as far as 7 victory points if it matures (4 for the vampire, +3 for the rumor token): so she decides to use her action to resolve it and Search: it's a vampire!

... And now Drac with an evil smile reveals his "Seduction" event card: "If there's a vampire encounter that hunter is bitten".

But because Mina already has 1 bite, she's defeated (discard items, train tokens, events and she's moved to an hospital) while Drac earns victory points for a job well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
All hail Xipuloxx the Unsound!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Mr. Jack Pocket, but as I understand it, it's at least similar to the other Mr. Jack games. And as the others have said, it's nothing like Fury of Dracula.

I don't really agree with Claudio that combat is the "meat and potatoes" of FoD, but it is an important part of it. So is using the right cards at the right time. It's certainly not a pure deduction game, and even the deduction aspects of it don't really feel like those in Mr. Jack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The latter. Very different. To me, Mr.Jack/Whitechapel/Scotland Yard/Sherlock Holmes... are on one side of the river, while FOD is on the other one entirely.
Dracula is more like Bismarck than it is like those games. Those are true cat-n-mouse games: the point is to catch. Dracula is a thematic combat game where the point is to kill, but one side has a powerful but lone fighter and thus usually wants to run and pick his battles carefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls