Hide
11 Posts

BGG» Forums » BoardGameGeek Events » BGG.CON

Subject: Virtual Reality Game Night! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jane F
msg tools
New to BGG.CON this year, Virtual Reality Game Night!

When/Where?
Time: Thursday, Nov 19th, 7:30pm – midnight

The Event
Never tried VR before? We will be giving demos with the Oculus DK2 and HTC Vive to showcase new game apps on our platform, including a soon to be announced, even better version of our tabletop prototype (http://www.fastcompany.com/3049101/tech-forecast/dd-meets-vr...)

What is Virtual Reality?
VR is just like it sounds – a computer generated reality to explore. It uses a VR HMD (head mounted display), headphones and controllers to immerse a user into a virtual environment.

What is AltspaceVR?
AltspaceVR is building a communication platform for virtual reality. Share a room and the web with anyone in the world! Our users meet in virtual spaces to create shared experiences around anything on the internet, whether that be playing games, watching YouTube or giving a presentation.

I’m interested, what’s next?
- Swing by ECL 1105/1107 Thursday Night
- No pre-registration
- Free event

Don’t miss your opportunity to play games in virtual reality!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
We're excited to have AltspaceVR come and show off this cool new technology. I encourage y'all to stop in for a few minutes to check it out.

It's been added to the Official Schedule at 7:30pm on Thursday evening in room 1105.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Young
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
This looks pretty interesting.

I'm volunteering in the BGG library that night, but I hope I can check this event out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not everybody reacts to VR in the same way. I highly recommend people don't overdo it.

The first night I had it, I used my Oculus for quite awhile with no ill effect. Then I played Doom for 15 minutes. After that I was laid up in bed for 2 hours and felt queasy for even longer. VR Sickness is for real.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Weaver
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
fivebygames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a blast. I'm terribly nearsighted and not at all up on the latest vr tech. How well do these systems work for people who wear thick spectacles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Wooden
United States
California
flag msg tools
J Young wrote:
This looks pretty interesting.

I'm volunteering in the BGG library that night, but I hope I can check this event out.
Awesome, hopefully you can make it - we look forward to seeing you there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Wooden
United States
California
flag msg tools
jasonwocky wrote:
Not everybody reacts to VR in the same way. I highly recommend people don't overdo it.

The first night I had it, I used my Oculus for quite awhile with no ill effect. Then I played Doom for 15 minutes. After that I was laid up in bed for 2 hours and felt queasy for even longer. VR Sickness is for real.
Sim sickness is definitely something we take very seriously. There are definitely some folks that are more sensitive to VR than others, and the type of experience that you try has a lot to do with it. First Person Shooters are generally not great things to try for a VR newbie (or anyone, really). Its also bad if the experience was not designed for VR, or has poor performance.

Our software is explicitly designed from the ground up for VR. AltspaceVR has thousands of testers and an average use time of 25 mins, no ill effects reported. We regularly have folks in that spend 2-5 hour stretches in Altspace hanging out. We are demoing with the HTC Vive, Oculus DK2, and top notch hardware to ensure smooth performance.

I hope you come through so we can show you the Vive - the superb tracking makes it incredibly comfortable!

breakfastcore wrote:
This sounds like a blast. I'm terribly nearsighted and not at all up on the latest vr tech. How well do these systems work for people who wear thick spectacles?
Both the Vive and the DK2 headsets fit most glasses comfortably (depending on the frame of said glasses). I wear glasses myself and am very nearsighted; I spend a few hours in VR every day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Does your VR work for people who don't have stereoscopic vision?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
I lack stereoscopic vision and used Oculus Rift before. It's good, but it's not the mind-blowing experience that some other people seem to describe. It mostly just looks like a normal video game with a huge screen that's close to your eye, at least to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Wooden
United States
California
flag msg tools
trenttsd wrote:
Morganza wrote:
I lack stereoscopic vision and used Oculus Rift before. It's good, but it's not the mind-blowing experience that some other people seem to describe. It mostly just looks like a normal video game with a huge screen that's close to your eye, at least to me.
Indeed, results may vary here. I have one acquaintance that insists that he can see stereo in the headset while he can't see stereo in real life. Others have reported experiences similar to what Trent wrote above.

There have also been some interesting developments in using VR to treat eye conditions, like my friend James Blaha at Vivid Vision.

Its definitely worth a try, I will be interested to find out how it works for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lee
United States
California
flag msg tools
This is the new version of the tabletop prototype, complete with an official partnership with Wizards of the Coast!

http://gizmodo.com/yep-you-can-play-dungeons-dragons-in-vr-n...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls