Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Douglas Walker
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is the AFA's turn and a German U-boat is alone in a British convoy area, (no AFA units but an undamaged convoy) is there still a combat despite the fact that a convoy can't attack?

A similar question is if there are both allied and axis units in a sea area
but the axis is doing a LAND Blitz is there still a combat in the sea area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
dougw12 wrote:
If it is the AFA's turn and a German U-boat is alone in a British convoy area, (no AFA units but an undamaged convoy) is there still a combat despite the fact that a convoy can't attack?

A similar question is if there are both allied and axis units in a sea area
but the axis is doing a LAND Blitz is there still a combat in the sea area?
Hi Doug. Yes there is a combat, the SUBs shoot at the Convoys (sounds like they have no helpers, in which case they can't shoot back as they have no Naval Factors).

2nd question: No. During a Land Blitz you only perform activities 1.E and 1.F. (You can't even rebase your air units either, btw, which can be a pain, and a reason to call a full blitz!)

Cheers,
Dave L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Walker
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Great game so far.

BTW. Shouldn't there be some rule making Italy Neutral until the Germans take Paris so that the AFA doesn't whip out Libya on the first turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
dougw12 wrote:
Thanks. Great game so far.

BTW. Shouldn't there be some rule making Italy Neutral until the Germans take Paris so that the AFA doesn't whip out Libya on the first turn?
Hi Doug,

That's a reasonable point. Historically that is how it worked out, and I did have such a rule in the game at one point. It was dropped in order to give everyone more flexibility. (I don't like to force historical decisions on players if it can be helped ~ who's to say Italy couldn't have entered the war on September 2, 1939, either with an Italian attack somewhere, or an Allied attack vs. Italy?)

The interactions in North Africa on Turn 1 and 2 can be tremendously varied, which I find quite interesting. I've seen both sides in complete control from Morocco to the Levant by the end of Turn 2. It all depends on your (and the other side's) priorities. I like giving players choices, thus the historical limitation rule was dropped.

That said, I'm keen to add player's house rules and post them at www.blitzcommunity.com, so please let me know if you have an approach you favor.

Cheers,
Dave L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Walker
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule I would use that all IT marked units are limited in movement and combat the same as other major power neutrals and that Italian units and territory could not be attacked. At any time the Allies could declare war on Italy with the appropriate US entry cost. Also at any time Germany could declare Italy in the war with a with a US entry cost of 1.
However, I won't be using such a rule until I have real experience with how it may affect play balance.
Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Fries
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hi,

First of all, I really like the first impressions of this game. I have only played ftf once, and solitary a few starting game turns, but the game seems really intriguing, with a lot of historical flair.

Regarding Italy though, I don´t think the multitude of GT 1 options reflects the WW2 opening conditions in the Mediterranean region very well. Therefore why not:
1. Let Italy start GT 1 as a neutral (with it´s own production).
2. Let the Axis player decide whether to declare war with Italy on GT 1 or not, normal diplomatic DOW cost.
3. On GT 2 Mussolini blunders into the war and Greece! Thus Italy joins Axis and Greece AFA at no diplomatic costs.

This way Germany can take control over Italy, but at a price - maddening USA.
The Allies can declare war, and open up the Mediterranean theatre on GT 1, but also at a diplomatic price.
Italy/Mussolini has it´s short moment as a "free player" in WW2...

Best regards,

Patrik

Edit: 1 and 2 above are already stated by Doug. 3 stretches his game balance fears further, but seems historically attractive and doesn´t affect US entry compared with "vanilla version".
Edit 2: Regarding 3 above, perhaps a sequenced entry of Italy on GT 2 and Greece GT 3 (pre Barbarossa Balkan distraction) works better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls