Subject: Expansions mixed in with original = not quite as much fun? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we bought Dixit about a month ago and we've really enjoyed playing it with the kids. I recently bought Dixit Quest (which I believe has the same cards as Dixit 2) and mixed them in with the original cards right away.

One of the things my wife enjoyed with just the original cards was that it was pretty common to have several cards that all fit the given clue very well, and that made it really fun and challenging to guess the correct card.

Once we mixed the Dixit Quest cards into the original deck, with all of the additional cards, she says that we rarely have clues that match multiple cards anymore, just simply because due to more cards, the odds of having similar cards is less than it was with just the original deck. She actually doesn't like playing anymore because of this.

At first I dismissed what she was saying and just thought it was the luck of the draw, but after several more games using the mixed decks, I'm starting to think she's right. With more cards, we seem less likely to draw those similar cards, which makes those awesome rounds where you go, "wow, it could be any of these cards!" fewer and far between.

Does anyone else find this to be true? Is it better to play with each deck separately rather than mixing them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I played Dixit it was with a guy's set that he made himself -- mixing original Dixit cards with a bunch of art he found on Deviant Art and elsewhere. The cards were sleeved with a solid back. . . We had hundreds and hundreds of cards.

I don't think we ever had the problem you described.

My own personal Dixit set is just the base set. And with 6 people we ran out of cards and had to reshuffle the cards we already used back into the draw deck.

I'd much rather play with a bigger set of cards which is why I want to buy some expansions and mix them in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Entrecruzado
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eventually you´ll have the need of more cards... My advice is to buy more expansions. Playing everytime with the same 84 cards will lead you to repeat hints and of course, less replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't really had that problem, but I also have Dixit: Odyssey, so maybe it helps? Honestly I haven't analyzed all the cards that much. We seem to get at least couple similar ones every round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't have the problem you describe, but we choose to play with 8-card hands, because more variety is always better, for the original story teller as well as the bluffers.

Maybe that would help your situation too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
alienux wrote:

Does anyone else find this to be true? Is it better to play with each deck separately rather than mixing them?

The cards all being similar is a bit crutch-like, which is great for the first few games, but the clues need to evolve. Sure, f the clues are basic, you can get stuck with cards that don't fit but people already have that problem in the base game. Adding the expansions should slowly "force" players to adapt their clues and start coming up with better out-of-the-box clues that can be interpreted to multiple cards.

Obviously playing with kids can limit this somewhat depending on their age, but again, that's not much different than the base game alone.

Dixit, even more than most party games, is highly dependent on the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Shillington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.
badge
"You wouldn't worry half as much about what other people thought of you if you realized how rarely they actually did."
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking the same as the OP for a long time. The people in my group insist its all in my head, but I really do feel that each deck has its own common themes that are repeated among the cards which make it more likely that you'll have multiple cards that could match the clue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
troybowers wrote:
I've been thinking the same as the OP for a long time. The people in my group insist its all in my head, but I really do feel that each deck has its own common themes that are repeated among the cards which make it more likely that you'll have multiple cards that could match the clue.

Wouldn't that just force players to give clues that are even more vague then? It seems that you can just adjust your play style if this phenomenon is true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kennyj wrote:
troybowers wrote:

Wouldn't that just force players to give clues that are even more vague then? It seems that you can just adjust your play style if this phenomenon is true.

Actually, if similar cards are more likely, then you'd have more room to be more specific without being too obvious. The less chance of similar cards would cause more vague clues.

I have noticed that the same artist seems to have similar themes. I stopped buying after Odyssey because the art was starting to become too different from the original game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
Actually, if similar cards are more likely, then you'd have more room to be more specific without being too obvious.

I think that's exactly it. Having more varied cards and giving more vague clues is fine, but there is something really fun about being able to give a fairly specific clue and have multiple cards match perfectly. I think that was my wife's point. It was fun when we had more cards matching specific clues without having to be vague, because then it was even harder to guess the right card, and it just gave a sense of wonder about how well the cards went together.

Don't get me wrong, we still have fun, and we are having to use more vague clues, but there is something to be said for being able to give clues that aren't so vague and still having them match more cards, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:

I have noticed that the same artist seems to have similar themes. I stopped buying after Odyssey because the art was starting to become too different from the original game.

Have you seen the art for this years expansion? it looks both amazing and the most dixit-like (with last year's being the worst in both aspects)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
ayejae wrote:

Have you seen the art for this years expansion? it looks both amazing and the most dixit-like (with last year's being the worst in both aspects)

I've heard good stuff about it, but haven't had the opportunity to check it out yet.

Also a concern is that I'm running out of room in my Odyssey box...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Mc
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kennyj wrote:
The first time I played Dixit it was with a guy's set that he made himself -- mixing original Dixit cards with a bunch of art he found on Deviant Art and elsewhere. The cards were sleeved with a solid back. . . We had hundreds and hundreds of cards.

Jealous.
I've actually compiled the images of all of the Dixit cards from all the different versions and collected tons of other works from those same artists. Unfortunately, I'm still struggling with the price of printing hundreds of my own cards vs. picking up all of the expansions on sale.

kennyj wrote:
Once we mixed the Dixit Quest cards into the original deck, with all of the additional cards, she says that we rarely have clues that match multiple cards anymore, just simply because due to more cards, the odds of having similar cards is less than it was with just the original deck. She actually doesn't like playing anymore because of this.

Anyway, as others have stated, with a wider variety of cards you may have to get more creative with the clues. If more creativity equates to 'not quite as much fun' is a matter of personal preference. I believe I differ from your wife on that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bennett
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually went to your thread right now wondering the same question. I have a couple of the expansions, but I keep them separate and just rotate through the sets each time a play. I really would like to mix them up though just to have tons of cards at once, but...
I feel like each set of cards are made with a group of themes to be hidden in someway in each card. One artist is doing the 84 cards so they are all related with objects that have the same concepts to them many having multiple things going on in the picture"example with odyssey there is the mona lisa looking picture were she looks pregnant but also has a tentacle coming out of her dress….3 options right there". When you mix them together you start losing the themes relating from card to card.

What I love about the game is if I have a card with a crown on it and I think "I'll say King" I start to think, oh, but one of these cards might have a Lion on it, or is there one with a thrown…..and in thinking that it makes me try to think of a word that would better fit the crown. And if you ended up mixing something that has a lot of robots in it through that 84 cards the other players won't have any cards that relate to King and then they just throw away a card making it easier for people to guess your card.
To me what I love about this game is no matter how cleaver you think you are at what you say about your card, when someone else reveals there cards I like seeing how much there cards work more with my description than the one i picked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you only stick with original Dixit, Quest, and Odyssey, they're all illustrated by Marie Cardouat. I really like her style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.