Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

As a practice I don't store my games flat, rather I prefer to store them on their sides or ends, like books. For those of you who store your copy of Xia like this, how do you organize the components?

It'd be a shame to not use the special bins for the credit tokens. So how do you keep them from falling out without having to resort to tape to keep them in their bins? Do you bag everything else?

I typically use plastic sauce cups with lids, and/or bead dishes that stack (screw together) for organizing most my games. I'll go that way with Xia as a last resort but I really don't want to toss the insert. Looking for your experiences before I take this road.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Microbadge: Video Game ArtistMicrobadge: Obsidian Entertainment fanMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Silence! I kill you!Microbadge: Get off my lawn!
This is what I did, with foam sheets I got from work. You can stack it on the side. I had to glue some of the strips on the back to keep the foam tight against the insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ah, great idea!

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've kept the insert, but I have bagged most everything except the ships, dice and cards. It bugged me at first to not use the coin slots, but it bugged me more to have them constantly falling out.

In the coin slots I keep the dice or the PnP goods markers to change the demand on a planet. With everything snug in the larger bays (make sure the goods are arranged in one plane per type) and the ship boards on top in two piles nothing slips around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

As a practice I don't store my games flat, rather I prefer to store them on their sides or ends, like books. For those of you who store your copy of Xia like this, how do you organize the components?

It'd be a shame to not use the special bins for the credit tokens. So how do you keep them from falling out without having to resort to tape to keep them in their bins? Do you bag everything else?

I typically use plastic sauce cups with lids, and/or bead dishes that stack (screw together) for organizing most my games. I'll go that way with Xia as a last resort but I really don't want to toss the insert. Looking for your experiences before I take this road.

Thanks!

Rampage/Terror In Meeple City broke me of this habit. It was the first game that I owned that storing it upright on its side actually destroyed the board. Since then I refuse to store any of my games that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ender02 wrote:
Rampage/Terror In Meeple City broke me of this habit. It was the first game that I owned that storing it upright on its side actually destroyed the board. Since then I refuse to store any of my games that way.
Well then I'll be sure not to buy either of those games, then! I simply don't like stacking games on top of other games, for two reasons:
- Not an efficient use of cubic space.
- I hate the hassle of having to fish the bottom games out from under the pile... especially if you simply want to browse a game. This also goes with trying to maintain the whole "library" aspect to your games library. For instance, when I have guests, games stored the same as books are much more inviting/accessible to browsing than games stacked on top of each other.

But I digress off the topic. Sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:
I simply don't like stacking games on top of other games, for two reasons:
- Not an efficient use of cubic space.
Eh? You're gonna have to explain that one. I guess this could be true if you have a particular shelf size and game sizes that interact in such a way that stacking isn't as efficient as standing up games, but in general this isn't true as far as I can tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Watt
New Zealand
Wanganui
Wanganui
flag msg tools
badge
Play?
mbmbmbmbmb
I store mine flat as that shelf is not near to being filled up...though with my latest purchases it is getting close. Xia's box is one of the sturdiest I have seen, which means I am ok with putting smaller games on top of it, especially as they rarely stay there for a week without being taken somewhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

MentatYP wrote:
Eh? You're gonna have to explain that one.
From my experience, when I store games on end, especially on shelves that are about 12" apart vertically, there always seems to be less empty space around the games compared to what I see in pictures and videos of people who stack their games horizontally. I can put 15 games on a shelf stored vertically with perhaps a half inch of clearance above each game. But fill the same shelf with horizontal games and there always seems to be an inch or two at the top because you couldn't fit anything in that space, and not all the games are going to fit like bricks, so there's wasted space in those areas where you can't fit games.

And OF COURSE the same sort of empty space can be found when storing games vertically, but not as much, from my observations/experience. Plus like I mentioned above, when you go stacking games to make sure you squeeze out every last cubic inch, that creates a hassle when wanting to pull out one of the bottom or mid games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls