This is just for fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Ting
Australia
flag msg tools
A Flightpath Babylon 5 game would look like a giant hole in my wallet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
same here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Packwood
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More please

It'd be a good way to use the small scale Fleet Action miniatures put out by Agents of Gaming all those years ago...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will gladly take an Excalibur out for a spin.

.... Basically a Bioship before the Bioships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shriek shriek
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Waiting for shadow ship spoilers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting approach: all defense is fighters? (Well, presumably White Stars have Agility.)

I'd give the Omega more restricted arcs: I would say they have 90 degrees forward, especially for the heavy lasers. (Actually, I would say less than that in the weapon mounts, but you also need to allow for rounding errors in movement.) Point Defense chould be 360, though? I'm also wondering if restricting speed to 3 makes sense: Earthforce ships have generally been slow-moving tanks in other games, and that matches what we see on the show pretty well too.

Get It Done! is pretty good for 2 points.

Final typo check: I'm assuming you don't mean an Akira class on the Combat Hangar card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ray
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Very nice! Stat up those ships! I have a small armada of B5 Micromachines to use in STAW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Rodriguez
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Peace and ToleranceMicrobadge: Warhammer Underworlds: ShadespireMicrobadge: Warhammer 40k Kill Team fanMicrobadge: Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire - Sepulchral GuardMicrobadge: Trust me? Of *course* you can trust *me*!
As much as I love B5 (and what you have started to do), I do not think it is a good fit for ST:AW. Well, at least not if you want to represent capital ships from B5. I think porting B5 to SW:Armada will reflect better the integration of fighters and capital ship than ST:AW.

If one is looking for fighter on fighter B5 action, than ST:AW / SW:Xwing are perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
callidusx3 wrote:
As much as I love B5 (and what you have started to do), I do not think it is a good fit for ST:AW. Well, at least not if you want to represent capital ships from B5. I think porting B5 to SW:Armada will reflect better the integration of fighters and capital ship than ST:AW.
And I can think of at least five systems that would do a better job than Armada, IMHO. cool But people like the systems they like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Babylon 5 for STAW means you really have to make fighters work. If you're just using B5 ships and not Star Trek ships, then you can use the STAW fighters as a template for B5 fighters since the really ARE the battlefield monsters in B5 right? The rules above for fighter squadrons are cribbed from another contributor on this board for his fighters for the Akira. I haven't played these rules as yet, it's just for fun.

I've done a Federation vs. the Shadows in "A Call to Action" where I was adding Star Trek ships to the Babylon 5 game. That went really well. The Federation beat the tar out of the Shadows which was a challenge since Shadows are pretty powerful in ACTA. Of course since I'm a Star Trek fan, and I designed the ships, that was probably inevitable.

If you aren't assuming the Star Trek factions are stupid, the only way to explain lack of fighters as the "main weapons on the battlefield" is that they are ineffective. Either they can't do enough damage, or they're too vulnerable to ship weapons on the battlefield. SO when adding Star Trek ships to a genre that is fighter heavy you have to give their weapons good fighter defense, integral to their phasers/disruptors so that the fighters feel fragile without being ineffective. The idea is that the carriers in B5 or SW or BG might be able to do some damage to the Sovereign but they're going to lose a LOT of fighters pulling that off.

But it's all a judgement call so the outcome can be determined by the prejudices of the designer.

The above rules are more like a B5 ships ve. Star Trek factions type of implementation. So the fighters help but aren't on the level with Peregrines and Hidekis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls