Subject: The most important issue of the 2016 Election rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chemical EngineerMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: Control Systems Engineer
Would you kill baby Hitler?

Quote:
Have you ever wondered whether, if given the opportunity, Jeb Bush would go back in time to kill Adolf Hitler in his crib?

Well, wonder no more.

“Hell yeah, I would!” the former Florida governor told HuffPost. “You gotta step up, man.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
jmilum wrote:

Quote:
Have you ever wondered whether, if given the opportunity, Jeb Bush would go back in time to kill Adolf Hitler in his crib?

Well, wonder no more.

“Hell yeah, I would!” the former Florida governor told HuffPost. “You gotta step up, man.”
To really answer this question fairly, we would need to do some experiments about how time works when you have access to a time travel machine.

1] Is the future set and can't be altered? But then, how can you kill him as a baby?

2] Is it easy to change the future, like chaos theory seems to predict? Then killing him may be unnecessary. Maybe all you need to do is give him a rattle to play with in his crib.

3] Or is it harder to change history. Then you may have to befriend a young Hitler for a month or 2.

4] What if killing Hitler in his crib changes the future a lot and makes it worse. Like, what if the A-Bomb is not used in WWII, but invented in peacetime and then not used for a while? Meanwhile more and more are being built. And then a war starts and it is used in a massive way, nuclear winter sets in and all humans die, yes I said ALL?

If I knew that it was the only way to keep the history I know from happening and that things would not be worse, then I for one might be willing to kill him in his crib and try to get away with it. If I got caught I'd take my punishment like a man who knew he had done the right thing. And keep my mouth shut about why I had done it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be murder, and so law abiding person should not even contemplate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
Please investigate a resource based economy.
mbmbmbmbmb
A reflection of the sick and aberrant values our society promotes. Everyone loves the idea of time traveling in order to murder someone. No one contemplates saving Ferdinand from the seminal event that lead to the world wars. Of course, any such discussion is a waste of time due to the infeasibility of violating causality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LightRider wrote:
A reflection of the sick and aberrant values our society promotes. Everyone loves the idea of time traveling in order to murder someone. No one contemplates saving Ferdinand from the seminal event that lead to the world wars. Of course, any such discussion is a waste of time due to the infeasibility of violating causality.
Everyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LightRider wrote:
1. A case can be made that Ferdinand's murder merely released tensions that were already too far gone and thus saving Ferdinand would merely have changed the way WWI happened, not prevented it. Similarly, one can credibly argue that Hitler did not merely ride a tide of anti-semitism and German nationalism but was indeed a necessary driver for both the Holocaust and WWII. Thus, the "why kill and not save" analysis cannot fairly be boiled down to a values deficit.

2. Causality is only a limit within a monetary economic system. I encourage you to explore the benefits of a resource-based economy, where, from what I've read, good outcomes can be relied on without having to bother with any troubling analysis of cause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
Chigwell, Essex, London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:

Quote:

Well, wonder no more.

Finally a politician willing to stand up and make the hard calls. Jeb for 2016!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MARCUS GABRIEL
United States
Grosse Pointe Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Five cents, please," his front door said when he tried to open it. The toll door had an innate stubborness to it... UBIK
mbmbmbmbmb
No reason to kill an innocent baby. Just seduce his mother away from his father before he is conceived. Lesser of two evils, Jeb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
but would Jeb abort Fetus Hitler, that's the real burning question here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
MARCUSRPG wrote:
No reason to kill an innocent baby. Just seduce his mother away from his father before he is conceived. Lesser of two evils, Jeb.
since hitler was born out of wedlock does this mean hes the son of a time traveler

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MARCUS GABRIEL
United States
Grosse Pointe Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Five cents, please," his front door said when he tried to open it. The toll door had an innate stubborness to it... UBIK
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
MARCUSRPG wrote:
since hitler was born out of wedlock does this mean hes the son of a time traveler
Jeb's his dad? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
But what if the Sad Puppies wanted to nominate his novel for the Hugo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
carson soft on hitler~

Thumb up