Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alberto Natta
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Can OOS units use a SA to perform a Breakthrough Combat?
It seems yes by the rules, but I feel it somehow strange so better ask here to the Master Young.

The curiosity, last game I played I had a total different kind of gameplay from the Allies.
They ignored strategic assets, just going for ASW.
I found USA and UK blocks growing over and over, landed in mid '42 in France, to get repelled after extreme effort, and then again in '43 with 40ish full force blocks.
How is that defeatable?
Germany at that stage just lacks land units to actually defend, even if retaining his max strategic move limit.
Allies just land 4-5 units in Calais or Normandy, go for normal attack, survive it and an eventual counterattack, then they ship in like 6 more units due to their massive fleet. Then ship into as many troops as they can meanwhile the Sovs push hard forcing you to use SA against them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can OOS units use a SA to perform a Breakthrough Combat?

Yes, OOS unitsmaynot move in the breakthrough phase, but they can always fight (with half dice).

The curiosity, last game I played I had a total different kind of gameplay from the Allies.
They ignored strategic assets, just going for ASW.
I found USA and UK blocks growing over and over, landed in mid '42 in France, to get repelled after extreme effort, and then again in '43 with 40ish full force blocks.
How is that defeatable?
Germany at that stage just lacks land units to actually defend, even if retaining his max strategic move limit.
Allies just land 4-5 units in Calais or Normandy, go for normal attack, survive it and an eventual counterattack, then they ship in like 6 more units due to their massive fleet. Then ship into as many troops as they can meanwhile the Sovs push hard forcing you to use SA against them.

I've used that strategy and had it used against me about 5-10 times in total, all games resulted in Axis victories. If the Allies don't wear down the German strat-moves with a bomber campaign, it is simply too easy to strat-move 14 - 21 German blocks in response and punt the Allies back into the sea the following turn, and then afterwards the Italians are allowed into France to help bolster the beaches. Yes, you'll have to concede the front line areas in Russia (by leaving a lone rumanian or hungarian in each), but the Russians do not have enough special actions to hurt you nearly as bad as you will punish them if they use all of theirs without leaving some to respond to your counterattack the next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It the few games I've played, this seems to be the way it goes too. But for me as the Germans, I just don't see how I'm supposed to buy back all those SA's each turn and still have money left to replace my losses. A couple turns of this and I am lost well before my time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.