Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
As has been somewhat documented here already, the Flight expansion cards do not have an identifying mark on them so that the expansion can be easily removed.

I sleeved my original Evolution cards in Mayday Premium sleeves, but they were sold out when I went to sleeve my Flight cards so they ended up in Ultra Pro sleeves which are about 2mm shorter.

No-one has noticed during games, but it means that the cards can easily be separated just by holding a group of them by their ends with a thumb and forefinger - the smaller Ultra Pro sleeves fall out of the stack. It takes about 15 seconds to remove the Flight cards.

You can of course also check for the Ultra Pro stamp on the fronts of cards, but that's more labour intensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Jones
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A (somewhat labor-intensive) solution I came up with is to cut small (< 1/4in², or 6mm²) squares out of 3M Post-It tape -- if you haven't seen the stuff before, imagine an inch-wide roll of paper that's backed with Post-It adhesive. I then stick these to the insides of the sleeves where they seem to stay put pretty well. The tape is brightly colored (thus far I've been able to get my hands on green and yellow; there is apparently blue and pink as well) and easy to spot, which makes for a decent makeshift identifier.

Dom, if/when you guys do a second printing of Flight, can you add an expansion icon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Doc_Jones wrote:

Dom, if/when you guys do a second printing of Flight, can you add an expansion icon?
This was suggested in another thread and they already said they'll look into implementing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Doc_Jones wrote:
A (somewhat labor-intensive) solution I came up with is to cut small (< 1/4in², or 6mm²) squares out of 3M Post-It tape -- if you haven't seen the stuff before, imagine an inch-wide roll of paper that's backed with Post-It adhesive. I then stick these to the insides of the sleeves where they seem to stay put pretty well. The tape is brightly colored (thus far I've been able to get my hands on green and yellow; there is apparently blue and pink as well) and easy to spot, which makes for a decent makeshift identifier.

We're launching our next game tonight at midnight. Once that's settled down a bit, my next project is to make a few slight modifications to Flight and that's one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Webb
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:

We're launching our next game tonight at midnight. Once that's settled down a bit, my next project is to make a few slight modifications to Flight and that's one of them.
Dom, should we be watching for the Climate expansion on KS in the next day or so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The Wits & Wagers: Epic Geek Edition edition will launch on Kickstarter tonight. Here is a geeklist contest about it if you're interested:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/195213/100-prize-epically...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Webb
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondered, it seemed a little early for Climate to hit KS. I'll keep an eye out for it though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option is to get another deck then you will have one dedicated to Flight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Surreptitious Fabric
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

What sort of changes do you expect to make to Flight? I was thinking of picking it up tomorrow but if the changes are going to be significant (like between the 1st and 2nd edition), I would rather wait.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- We're adding a "Flight expansion" symbol to all of the cards.

- We're changing the color scheme of the Flight card. One side will be Green/Tan and the other will be Red/Tan. The Carnivore text will be on the Red/Tan side and the Non-Carnivore text will be on the Green/Tan side.

- We might make some changes in the text of the rules for clarity sake. Still thinking about this and looking over the areas of confusion that have been expressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But I should add that a little part of my soul dies every time someone says that the the 2nd edition fixes things that were broken in the 1st edition (not that you were saying that).

zombie zombie zombie

This is absolutely NOT the case. The 1st edition was not broken. It was tested over 2,000 times collectively by over 100 different people. I played the game over 300 times alone. It was very well tested and very well balanced. When playing with experienced players, the differences barely come into effect (in other words, we don't notice the difference when playing in the office). The biggest difference is when no one at the table has figured out the connection between playing lots of food into the Watering Hole and giving points to their opponents. In that case, the lower food amounts on 2nd edition cards forces the new players to play more "strategically". Without this fix, a game with 4 new players (and where none of the new players makes that connection) can lack tension. But having just 1 player at the table who understands the connection is enough to make the game work perfectly.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Yes, I made the rookie mistake of playing in most of the games that were played outside of the office! Not all of them, but enough that I over-looked this tendency.

That's the main difference between the two editions. So please don't let people continue to kill small pieces of my soul by insinuating that we did not test the first edition of Evolution. That is very far from the truth. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
- We're adding a "Flight expansion" symbol to all of the cards.

- We're changing the color scheme of the Flight card. One side will be Green/Tan and the other will be Red/Tan. The Carnivore text will be on the Red/Tan side and the Non-Carnivore text will be on the Green/Tan side.

- We might make some changes in the text of the rules for clarity sake. Still thinking about this and looking over the areas of confusion that have been expressed.
I must've missed the news that an "update" (not a fix ) was in the works. Is there a timeline for release?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's being worked on now for the next print run.

We're sold out of Flight at the moment, so this is an ASAP project. But I can't tell you when this next print run will be available in stores. That all depends on how quickly the particular store is selling through their original copies of the game.

My estimate is that we'll have the updated print run in our warehouse by April 1st (not a joke) and it should be in stores about a month afterwards (depending on the store).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Will play almost everything. Unless i hate it ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm never taking the cards of flight out of the deck We like the new cards and events that come with the flight expansion and KS Content. And it doesn't over complicate the game that much. Only thing now is that the deck is huge with everything mixed toghter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dom!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Jones
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
It's being worked on now for the next print run.

We're sold out of Flight at the moment, so this is an ASAP project. But I can't tell you when this next print run will be available in stores. That all depends on how quickly the particular store is selling through their original copies of the game.

My estimate is that we'll have the updated print run in our warehouse by April 1st (not a joke) and it should be in stores about a month afterwards (depending on the store).
Maybe it's too early to tell, but might you guys be selling updated trait cards (like you're doing for the base game) so people who backed your KS or otherwise got the 1st ed flight can get the updated, easier-to-differentiate cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We weren't planning to. It's hard to imagine that people would pay much for the exact same cards with a feather symbol in the corner of each illustration. Am I wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Jones
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
We weren't planning to. It's hard to imagine that people would pay much for the exact same cards with a feather symbol in the corner of each illustration. Am I wrong?
Well of course it'd depend on how much you charged for the cards. You're charging $7 for the 2nd edition trait card deck, if you were to charge $7-10 for the updated flight deck I'd be perfectly happy to pay for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to make sure you realize the text is not updated on any of the cards. It's just that we're putting a feather symbol on each card.

If others would be willing to pay for that, let me know. We'll consider it if it looks like there is enough interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Jones
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. For OCD folks like me, having a little symbol that makes sorting easier and less error-prone is good to have!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would also pay for a replacement pack that adds the feather icons. It's not a HUGE deal but it would make things easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave green
msg tools
This may be a stupid question, for which I apologize, but why would you remove the flight cards? I have just bought the base game (as in, its still on the boat!) and am eyeing the expansion. But if there is a lot of swapping stuff in and out of a deck I will wait for the next version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of games like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
C0mm4nd3rK33n wrote:
This may be a stupid question, for which I apologize, but why would you remove the flight cards? I have just bought the base game (as in, its still on the boat!) and am eyeing the expansion. But if there is a lot of swapping stuff in and out of a deck I will wait for the next version.
You only need to if you're switching between playing with and without the expansion. If you don't mind leaving the expansion mixed in for repeated use, you don't have to separate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Jones
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For future expansions (e.g. Climate), it's intended that you only play with one expansion at a time -- so you'd want to remove Flight if you're going to play with Climate.

Also, if you're introducing new people to the game, it may be better to do so without the expansion, as there are fewer mechanics to try to learn, and then you can re-add flight at a later point once they've got the hang of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave green
msg tools
Ah, right. Thanks folks! Looking forward to the climate expansion then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |