Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
41 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: K-9 NPS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J street
msg tools
I've mentioned it in a few of my posts before that my oldest son began nagging me about a year ago to add dogs to the NPS choices so he could use some of the mini's that we have. I held off to see if anything showed up in the expansions but when nothing did I finally had to sit down and do it. Anyway, we now have 2 dogs, 1 new piece of gear and he almost never builds a team without including one.
Also, I'm terrible at actually designing cards, with neither the software to make it pretty or the printer to make it worthwhile. If someone does want to make a card for any of these feel free.

Duke (K-9)
Cost 5
Movement 3
Cover 3
Unarmed 9
Health 3 2 1
Actions 2 1 1

Any hostiles with the label “Place on the location of the foremost soldier” are instead placed on the card of the location for which they were drawn. This effect is limited to locations at range 0-1 from this NPS.

Events cost 1 fewer XP to cancel. This effect is limited to locations at range 0-1 from this NPS.

Croc (K-9)
Cost 4
Movement 3
Cover 3
Unarmed 9
Health 3 2 1
Actions 2 1 1

Any hostiles with the label “Place on the location of the foremost soldier” are instead placed on the card of the location for which they were drawn. This effect is limited to locations at range 0-1 from this NPS.



The idea is that the dog's better senses can help avoid ambushes or other surprises. I don't play the night missions but I suppose they would have an equivalent to one of the night sights.
We also allow you to add body armor to the dog, modeled after the K9 Storm. I haven't added much in the way of additional features since this was just for us to play around with but there are probably ways to integrate the cameras or other features (a specialized rail system maybe?)

K-9 Body Armor
Cost: 2

Roll when suffering a wound.
1-4 no change
5-10 suffer 1 less wound/suppression

You may discard this card in place of rolling.

How well do they work? Honestly, not bad. They are relatively cheap. Their unarmed attacks are an automatic suppress and they move well. Overall, they add a neat bit of diversity to the team.
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jwstreet wrote:
I've mentioned it in a few of my posts before that my oldest son began nagging me about a year ago to add dogs to the NPS choices so he could use some of the mini's that we have. I held off to see if anything showed up in the expansions but when nothing did I finally had to sit down and do it. Anyway, we now have 2 dogs, 1 new piece of gear and he almost never builds a team without including one.
Also, I'm terrible at actually designing cards, with neither the software to make it pretty or the printer to make it worthwhile. If someone does want to make a card for any of these feel free.

Duke (K-9)
Cost 5
Movement 3
Cover 3
Unarmed 9
Health 3 2 1
Actions 2 1 1

Any hostiles with the label “Place on the location of the foremost soldier” are instead placed on the card of the location for which they were drawn. This effect is limited to locations at range 0-1 from this NPS.

Events cost 1 fewer XP to cancel. This effect is limited to locations at range 0-1 from this NPS.

Croc (K-9)
Cost 4
Movement 3
Cover 3
Unarmed 9
Health 3 2 1
Actions 2 1 1

Any hostiles with the label “Place on the location of the foremost soldier” are instead placed on the card of the location for which they were drawn. This effect is limited to locations at range 0-1 from this NPS.



The idea is that the dog's better senses can help avoid ambushes or other surprises. I don't play the night missions but I suppose they would have an equivalent to one of the night sights.
We also allow you to add body armor to the dog, modeled after the K9 Storm. I haven't added much in the way of additional features since this was just for us to play around with but there are probably ways to integrate the cameras or other features (a specialized rail system maybe?)

K-9 Body Armor
Cost: 2

Roll when suffering a wound.
1-4 no change
5-10 suffer 1 less wound/suppression

You may discard this card in place of rolling.

How well do they work? Honestly, not bad. They are relatively cheap. Their unarmed attacks are an automatic suppress and they move well. Overall, they add a neat bit of diversity to the team.


Interesting concept, for sure.

I honestly don't know - do any Specials Forces use K-9 type dogs as part of the unit(s), or are they attached from the Regular army?

I can probably spare some time to do these pups up. Do you want them to be US NPSs? Also, do you have some pics that you'd like me to use (perhaps your own dogs?), or should I just use my best judgement?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Narvaez
msg tools
This sounds like a cool idea to try. Chris, I can help out if needed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J street
msg tools
Wow! Thanks! I was just putting the idea up to see if anybody found it worthwhile in their own games. Actual cards would be extremely cool! Through our play-testing at home we usually just use a 3X5 index card.
Regarding the questions above:
I believe that the SEALs and marines have their own K9 units but I don't know how they are arranged through the Army. The Australians and the SAS are also reported to use them (there was a news story a while back about one SAS dog that was supposedly captured. It also mentioned that others were KIA).

I don't really know about the rules regarding image use. I grew up on a farm and always had a dog but my current landlord has a strict "no pets" policy so I can't help you there.

We treat them here as a "sort of" NPS. They don't get a hand of cards but can get equipment (hence the body armor). We have only played as the US at our table but I guess they could be for any nation.

Mostly they are used to push back threats and avoid the cost of events. I can't recall either dog ever getting a kill but the suppress is always handy.

Thanks for the positive responses! I was hoping that someone would find this interesting.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


How do these look to you?

I couldn't fit the text of those special abilities in on the card, so the keywords Canine Senses and Vigilant were added instead:

"Canine Senses"
Any hostiles with the label “Place on the location of the front-most/rear-most soldier” are instead placed on the card of the location for which they were drawn. This effect is limited to locations at range 0-1 from this NPS.

"Vigilant"
Events cost 1 fewer XP to cancel. This effect is limited to locations at range 0-1 from this NPS.

[edit] Forgot the RP cost for Croc. I will add it.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Narvaez
msg tools
Ask and you shall receive. You got to the dogs before I could, LOL. Nice work on the pups.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking on this this morning, did you want to give the dogs better unarmed values? They're currently only as good as humans at taking down an opponent in unarmed combat. Maybe 8 each and another dog with 7?

I was thinking of adding another dog, Lex, in tribute to this dog:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lex_%28dog%29

Lex (K-9)
Cost 5
Movement 3
Cover 3
Unarmed 8
Health 3 2 1
Actions 2 1 1

Add to this dog the trait "Fiercely Protective"

"Fiercely Protective"
If a soldier in this location takes a wound which would "Down" the soldier, ignore the wound and "Down" this K-9 instead.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also they could probably have a Defeat Cover roll 6 by default (or a Penetration value), since they fight in melee.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladimir17 wrote:
Also they could probably have a Defeat Cover roll 6 by default (or a Penetration value), since they fight in melee.


Hmmm... good point. I just remembered that melee attacks are automatically stealth attacks and have defeat cover 6 rolls by default for the first attack in the turn.

Maybe the Unarmed values should stay where they are.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J street
msg tools
Wow. Just...wow. I got home from work, put the kids to bed and checked in to find those cards. Thank a lot, they look incredible.

Actually, I kept the kill numbers high on purpose after a bit of research. According to what I found dogs aren't intended to go for the kill very often. A lot of times in direct contact (one interview even mentioned a use in breaching situations) they were said to be used to harass and distract the hostiles to buy human soldiers time to get their shots. I figured that sounded like a suppression effect and since their melee would be an automatic 6 for penetration that this fit the bill.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jwstreet wrote:
Actually, I kept the kill numbers high on purpose after a bit of research. According to what I found dogs aren't intended to go for the kill very often. A lot of times in direct contact (one interview even mentioned a use in breaching situations) they were said to be used to harass and distract the hostiles to buy human soldiers time to get their shots. I figured that sounded like a suppression effect and since their melee would be an automatic 6 for penetration that this fit the bill.


Point taken.

Here's the new dog, and Croc fixed.

5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll do up the body armour and put these three dogs and the armour into a PDF. Did you have any ideas about other dogs, a handler-type soldier, or other gear?

I'll credit you as the designer of the cards in the PDF.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J street
msg tools
I do have a few more ideas I'm playing around with. Tell me what you think:

Cameras (regular, low light and IR) can be mounted on the vests of the dog and used remotely. Useful for scouting, I was thinking that this could be used to add a +1 movement effect to all troops. I know, it's basically the same as a MICH but it's thematic and when I play a game I'm all about staying within a theme. Cost 2

While dogs are mostly used for suppression 600lbs of bite force on your wrist will take you out of the fight. Some dogs do get more "fight" training - not just bite and hold on but bite and then bite again. Could fight training be added like a skill with effects equivalent to a Ka-Bar?

A dog handler PS strikes me as a specialist skill, probably with a reduced cost for the dog and possibly related equipment.
Collins (random name)
Cover 2
Move 0
Loadout 10
Unarmed 10
Health 5
Cost 8
Dog Handler = All K9 units and equipment purchases reduced in cost by 1

An NPS would be similar:
Cover 3
Move 2
Unarmed 10
Cost 10
M4 with ACOG, M9
Dog Handler = All K9 units and equipment purchases reduced in cost by 1
Health 3 2 1
Actions 2 2 1

An additional dog and effect:
Loki (K-9)
Cost 5
Movement 3
Cover 3
Unarmed 9
Health 3 2 1
Actions 2 1 1
Canine Senses
Focused: may ignore screening effects while attacking
I have struggled with finding a name for this dog; in researching I have seen many of the tributes for retired or deceased dogs and considered using their names but thought it might be disrespectful. I saw one named Thor on a memorial wall and decided to go with a relative.

One final thought, what about enemy K9 patrols for Jungle or Eastern Europe? A 2 reticle card with this special effect:
Detection: No range 0 stealth attacks may be carried out in the location where this card is active
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J street
msg tools
Or maybe the camera could allow a +1 hand size to one soldier for the mission. If the dog is scouting ahead and feeding back intel through the camera then this would open up more options, hence the +1 hand size.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Au war dogs site
http://www.aussiewardogs.org/
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jwstreet wrote:
I do have a few more ideas I'm playing around with. Tell me what you think:

Cameras (regular, low light and IR) can be mounted on the vests of the dog and used remotely. Useful for scouting, I was thinking that this could be used to add a +1 movement effect to all troops. I know, it's basically the same as a MICH but it's thematic and when I play a game I'm all about staying within a theme. Cost 2


Found some pics and will use your concept as the basis for the equipment.

Quote:
While dogs are mostly used for suppression 600lbs of bite force on your wrist will take you out of the fight. Some dogs do get more "fight" training - not just bite and hold on but bite and then bite again. Could fight training be added like a skill with effects equivalent to a Ka-Bar?


Attack Training

K-9 NPS Only. +1 to Unarmed attacks by this dog.

(+2 might be too powerful)


Quote:
A dog handler PS strikes me as a specialist skill, probably with a reduced cost for the dog and possibly related equipment.
Collins (random name)
Cover 2
Move 0
Loadout 10
Unarmed 10
Health 5
Cost 8
Dog Handler = All K9 units and equipment purchases reduced in cost by 1

An NPS would be similar:
Cover 3
Move 2
Unarmed 10
Cost 10
M4 with ACOG, M9
Dog Handler = All K9 units and equipment purchases reduced in cost by 1
Health 3 2 1
Actions 2 2 1

An additional dog and effect:
Loki (K-9)
Cost 5
Movement 3
Cover 3
Unarmed 9
Health 3 2 1
Actions 2 1 1
Canine Senses
Focused: may ignore screening effects while attacking
I have struggled with finding a name for this dog; in researching I have seen many of the tributes for retired or deceased dogs and considered using their names but thought it might be disrespectful. I saw one named Thor on a memorial wall and decided to go with a relative.


I'll see if I can add Loki. The Handler squad/NPS may have to come later.

Quote:
One final thought, what about enemy K9 patrols for Jungle or Eastern Europe? A 2 reticle card with this special effect:
Detection: No range 0 stealth attacks may be carried out in the location where this card is active


Very cool idea. I think I'll have to leave that to a later date for now.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J street
msg tools
Thanks for the comments and the work. It looks like you have been very busy lately. Thanks for taking some time to work with my ideas in addition to your own.

Oh, and to David in Sydney (now in Coffs) thanks for the link to the Aussie site. The profiles were incredible.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this for the camera suite you mentioned:

K-9 Remote Camera


RP Cost: 2

When a K-9 equipped with this camera is the first to enter a location, permanently reduce the entry cost of the location by one. Only K-9 NPSs may equip. Limit 1 per K-9
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J street
msg tools
Sounds good. A nice way to get the idea of easier entry across.
1 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Here's tonight's work. (Human) Player Soldier and NPS to follow.
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J street
msg tools
They look really nice. My son and I are looking at trying some of these out this weekend to see how they play, maybe along with some of the Australian equipment (the Aussie dogs site got me thinking...).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jwstreet wrote:
They look really nice. My son and I are looking at trying some of these out this weekend to see how they play, maybe along with some of the Australian equipment (the Aussie dogs site got me thinking...).


Well, I better finish the NPS and player soldier, then! Coming up!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J street
msg tools
Woah! No pressure man, what you've already done is great! We'll use whatever is up.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jwstreet wrote:
Woah! No pressure man, what you've already done is great! We'll use whatever is up.


It's my pleasure. Anything I can do to help a fellow father and son Warfighter duo is a delight.

Coincidentally, I was planning to work on it tonight anyway, so it's a good incentive.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, here we are:



Test it out, let me know what you think.

I modified a few values on the handlers from the ones you originally posted. Nothing major.

If you test and everything seems to work well, I'll do it up as a PDF and post it to the files section.

You mentioned you didn't have the right printer - just take the image to a Kinko's or similar copy shop and ask them to print it onto medium cardstock (120+ gsm/65-80 lbs cover) - cover paper.
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.