Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Thomas
United States
RIVERSIDE
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming a good teacher, I'll almost always enjoy a game where somebody knows it well enough to just explain it and off we go - no rules references, no refresher for the person who "knows" the game. Somebody who can efficiently make sure a game is played appropriately is huge.

How many games can you do this with? I'd estimate there are 25-30 non-trivial games I could set up and teach without referencing the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably only 5-6ish, but it goes up to about 30 or so if you include referencing the rules for setup (I have the worst memory for starting hand sizes and stuff like that)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chicago Bears fanMicrobadge: Go Bears!Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Chicago Bears fan - Walter PaytonMicrobadge: On a crusade to spread Eurogames
Just counting from my current collection, about 70.

Much more if you let me peek at how many cards/how much money each person starts with. Some games I've played a hundred times and still can't remember that little bit of info shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
RIVERSIDE
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd let you both look up small details like number of $ to start with, etc. The key concept is being able to teach a game without spending much time "re-learning" the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
Microbadge: ShamanismMicrobadge: I drop the F-bombMicrobadge: Mark of the DamnedMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: Neon Genesis Evangelion fan
I have ~40 or 50 games…

There are 7 or 8 I know like the back of my hand, and could teach them practically blindfolded.
There are another 5-10 I'd need to brush up on setup, and maybe reference the rules for the fringe events…

Then, there are the rest, and I've played them, but between setup and some of the turn order/resolution, I'd say I know them like a distant relative… Say, what's the dog's name again? Oh yeah, how's he? Oh he had puppies.
So, it's a girl…. shake
(I'd need a cheater/aid, as my last play has been too long ago.)

If I put some effort into it and played more games, more regularly, I could probably bump the "back of hand" up to 20-25.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
stlkt wrote:
I'd let you both look up small details like number of $ to start with, etc. The key concept is being able to teach a game without spending much time "re-learning" the game.
Given that, somewhere between 250 and 300.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I never go anywhere without a Lonely Planet travel guide!Microbadge: RationalistMicrobadge: National Public Radio listenerMicrobadge: Square dancerMicrobadge: I drive an RV
109 out of my 179 owned games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
My entire collection and about 20 more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chicago Bears fanMicrobadge: Go Bears!Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Chicago Bears fan - Walter PaytonMicrobadge: On a crusade to spread Eurogames
stlkt wrote:
In that case, I count at least 160

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can teach lots of games without needing to go through the rules to relearn anything, but I like to go through the rules as I teach, so I can present the information in the same way. Like, if I open the rules and it first explains the actions you can take, then how combat works, then the event cards; then I'm going to explain things in the same order. I don't need to relearn how those work, but it's just easier for me if I can see the header of the section, then be like "Alright, gotta explain that, now."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Greig
Australia
Kelso
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'd guess around 200-300 definitely any game currently in my collection. But I've often done demo/teaching at game conventions as a volunteer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably around the 200 mark if not more. I retain rules incredibly well to the point that my friends when feeling unkind call me rain man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhere between 30 & 40 I think (not counting expansions and re-implementations), maybe a few more. I think I could teach almost any game I've played more than 10 times without checking the rules (except for set-up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
flag msg tools
Without investing serious effort into a learning of the rules, I think I need like 5 games to teach a game with looking up setup rules and 10 games without. The former would amount to 11 games. However, the latter would be only 7 games currently, out of which are 5 fillers and the other two take less than an hour.

The cult of the new takes its tribute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
120 ... with about 20 to 30 of those being pretty simple kids games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Play some games at least
badge
Support BGG
Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: 15 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 2020 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Parent of a transgender child
stlkt wrote:
Given that, then probably around 250-300 or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
stlkt wrote:
Where do brief memory lapses fit in? Are quick rules speedreads/scans (<30 seconds, << 1 minute) allowed also?

With me, most rules are on 'standby' in my memory, to use a computer term. It takes a short while to get them up to speed, but after that it's smooth sailing all the way: it's not that I need to meticulously re-read every paragraph again, look up rules discussions, etcetera. It's more that my opponents need the verbose treatment again meeple (although they sometimes surprise me by remembering more than me).

If the above is allowed then it's anywhere between 250 and 500. I don't really know the upper bound because I also remember a lot of games which are not in my possession, and many owners of games defer to me for the explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Paquin
Canada
Val d'Or
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About 10-12 games that I know really well (will perhaps just need to check for the starting setup).
Another 10-20 that I need to always check some details just to be sure that we played it well.
And the rest of my collection, about 25 games, I will need to read the rules again before I play, and even then I will probably keep to rulebook close when we play.

To not play that much doesn't help me remember all the rules, but it seems the more game I have, the more I'm able to remember for a longer time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls