Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Advanced Squad Leader» Forums » Rules

Subject: RS scenario ASL67; which Overlay rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It says overlay 2 is used, but it does not say which prefix letter(s). I can tell it's not Be2, but why doesn't it say and which is it?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tisdel
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
The Man with the Pointy Hat
Avatar
Microbadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: HERO System fanMicrobadge: Warhammer 40,000 fan - Emperor's Children - Children of the Emperor! Death to his foes!Microbadge: Civilization fanMicrobadge: Information Technologist
ASL Overlay 2 was included in Code of Bushido per this list.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought CoB's material is in RS.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Ma Hongkui
Avatar
Microbadge: Avalon Hill fanMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: I'm a Black Orchestra fan!Microbadge: COIN fanMicrobadge: Sierra Madre Games fan
The Old Man wrote:
I thought CoB's material is in RS.
It is. RS includes overlays 1 through 5: http://www.multimanpublishing.com/tabid/58/CategoryID/6/Prod...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Duh. I wasn't seeing 1-5. I thought they all had prefixes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I see my problem. The overlay is one of the large ones. The SSR says, "Place overlay 2 on T2-T1." This is only two hexes. I don't understand how you know how this goes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Old Man wrote:
... This is only two hexes. I don't understand how you know how this goes.
Each overlay (apart from single hex overlays) has a hex numbered "1" and an adjacent hex numbered "2".

To place an overlay of any size on, for example "20T2-20T1", you line up the overlay hex numbered "1" so it sits on 20T2 and the overlay hex numbered "2" so its sits on 20T1.

That gives you both the placement and the orientation of the overlay, regardless of size.

Placing the same overlay on "20T1-20T2" would give a reversed orientation of the overlay (which would make little difference to a two hex overlay but would make a significant difference to a large overlay).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Each overlay (apart from single hex overlays) has a hex numbered "1" and an adjacent hex numbered "2".
IIRC, some of the larger ones do not have these "1" and "2" hexes, since they have proper hex coordinates instead.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brock
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klasmalmstrom wrote:
Quote:
Each overlay (apart from single hex overlays) has a hex numbered "1" and an adjacent hex numbered "2".
IIRC, some of the larger ones do not have these "1" and "2" hexes, since they have proper hex coordinates instead.
Right. For those new to the PTO, the large ones with proper hex coordinates were designed to be used in specific places on specific boards; the large ones with only "1" and "2" were designed to be geomorphic with regard to a certain set of hex rows on each half-board of boards 34 through 38. How the latter works is shown by how they are used in various scenarios included in Rising Sun.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Errata for my post: add a new line at the end as follows:

"EXC: Overlays with proper hex co-ordinates (EX: some of the larger overlays in RS)".


jwb3 wrote:
klasmalmstrom wrote:
Quote:
Each overlay (apart from single hex overlays) has a hex numbered "1" and an adjacent hex numbered "2".
IIRC, some of the larger ones do not have these "1" and "2" hexes, since they have proper hex coordinates instead.
Right. For those new to the PTO, the large ones with proper hex coordinates were designed to be used in specific places on specific boards; the large ones with only "1" and "2" were designed to be geomorphic with regard to a certain set of hex rows on each half-board of boards 34 through 38. How the latter works is shown by how they are used in various scenarios included in Rising Sun.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, didn't see those numbers. Now I have one general question: Why do the cutting instructions have you not cut to the hexside, but leave a small amount for overlap on almost all overlays?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Old Man wrote:
Ah, didn't see those numbers. Now I have one general question: Why do the cutting instructions have you not cut to the hexside, but leave a small amount for overlap on almost all overlays?
Probably to ensure an entire hexside of open ground, and to fully cover any walls or hedges on that hexside.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls