War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: White Rider and Heroic Death rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bog Zal
Portugal
flag msg tools
A question about Gandalf the White:

Does "White Rider" ability cease to work when GtW dies with "Heroic Death"?

Or does it still work for the reminder of the battle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think so, as his leadership is already forfeited and the effect last the entire battle.

Not sure though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Sandston
VA
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
Microbadge: 2010 Golden Geek WinnerMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Playtester / Prototype fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Firefly fan
It ceases to work. When using White Rider, you are forfeiting Gandalf's Leadership for the duration of the battle in exchange for negating Nazgul Leadership. If Gandalf dies, that Leadership becomes unavailable to forfeit, and the White Rider effect is no longer available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jujo Vee
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
It ceases to work. When using White Rider, you are forfeiting Gandalf's Leadership for the duration of the battle in exchange for negating Nazgul Leadership. If Gandalf dies, that Leadership becomes unavailable to forfeit, and the White Rider effect is no longer available.
But Gandalf the White's card says "at the start of the battle". I think that implies that forfeiting is one time thing, not an ongoing effect. But then again, it makes more sense thematically to lose Gandalf's ability if he dies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Sandston
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2010 Golden Geek WinnerMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Playtester / Prototype fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Firefly fan
Leadership is an ongoing effect, which you are forfeiting continually for the duration of the battle. "At the start of the battle" refers to the timing of the decision to use White Rider, as in you may not decide to turn it on and off during the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you saying that the decision made to use or not use the White Rider ability before the first round of combat lasts through all subsequent rounds of that same combat? I don't think I've been playing it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Sandston
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls