Subject: How well does this play PBEM via Vassal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Amenta

Idaho Falls
Idaho
msg tools
mb
Curious if anyone has played this or another Grand Tactical game via Vassal but not live i.e. simply exchanging vassal log files over time? Is it doable?

I can see how you could simply agree to roll for Opportunity Fire for your opponent whenever it is possible (defending units have nothing to lose).

The real hangup though, it seems to me would be Suppression combat results, which requires a decision to be made by defender to either go for cohesion or spend a command point etc. This seems like it would make a PBEM vassal log game perhaps to tedious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I had a plan...
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
Microbadge: To infinity ... and beyond!Microbadge: EastFront fanMicrobadge: Calvin and Hobbes fanMicrobadge: I tipped into the Geekgold infinite loopMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.
I'm trying that now. I don't know if the rules have changed, but in the earlier ones you can choose to spend a CP to pass a TQC. So you need to stop and ask the opponent. That's the big part. Someone will almost always choose to try to convert a suppression into a cohesion, but it's when to choose to spend a CP to automatically pass checks that is the big question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never tried it but it seems like it would be tedious for the reasons you mentioned. I could see house ruling it to make it playable though. Perhaps simply results are as rolled; no converting S to CH. Or all Ses are converted CH unless it causes a step loss.

Something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Gamer
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Pick a game in my "Want to Play" category, and let's play! There's so many to choose from...
badge
Pick a game in my "Want to Play" category, and let's play! There's so many to choose from...
mb
I'd only add that after a while of trying this the game seemed simply solitaire and pointless as a two player event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Curtis
United States
Christiana
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The multi-player via skype with Vassal is really the way to go. Get a group of competent players (not necessarily knowing the rules, but good players in skill and sportmanship) and have fun with it. It is a game to be experienced, not to win every little battle.

You just have to make sure the opening players know the importance of achieving certain objectives by certain times or the game rapidly becomes not playable. They need to be ready to do things as they need to be to make the experience enjoyable for the group in the long run. Otherwise, everyone is just wasting their time.

This has been shown as important in the earlier TDC/WED games (Getting 1 AB into Arnham and breaking XXX Corp out come to mind), and clearing the beaches in TGD in a timely manner is just as important. Practice, practice, practice these critical phases before you play in a group.

Once you have those out of the way, then the experience of the game is open to everyone else having a great time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Amenta

Idaho Falls
Idaho
msg tools
mb
tsnouffer wrote:
Never tried it but it seems like it would be tedious for the reasons you mentioned. I could see house ruling it to make it playable though. Perhaps simply results are as rolled; no converting S to CH. Or all Ses are converted CH unless it causes a step loss.

Something like that.
The house rule sounds appealing. For example, you could roll automatically for every S to CH and not allow command points to be spent to pass automatically.

I guess the big question is how much would this upset game balance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Amenta

Idaho Falls
Idaho
msg tools
mb
sfu_fear wrote:
The multi-player via skype with Vassal is really the way to go. Get a group of competent players (not necessarily knowing the rules, but good players in skill and sportmanship) and have fun with it. It is a game to be experienced, not to win every little battle.

You just have to make sure the opening players know the importance of achieving certain objectives by certain times or the game rapidly becomes not playable. They need to be ready to do things as they need to be to make the experience enjoyable for the group in the long run. Otherwise, everyone is just wasting their time.

This has been shown as important in the earlier TDC/WED games (Getting 1 AB into Arnham and breaking XXX Corp out come to mind), and clearing the beaches in TGD in a timely manner is just as important. Practice, practice, practice these critical phases before you play in a group.

Once you have those out of the way, then the experience of the game is open to everyone else having a great time.
It's easy to visualize live-action play via Vassal/Skype and probably is a good option, if you can manage it. What I was wondering though about was whether one could just exchange Vassal log files over time i.e. not play live but a more traditional email kind of game.

The problem is of course the several interactions with Opportunity Fire and the choice a defender has to attempt to turn Suppression into a Cohesion result.

Opportunity Fire is easy to take care of if you assume Defender will Op Fire whenever he can (which is not unreasonable). So what is left is the defender's decision of cbt results with Suppression. Now perhaps some kind of automatic play house rule could be agreed upon that would also be reasonable? And not impact game balance too much?

Maybe simply excluding the defender choice to change Suppression to Cohesion??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Curtis
United States
Christiana
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DanteEdmundo wrote:
sfu_fear wrote:

It's easy to visualize live-action play via Vassal/Skype and probably is a good option, if you can manage it. What I was wondering though about was whether one could just exchange Vassal log files over time i.e. not play live but a more traditional email kind of game.

The problem is of course the several interactions with Opportunity Fire and the choice a defender has to attempt to turn Suppression into a Cohesion result.

Opportunity Fire is easy to take care of if you assume Defender will Op Fire whenever he can (which is not unreasonable). So what is left is the defender's decision of cbt results with Suppression. Now perhaps some kind of automatic play house rule could be agreed upon that would also be reasonable? And not impact game balance too much?

Maybe simply excluding the defender choice to change Suppression to Cohesion??

I can see how that could be an issue. What we are thinking of with running the campaign game is to run chits sequentially with just the players involved having to be online at the same time. Others can join in to watch, but doing one chit, then saving and letting the next chit know when they are up will be the name of the game to keep the game going without others having to just sit around and watch, unless they want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Amenta

Idaho Falls
Idaho
msg tools
mb
tsnouffer wrote:

Something like that.
I'm still wondering how viable this would be. I'm going to try it solitaire first. Obviously, it would reduce flexibility in defense. The question is by how much - how much of an impact would it have on the game?

For example, how often is a command point spent to guarantee a unit goes from S to CH? If not so frequent - it would seem the impact on game play would not be too much (tbh).

The next question is then: how often would a player not roll to convert from S to CH? Again it seems like - not too often. It would seem the roll will usually be made than not. No?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls