Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was asked the following question on Consimworld:

Quote:
Looking at the scenario book I see that there are no fewer than 11(!) tutorial scenarios. Red Winter just had 1, which was entirely skippable in favor of "The First Day".

Is the game really so complex as to require all of this prep to be ready to play an actual scenario?

The short answer is "no." The tutorials probably won't be necessary for experienced wargames. The game is a bit more complex than Red Winter, but most of the tutorials introduce rules incrementally, and ~60% of these rules will already be familiar to most wargamers and/or players of Red Winter.

Here is my full response, copied and pasted from CSW:

Quote:
No. If you've played Red Winter or other wargames, you can probably get away with skipping all of the tutorials in favor of jumping right into one of the shorter "real" scenarios like Blind Man's Bluff, The Simmering Cauldron, or Queen and King.

The tutorials are there mainly for folks who are new to wargames and/or those who are having trouble with a particular aspect of Op Dauntless. They are also there to give gamers practice with a particular sub-system. For example, if the ARC (Armor Reaction Cycle) is hard for you to wrap your head around, there are a handful of small, armor-only tutorials that should make it apparent when and how it is used. If the new Tactical Advantage procedure (chit draw for order and number of allowed AT Fire attacks in an Assault) is cause for concern, there is a specific tutorial ("PIAT and Panzerfaust") that basically forces you to use this procedure ~10 times over two game turns, with accompanying notes.

Some of the tutorials exist mainly to demonstrate useful tactics. For example, the final tutorial focuses on deployment of the British 17-pounder AT guns to form an "anti-tank line" in the British rear areas, to prevent a German armored breakthrough. It also showcases the Achilles self-propelled 17-pdrs which are far more mobile and can be used to plug gaps in the AT line.

If you have questions or concerns, feel free to ask.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just impressed they finally added "cut and paste" to the forums on Consimworld. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Brunton
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mark,

I think having more tutorials to allow players not just to practice elements of the game system, but also to help teach useful tactics, is a fantastic idea and I applaud your efforts.

In fact the entire game, as evidenced by the playbook and other elements, shows a real focus on aiding the player by limiting the impact of the rules overhead that is an inherent barrier to playing any game system. I can't possibly se a downside to your approach, which I think ends up resulting in a lot more enjoyment for players.

Thanks,

Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Foster
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tutorials are actually the reason I bought the game. Well, not THE reason, but I find the learning curve of most wargames quite steep. I have quite a few now, and I've only gotten to play ha couple of them. This game looks fun, the subject is interesting and the tutorials convinced me that this is a game that I'll be able to get to the table.

So for me they are crucial, and the people I'll be playing with are not wargamers at all. We've had fun with wargames in the past but you guys know how it is when you first sit down and try to get your head around wargame rules. It's like being punched in the soul by a bag full of winegums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert, hopefully the tutorials will do their job to help ease you into the game. Also, please feel free to contact me with any questions you might have. I check email daily, and I check the OpD forums (BGG + CSW) a few times per week. Email: duckweedseattle@yahoo.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Foster
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much, Mark! Please note that I will take you up on your offer if I run into problems. So prepare yourself for some potentially noob-heavy messages.

I do suspect that I will get my head around it though. It looks like an elegant system and the tutorials will be just what someone like me needs in order to lessen the learning curve, and in the process, more easily get this kind of game to the table. I'm very excited to get my copy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Clarke
United States
Rockaway Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Overmann wrote:
The tutorials are actually the reason I bought the game. Well, not THE reason, but I find the learning curve of most wargames quite steep. I have quite a few now, and I've only gotten to play ha couple of them. This game looks fun, the subject is interesting and the tutorials convinced me that this is a game that I'll be able to get to the table.

So for me they are crucial, and the people I'll be playing with are not wargamers at all. We've had fun with wargames in the past but you guys know how it is when you first sit down and try to get your head around wargame rules. It's like being punched in the soul by a bag full of winegums.

Wonderful comment, but I did have to look up winegums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.