9 Posts

Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shooting Dice Advancement Errata/Demonhunter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
No one read the book who knew anything about the game after it was in layout. You can see that they decided at some point late in time to remove the Marksman (2+) and Deft Throw (2+) skills and their associated advancements from the tables Marksman(X) and Deft Throw(X) and replace with Shooting Dice (Long) and Shooting Dice (Short) respectively.

While I think they might have done it for clarity with the base rules and maybe the Speed of a Bullet and Sure Shot(X) skills they screwed up the change since I would guess it was done in an email exchange and Jake missed a few things.

The Errors that changed caused:
1. Location Card Still Refers to them.
2. All Minions lost their range information for their Shooting dice.
3. Accidentally erased Demon hunters 2 Shooting Dice (Short) attack.
4. Rules for Experience make it clear that as written you cannot take a +1 Die advancement more than once. So characters without ranged attacks who take one can get at most 1 die which is below the attack threshold so useless. When I first read this I thought that items/spells must grant shooting dice type attacks that can use the die but it is too common for that.

When I was reviewing the campaign rules for their quickstart post I say this line:

Ranked abilities are a special
case because each numbered
rank works like a separate ability.
In this case, when a Hero gains
a new ranked ability it will be
at the lowest level listed
. Each
subsequent time he gains the
same ability the level goes up by
one until it reaches the maximum
for that particular ability.

None of the ranked skill right now have anything more than 1 listed for the minimum value but for ranged attacks you need 2 as the minimum value for the skill to make sense in the game.

With Marksman(2+) and Deft Throw(2+) as the skill definitions and them listed as MarksmanX and Deft ThrowX on the tables the only thing wrong is the missing Demon Hunter attack (which is a delete skill but forget to add symbol in error). All the tables make sense and people can actually learn a ranged attack if they do not start with one so the elf advancement table is not useless to anyone who is not the ranger/thief since it has like 6 ranged weapon based skills.

So the errata for this section should be:

Add in Abilities: Shooting Attack-Short (2-5) and Shooting Attack-Long (2-5) where they grant the model a shooting dice equal to the level and range as listed. Minimum level for these skill is 2 (hence the in the rank position label)

Demonhunter Starts with Shooting Attack Short (2)

All the advancements where the range is listed get changed to Shooting Attack Range X (little crossed swords thing to denote ranked abilities).

Outside missing range on an advancement or two (+1 dice always means combat) it is fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your keen observations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Luis GF
Spain
flag msg tools
In Cleric table there is only +1 shooting dice (short). Is it correct?
Level 5 in Daemon Hunter +1 Shooting dice (long). It may be better +1 Shooting dice (short).
Level 9 in fighter table is not clear, short or long?

PD: sorry for my bad english

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so basically the game have been playtested and checked during alpha and beta test,but not in his final form,wich seems just to have been sent to the printer without being tested again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
raistlim wrote:
In Cleric table there is only +1 shooting dice (short). Is it correct?
Level 5 in Daemon Hunter +1 Shooting dice (long). It may be better +1 Shooting dice (short).
Level 9 in fighter table is not clear, short or long?

PD: sorry for my bad english

Again this is unofficial I would say

Cleric keeps Shooting Die (Short)X at level 8 as an option. Several Races also have short dice on their lists so you can use it with the right race to get up to a 3 dice attack which is not useless if taken once on the race advancement and once on the profession advancement and you can get a magic item boost or something. I do not think it would be common as you need your advancement for spells but maybe for fun.

Demon Hunter Level 5 stays Long currently. I am just trying to make the shooting advancement rules work at so maybe you want short and long dice. Would not be surprised me if it changes.

Fighter I would guess it is Long. That gives him 3 Shooting Dice (Long)X in his table compared to 4 Shooting Dice (short)X for the thief but he also starts with 1 more die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
Belsamoreth wrote:
so basically the game have been playtested and checked during alpha and beta test,but not in his final form,wich seems just to have been sent to the printer without being tested again?

Jake has made it clear he never saw the AC after it went to layout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eriochrome wrote:

It's a big mistake.
we've just have to wait for the official FAQ then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
Belsamoreth wrote:
eriochrome wrote:

It's a big mistake.
we've just have to wait for the official FAQ then.

These are RAI up to the level of anything in the book. Eventually we should get a FAQ but these issues if he was allowed to answer would have taken 1 or 2 hours of work for him tops. Just trying to help get people on the board if they want to use the character creation.

If we are really really lucky today we get an update with a FAQ/Errata but I am not holding my breath. If they publish the full errata so soon before people who are not even paying attention get there stuff I think it will be worse for them. Given the questions we get about carton A and B stuff on the general forum people have not been reading their updates but if there is this huge 8 page errata waiting for them when they get their packets they might wonder if it could be done so quickly why was it not fixed before it was printed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
eriochrome wrote:
If we are really really lucky today we get an update with a FAQ/Errata but I am not holding my breath. If they publish the full errata so soon before people who are not even paying attention get there stuff I think it will be worse for them. Given the questions we get about carton A and B stuff on the general forum people have not been reading their updates but if there is this huge 8 page errata waiting for them when they get their packets they might wonder if it could be done so quickly why was it not fixed before it was printed.

I have been wondering this for about a week now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.