Subject: Why does each player get 18 ship counters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Toilet PaperMicrobadge: It's better to be lucky than goodMicrobadge: Hyperbole is, without question, the single greatest thing in the entire universe!Microbadge: Without Me it's just AwesoMicrobadge: Black Holes suck!
Why didn't the game just provide each player with six ship counters? Other than triggering a new card display when changing from galleys-to-sails-to-steam, what's the point of switching out my galley counters for my sailing ship counters?

I suppose it's possible to still have all six of my galleys on the board when I start placing my sailing ships, but even then there's no need for three kinds of ship counters...

Have I missed a rule somewhere? It seems to me that if you managed to have 12 ships on the board at once (let alone 18!!!), you're going to start getting spanked soundly when the obsolete ones start getting kicked off the board...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no huge reason, mostly just style I'm sure, however I've already been glad to be able to straddle the sailing and steam ship ages with 7. Maybe I shouldn't havrz, butbitbfelt right at the time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Chris said -

1) Theme
2) Limits the number of ships you can have in an era, while still allowing you to add more ships to the next era if all if yours are out.

FWIW, the one time I've played thus far, I often let my older ships get kicked off because I decided my actions were better spent doing other things rather than upgrading the old ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Toilet PaperMicrobadge: It's better to be lucky than goodMicrobadge: Hyperbole is, without question, the single greatest thing in the entire universe!Microbadge: Without Me it's just AwesoMicrobadge: Black Holes suck!
wmspringer wrote:
As Chris said -

1) Theme
2) Limits the number of ships you can have in an era, while still allowing you to add more ships to the next era if all if yours are out.
That's just it, though. The only real limit you have with those 18 ship counters is that you can't have more than six of one type on the board at a time.

But since it's impossible to have both galley and steamship counters on the board at the same time, there's no point in providing both types of counters. By the time you can put your first steamship counter out, the game will have already kicked all of your galleys off the board. So you really only need 12 ship counters of two different types, and then you'd switch back-and-forth between the two types when the shipping ages require it.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a rule that required you to have three different types of ship counters. It's actually nice to know that if I decide to pimp up my copy of the game with cool ship miniatures that I only need twelve per color rather than 18. Of course, even at that, buying 48 little ships for this game would probably be cost prohibitive...

Quote:
FWIW, the one time I've played thus far, I often let my older ships get kicked off because I decided my actions were better spent doing other things rather than upgrading the old ones.
I've played several solitaire games of Ships to get the rules down, but I haven't yet tried it against live competition. And what I've found in ALL my solitaire games is that I get suckered into upgrading ships every time! Somehow, that 2-points-per-obsolete-ship penalty gets into my head and I start throwing money around for upgrades rather than sending merchant cubes on to the board that might score me twice as many points. Of course, upgrading a ship will often allow one to put a merchant cube on the board anyway, but I'm awfully tempted to "outlaw" the upgrade action for a game just to see what it does to my game scores.

I suppose what I really need to try is having a couple of my solitaire "players" ignore upgrading while the other two do it as often as they can, and see what THAT does to their relative scores...

For some reason, groupthink is a real problem in my solitaire play...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DSHStratRat2 wrote:

But since it's impossible to have both galley and steamship counters on the board at the same time, there's no point in providing both types of counters. By the time you can put your first steamship counter out, the game will have already kicked all of your galleys off the board. So you really only need 12 ship counters of two different types, and then you'd switch back-and-forth between the two types when the shipping ages require it.
Which comes back to theme, again - it would just be odd to backtrack to the smaller ships :-) The ship shape also ties to which cards are out, but yeah - if you don't care about the theme, there's no reason you can't get by with just 12 ships per player.

Quote:
For some reason, groupthink is a real problem in my solitaire play...
I just can't imagine why :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls