Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm trying to decide on a Christmas present for a friend of mine. I originally bought him a couple new ships for Star Trek: Attack Wing, but he got both of the ships I bought him and isn't really interested in any other ships he doesn't already own.

Here is some gaming history and maybe this will spark some ideas.

The first modern game he absolutely fell in love with was Nothing Personal. He usually was a kingmaker because he loved to whack people for bribes.

For a while he was really big in to Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, along with Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Dark City, but now he won't even touch it.

His next favorite game was Terra Mystica, which he enjoyed so much that he bought his own copy because my copy did not get to the table often enough. After a half dozen plays, he decided the factions were too imbalanced and sold his copy off.

After that he obsessed over Argent: The Consortium, requesting to play it at every opportunity.

He recently purchased Eldritch Horror and hopes it will be the next big game for our group.

We used to play Twilight Imperium (Third Edition), StarCraft: The Board Game, and Eclipse, but they tend to be too long to hit the table much. Still one of his favorite themes though.

Also have played a lot of Risk.

He owns Level 7 [Omega Protocol], but feels it is too easy for the team. Wants to get his hands on an old copy of HeroQuest because he loved it as a kid, but we have access to Warhammer Quest and it never gets played.

When playing Power Grid, he has trouble determining a fair price in the auction. Played one game of Chaos in the Old World, won as Khorne, and decided the game was completely broken and not worth playing again. He is not impressed with Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 thus far.

His favorite reviewer is Tom Vasel, but he hates Cosmic Encounter.

Not a fan of party games or social deduction games, but enjoys games where he can antagonize others and get them riled up.

That should be enough history to spark some possible suggestions.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't get him any game. It sounds like he'll just whine about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
I wouldn't get him any game. It sounds like he'll just whine about it.
Ha, possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crinaya wrote:
Also have played a lot of Risk. (...)
Not a fan of party games or social deduction games, but enjoys games where he can antagonize others and get them riled up.
Give him a chance with Nexus Ops, or maybe Axis & Allies, or Quartermaster General for something more in the euro-wargame field.

Maybe with a little effort we could make an excellent grog out of him arrrh so proper wargames (introductory/average) could do the trick:
- Combat & Colors Ancients (check the whole franchise for other titles/eras; e.g. Memoir 44 or Battlelore are widely known)
- Hold the Line (very simple tactical, yet fun to play)
- Space Empires 4x (kicks Eclipse out of the window anytime imho)
- Band of Brothers (again a franchise, WW2 tactical)
- 1775 Rebellion (an euro-ish area control that's actually very fun and still plays like a light strategy consim)
- A House Divided (simple strategic ACW wargame)

I'm very curious for this case, so please post the results if you're in the mood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Recommended Christmas Pres
A nice playmat for attack wing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Iacono
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming price isn't an issue Neuroshima Hex! 3.0 would probably a good option, quite balanced & quite refreshing war style game.

Vince

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for the recommendations so far.

He does play Axis & Allies on occasion, so the war game route might be good. I'm not a grog myself, so it's a field of games I'm not very familiar with.

Looked at Nexus Ops before, but went with Kemet instead since the variable powers and advancement was more up my alley, but a straighter war game might be better for him.

I'll do some wargame research.

He already has a nice playmat for Attack Wing, but it's a good idea.

Neuroshima Hex! 3.0 sounds like it could be good for him as well, minus the ten thousand expansions. How well does it play with just the base game? How many of the expansions are mandatory, especially for 4 player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Rage might fit his interests. It's designed by the same person who made Chaos in the Old World and has some similar mechanics. You draft your cards each game, so every game is different, and every faction starts the game identical, and customizes their abilities with the draft. And it plays in under 2 hours once everyone knows the rules.

Cthulhu Wars is great, but expensive. They are in the midst of their second kickstarter if it interests you though.

Kemet is another great choice. The thing I like about Kemet is it really rewards attacking and yet there is an army size limit and so the leader can't snow ball too far out of control, and it's rare to feel like you are completely out of the race.

Unfortunately anyone who plays a game once and decides it is "broken" rather than even try to explore how to beat that "broken" strategy is going to be hard to guess on what he will like. Ideally a player at least goes to the forum and asks other players how they deal with that "overpowered" strategy before they write the game off. Every game out there has the potential to feel like something is "overpowered" or unbalanced, especially on just one play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice. Blood Rage and Kemet are already owned by others in the group. We haven't played Blood Rage yet, but we'll see if he likes it better than Chaos.

Re: Chaos in the Old World -
What really gets me is that he won with the "overpowered strategy," two other players were one turn away from winning if he didn't end it then, and I told everyone to start that on the first play Khorne tends to be powerful if you let him fight because everyone doesn't know all the nuance yet. Oh well, can't all be winners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it sounds like blind luck on pleasing him with a board game if he isn't willing to explore a game in more depth than that. Theme wise though he might like Star Wars Armada if he is a Star Wars fan at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's why I turned to a recommendation thread, to see if I was missing something obvious. I've been researching and buying games for years, and usually I have no problem finding something that someone will love, but this guy is just vexing me.

For Star Wars, he was a big expanded universe fan, but at this point he's much more of a Trek fan and not really hyped about Star Wars.

He was big into Shadowrun for a while, so maybe Shadowrun: Crossfire might be a thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe he would enjoy playing Dracula in Fury of Dracula (Second Edition), or playing the monsters vs all the other players in Super Dungeon Explore, so he can try to ruin all their plans.

Or kind of casually show him a game you are thinking of buying as if you are considering buying it for your self and see if he gives any feed back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Iacono
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just the base game for Neuroshima Hex! 3.0 would suffice & if he likes it a lot the expansions can be his presents for a while. Win/win.

Vince

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls