Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Gasch
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am having a difficult time finding this in the mass of forum topics, but if someone could relate to me how the High Priests work? I'm not sure if I should get them in the KS or not. Do you like them?

Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hobbit
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A High Priest is a 3P Cultist, with the following special rule "During Gather Power, or the Doom phase, or at any time during the action round, you may remove a High Priest from play to gain 2 Power."
Also with O2 there will be extra rules for named HP´s.
And yes, i like them a lot, as they are a power-battery you can use when needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
The mechanics, I think, don't reveal quite why High Priests are great. You get three benefits:

1. An extra guy to control a gate (more power, more doom).
2. An extra guy in each doom phase when you don't sack him (do that three times, you get him paid back).
3. A 2 power charge any time you need it. Just short of ritualling? High Priest. Out of power but need to respond to a threat? High Priest. Got a big plan for that one big turn but need an extra power or two to pull it off? High Priest. Feed up summoning your GOO then doing nothing the rest of the turn? High Priest.

Just the base case of turn one (move cultist, build gate, summon 1 point monster, summon high priest) gives you potentially 13 power in turn two, rather than the more common in the base game 10. Your second turn goes from "summon Goo, twiddle thumbs" to "summon GOO, and then do stuff".

And that's just a simple option.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yep, HP are awesome! Some factions profit more than others, but there's a viable strategy for every single faction. The tcho-Tcho even get 3 of them!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a stretch goal in the current KS campaign, there are 8 unique High Priests: Asenath Waite, Crawford Tillinghast, Ermengarde Stubbs, Herbert West, Lady de la Poer, Lavinia Whateley, Pitpipo, and Wizard Eibon.
When you recruit a HP for the first time you decide whether you recruit a generic one or a unique one.
If you recruit a unique one, you receive its loyalty card and you're the only player that can recruit them on this game.
Every one has different abilities.
For example Herbert West has:
Cost 3, Combat 0
(ongoing) The Reanimator Serum: after any player’s action, you may eliminate Herbert West and place up to 3 Acolyte cultists from your Pool in the Area Herbert was removed from.
They will certainly change the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alcex wrote:
"During Gather Power, or the Doom phase, or at any time during the action round, you may remove a High Priest from play to gain 2 Power."
I'm pretty sure that during the Action Phase you have to wait until after another player's action (this is a small detail, but it means that you can't blow up your High Priest in the middle of Battle or in the middle of Groth).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hobbit
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
That´s the wording from the compendium, but you are of course right, it´s the same as devolve.
And look what i found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
also the Tcho-Tcho high priests have spellbooks affecting them, beyond the normal High Priest bonuses.

One thing to remember about the Tcho-Tchos - if it's the last turn of the game, expect them to sack ALL 3 HPs for a 6 point last minute surge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R. Nielsen-Doss
United States
Hudson Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex, where are you getting the pics at? I confess the design is unfamiliar to me. I like it though!

Alcex wrote:
That´s the wording from the compendium, but you are of course right, it´s the same as devolve.
And look what i found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hobbit
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Pitpipo posted it once instead of the Pitpipo HP and deleted it afterwards, but it was still in his image collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R. Nielsen-Doss
United States
Hudson Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! Thanks!

Thumb up