Subject: Scenario 3 REs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Lucky Owner of a War of the Ring Collector's EditionMicrobadge: Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! - Russia 1941-1942 fanMicrobadge: Sekigahara: Unification of Japan fanMicrobadge: J. R. R. Tolkien fanMicrobadge: Heavy Metal fan
So, do the RE in this mission have a 1red base movement cost or 1blue base movement cost?

From the mission book: Rumored Tanks - All Rumored Enemy AI receive 1 track bonus movement (since they represent Tanks). RE follow all AI vehicle rules in section 5.4, including that they will not move into a hex that restricts their bonus movement.

It appears (to me) that they still have a 1red movement cost.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Abstract fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Modern abstract games fanMicrobadge: Vegan
maedhros wrote:
So, do the RE in this mission have a 1red base movement cost or 1blue base movement cost?

From the mission book: Rumored Tanks - All Rumored Enemy AI receive 1 track bonus movement (since they represent Tanks). RE follow all AI vehicle rules in section 5.4, including that they will not move into a hex that restricts their bonus movement.

Thank you.
Given them a track bonus movement would be meaningless and unusable if they had red movement (the red movement column has no situation permitting bonus movement)!

Since the REs "represent tanks", I think it's safe to assume their movement is intended to be blue/tracked like tanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
Microbadge: Detective: City of Angels fanMicrobadge: Level 10 BGG posterMicrobadge: Everdell fanMicrobadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: Terraforming Mars fan
It certainly feels easiest to just assume they have blue movement costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Lucky Owner of a War of the Ring Collector's EditionMicrobadge: Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! - Russia 1941-1942 fanMicrobadge: Sekigahara: Unification of Japan fanMicrobadge: J. R. R. Tolkien fanMicrobadge: Heavy Metal fan
russ wrote:
maedhros wrote:

Thank you.
Given them a track bonus movement would be meaningless and unusable if they had red movement (the red movement column has no situation permitting bonus movement)!

Since the REs "represent tanks", I think it's safe to assume their movement is intended to be blue/tracked like tanks.
That's what I was thinking.
But nothing here contradict rule 6.1. (Rumored Enemy (RE) Actions RE are treated like other AIs. RE have no facing, but act, move and execute orders just like other AI. All RE have a red foot movement cost of 1 and a firing range of 5. Note: RE are considered to have the lowest FP when choosing an AI to take an action (5.1.1)).

It is just specified that the REs receive a 1 track bonus movement and they follow rules 5.4.

That's why I am not so sure. A 1blue move cost seems more intuitive but maybe it was the intention to stay with a red move cost just to lower the chances that the REs become spent? I dont know.

One could also play this mission giving REs a Range of 8... but that's another story. This could be interesting.

I will replay this mission soon and I would really like to play it they way it was intended to be played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Abstract fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Modern abstract games fanMicrobadge: Vegan
maedhros wrote:
But nothing here contradict rule 6.1. (Rumored Enemy (RE) Actions RE are treated like other AIs. RE have no facing, but act, move and execute orders just like other AI. All RE have a red foot movement cost of 1 and a firing range of 5. Note: RE are considered to have the lowest FP when choosing an AI to take an action (5.1.1)).

It is just specified that the REs receive a 1 track bonus movement and they follow rules 5.4.
I agree that interpreting literally, there is no statement that they have blue movement instead of red. But if the intention would be that they have red movement, it would make no sense to say they have a bonus tread movement, because red units never get to USE a bonus tread movement in any situation, so it would be like the scenario saying "All ice hexes are treated as desert hexes" - i.e. it would be meaningless ballast which doesn't change anything at all and has no effect.

I think we can safely assume they intended the scenario-specific rule to have some effect, and that they did not intend to add a blue tread bonus movement to units moving with red movement and which therefore cannot use the blue tread bonus movement...

Of course the intention must surely be that they can use the blue tread bonus movement which is explicitly given to them for the scenario. So the most plausible & obvious & simple interpretation, it seems to me, is that RE have blue movement in the scenario (since they "represent tanks", and tanks have blue movement).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
russ wrote:
maedhros wrote:

I agree that interpreting literally, there is no statement that they have blue movement instead of red. But if the intention would be that they have red movement, it would make no sense to say they have a bonus tread movement, because red units never get to USE a bonus tread movement in any situation, so it would be like the scenario saying "All ice hexes are treated as desert hexes" - i.e. it would be meaningless ballast which doesn't change anything at all and has no effect.

I think we can safely assume they intended the scenario-specific rule to have some effect, and that they did not intend to add a blue tread bonus movement to units moving with red movement and which therefore cannot use the blue tread bonus movement...

Of course the intention must surely be that they can use the blue tread bonus movement which is explicitly given to them for the scenario. So the most plausible & obvious & simple interpretation, it seems to me, is that RE have blue movement in the scenario (since they "represent tanks", and tanks have blue movement).
That's how I will play the mission.
Going to set up the game now
Thanks to all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
When determining the Priority Order(only for this mission) Fresh AI < Fresh Units= AI Passes, I only count the fresh AI who are on the board?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fresh AI = Unspent AI on board plus RE counters on board plus any AI reinforcements coming in this round (not including the ones in the RE draw cup), if any. Unless the FF has more specific rules, which FF 3 does. So, you count only fresh AI on board for FF 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 04 BGG poster
Quote:
When determining the Priority Order Fresh AI < Fresh Units= AI Passes, I only count the fresh AI who are on the board?

Well, for advancing the mission track orders, Rumored Enemy, Hidden Units, and reinforcements arriving this turn are all counted, but non-combat units like trucks and wagons are not (rules, 2.3.1.) I would assume (always dangerous, I know) that the same applies to Priority Orders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
pisqueeter wrote:
Fresh AI = Unspent AI on board plus RE counters on board plus any AI reinforcements coming in this round (not including the ones in the RE draw cup), if any. Unless the FF has more specific rules, which FF 3 does. So, you count only fresh AI on board for FF 3.
Thank you, sir.

But where did you found this in the rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
maedhros wrote:
But where did you found this in the rulebook?
4.1.2 has a blue note at the end of the section: "Note: Fresh AI include RE."

4.1.2 wrote:
AI Passes: Instead of "Execute Counteractions" some cards check to see
if the AI passes. Compare the number of Fresh AI to the number of Fresh
Units, including reinforcements arriving this round. If there are fewer Fresh
AI than Fresh Units, the AI passes. Note: Fresh AI include RE.
This blue note about RE isn't in my printed version but is in the new PDF which you can download.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Strictly speaking the "not including the ones in the RE draw cup" is not in the rule book, but if you are counting the RE on board, you wouldn't count the units in the cup, which will replace some or all of the RE.

The section I refer to is in the original boxed version of the rules, Section 2.3.1, where it states the following (emphasis mine):

Quote:
At the top of some Green Cards is the condition to advance the Mission Track marker by +1 or +2 spaces. This is only done when the
card is drawn as an AI Order card (not when drawn as an AP Spent
Check card). To advance the Mission Track, the number of AI plus the
number of Units in play must be equal to or less than the specified
number. Fresh / Spent Units and AI, Rumored Enemy counters (6.0),
hidden Units and AI, and Reinforcements arriving this round are included
in the count.
Non-combat counters, such as Trucks and Wagons, are not
counted.
Apply this rule for Fresh AI and you have Fresh AI (including hidden AI), RE counters and AI reinforcements arriving this round. You naturally exclude AI in the RE draw cup as they were counted in the RE unit count. Then you apply the special rule in FF #3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |