Hide
4 Posts

Germantown» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stephen and Stacking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Ivey
msg tools
I'm hoping someone can clear up questions about Gen. Stephen's movement.

1. Each unit has to move as far as it can (exclusive rule 3.2.1). Since some units have more MPs than others, it is expected that Stephen's units won't stay together and will end up scattered right?

2. How are stacking limits resolved? On turn 2, Gen Stephen shows up on hex A1 with about 20 units. Let's say the roll is 6 (southwest), so they have to follow Lime Kiln road right? Ignoring stacking, all 12 of the the infantry units would stop 8 hexes down the road (hex 3405).

What does stacking do to this?

My guess is that, since you move one unit at a time, the infantry backs up along the road as stacking limits block movement. In other words, the first few infantry get to move 8 hexes until there's a full stack, and then the next few infantry only get to move 7 hexes, and so on, so you get a string of fully-stacked hexes. Is that right?

3. Is the American player free to choose which order they move Stephen's units in? If they choose to move officers first, the officers will get to go 12 hexes down the road, but if they move last, they'll only get to move about 5 hexes before they are blocked by the infantry. Is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Carter
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have it right up to the point about the officers. Officers don't count against the stacking limit of the unit. (see 7.1 of the series rules) Also, if you look at the living rules, it says
Quote:
Exception: General Stephen must always end Stephen’s
Movement Phase stacked with at least one of his infantry
units.

Overall, look at the living rules, it makes things a lot clearer. They can be found here: https://www.gmtgames.com/living_rules/Germantown_LivingPlayb...

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ivey
msg tools
I'm realizing now that my brother and I made a lot of mistakes in our first attempt to play. It got very confusing by turn 4 and we gave up, but it is all making more sense now!

Thanks for the link to the updated rules, that does help! And thanks for the reminder about officers not counting for stacking, I had forgotten that detail.

Is it right that of all the American units which come in on turn 2, only the ones marked "St" move randomly and do friendly fire? McDougall's and Greene's units move under player control?

Also, am I right in thinking that series rule 7.1 prohibits having 2 artillery units in the same hex? ("Each hex may contain up to six friendly SPs...and one friendly artillery unit")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Carter
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct on both counts. Artillery cannot be stacked with other artillery (except for some scenario rules like in Monmouth where there's an artillery Demi-leader. But that's not relevant here) and only units marked St move randomly.

Keep at it. It's a great series! I'm glad it's making sense to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.