Subject: Playtesting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Seidler
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 1. FC Köln fanMicrobadge: Darklight: Memento Mori fanMicrobadge: Kingdom Death: Monster fanMicrobadge: Shadows of Brimstone fanMicrobadge: The Order of Vampire Hunters fan
Hi Rodger,

could you please tell us a bit more about playtesting of Dungeon Crusade? Since we know that you're going to assemble the prototype in the next days I'm wondering how the game was playtested before? How much playtesting was done and are you still going to do? Will there be blind playtesting? And if so, do you think there will be enough time to do so before production starts?

Please don't misunderstand my intention to ask, I love the idea you have for this project and I absolutely love your enthusiasm about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Deering
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Hi there Chris, great hearing from you! I have been creating/developing Dungeon Crusade for 7 1/2 years now. Me personally, I know when things are right as rain, and basically when they suck! I'm speaking in gameplay, mechanics, the ebb & flow of how a great game should work. I have had some people through the years in and out giving their opinions on a few things.

Please understand this...the reason Dungeon Crusade took so long is everything "works" in this game. Any factor/game mechanic/gameplay element that was not right, or just basically sucked, was either A) removed from the game or B) Reworked in a different way to make it a exciting part of the game and a good game mechanic in Dungeon Crusade. LOL, I guess my motto for this would be "All killer, No filler".

For playtesting, and this is something I learned LONG ago, and I'd pass this on to a fellow game developer starting out. ALWAYS in the creation process and in personal playtesting, use the basic stuff. Create some very generic hero cards, monsters cards, loot cards. The best way is use a program such as photoshop or paint.net and design a simple layout where it will have all the basic info you need to start playtesting. It can be super basic, just enough so you can start throwing ideas out, game mechanics, and get a feel of what your going for. Another thing is use parts for other games while your getting your ideas in order. I started out using those D&D minis. When Dungeon Crusade is revealed, I'm going to show you everything I used for playtesting. And there is a TON of it! I think people would like to see just how many revision after revision after revision over the years I went through to come up with the final game design, and some of the game content that was totally scrapped from the game. I assure you, the final design of Dungeon Crusade was not just thought up overnight, it was years of trial and error, to come up with something unique, innovative and fun that I'm super proud to show to fellow gamers and the world.

I know my replies can get SUPER long, but I like to share some of my life and ideas with everyone about Dungeon Crusade. I'm going to give you an example of something I thought of for Dungeon Crusade that at the time on paper was "TOTALLY FREAKIN' AWESOME, THIS IS ONE OF THE COOLEST PARTS OF THE GAME!". And in playtesting, it pretty much sucked. I came up with the concept there would be ambushes in the game. Cool idea right? The heroes are on a quest, and a bunch of monsters ambush the heroes, awesome combat, a bunch of miniatures just battling it out. And as I said, it was terrible. It really bogged down the experience that I'm trying to give gamers with the game. I brought over a few very close friends and shared this when them. I knew even before it was said, it just didn't work. But what I did was salvage out some very small parts of this idea that really worked, scrapped the rest, and created a VERY cool game mechanic that works perfectly and is something fun to experience in the game.

And YES!!! Of course that will be very rigorous playtesting with a dedicated gaming group locally who have reached out to me and said they would like to help playtest Dungeon Crusade. If funded, for the next 3 months there will playtesting done to attempt to "break" the game, and de-bug the rules. But this goes back to me taking so long to finalize the game. I'm a way perfectionist. I have looked at every game mechanic in Dungeon Crusade, and the game runs incredibly well. If it didn't there is NO WAY I would even think of putting this on kickstarter.

I'm planning on making a lot of videos of some playthroughs and videos of the features in Dungeon Crusade for people to watch and make sure it's for them. In this day and age with the internet and especially You Tube, people can sit & relax and watch Dungeon Crusade being played right before their eyes and see if it's something that they might enjoy. I've said it before, if you have the slightest pulse for heroes, monsters, loot and anything of that nature, I think people are going to embrace what Dungeon Crusade has to offer for them.

The last thing I do want to touch on for you Chris and anybody else is how I designed Dungeon Crusade. I haven't talked that much about it. But know this more than anything....I want fellow gamers & people to just have FUN with Dungeon Crusade! LOL, yes, I said fun with the caps lock on! But really, I want them to go into this game knowing their in for a real treat of a game, and something they have never quite experienced before. We all love new things to wrap our head around.

Also, I did not design this game to be a simple game, but in NO WAY, shape, or form is this a overly complex game with a 90 page rule book. There is WAY to many of those kind of games out there. Dungeon Crusade is going to be a fairly easy game to just pick up and learn. Just from the videos, you'll understand how it's played. Strategy, tactics, planning, surprises, randomness, and just plain fun to play.

I want to personally teach people the game over You Tube, and right when they get their copy, open it up, assemble it and start playing ASAP, and just skim the rulebook as needed.

OK Chris I hope that shed some light on Dungeon Crusade a bit for you. Just so you know, I'm on the last of these UBER high level monsters right now. I'm typing in the stats and their special abilities and all of the monsters/creatures in Dungeon Crusade (86 of them) are totally finished! Then it's a few days on a few re-writes and a few changes to some of the game content and this game is DONE! Then it's a matter of putting all of the content on the digital templates for printing, and print this monster out and assemble it.

Have a great day Chris! It was nice hearing from you and truly a great question you asked! Talk to you soon....Rodger p.s. there may be typos in some stuff, but I type super fast....so do forgive me if there is some!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls