Mendel Lius
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I encountered the following situation :

The 82nd unit was in hex 0314 and had to perform the "withdrawal under fire" action, since it is in dander of surround from GE units proximate to 0414 hex.

Both available hexes are in US communications. 0214 was eligible since I am supposed to ignore ZOC in first hex entered. However no information is available regarding how to choose the first hex. The "with preference given...." seems to apply to the 2nd hex entered or more.

I decided to apply those criteria anyway and to follow the withdrawal direction (picture above), so the move is different from a "rearward" move (rules p28) since I am supposed to avoid enemy ZOC.

Then I stopped since no longer in danger of surround.

Did I act right? Position of this unit can change a lot of things, and since the taking of Liege is in the balance...

In addition it prompted me to wonder about the differences with the "pull back action" :
- "withdrawal" allows the US unit to extract itself from more delicate situation (surrounded)
- the "withdrawal" is more disciplined in a way, since the unit is allowed to ignore ZOC in first hex entered and will stick to the withdrawal direction and can keep contact with the Germans. "Pull back" is just about going rearward and going away from the germans.

For instance, with "pull back", the 82nd unit would have gone to 0315 and stop.

Is this right?

Thanks
M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank cavallaro
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I had a similar question...

An American unit advanced into a westwall hex via the "Advance" Action Card, and was surrounded later by Germans and put into low supply.

I then pulled action card "Withdrawl Under Fire" there are no directional arrows in the westwall hex how do I proceed?

JB's Answer

A unit will perform the Withdrawal Under Fire action only if proximate to or adjacent to a hex in Allied communication. Its move will be to such a hex, regardless of directional arrows.

This might help
Frank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendel Lius
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! But in this case both eligible hexes are in communication :
- 1 is in GE ZOC but follows the withdrawal arrow
- the 2nd has no GE ZOCbut does not follow the arrow.

As the card does not say "move rearward" I do not feel compelled to avoid GE ZOC.

M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Butterfield
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The US unit would follow the withdrawal arrow into hex 0214, since the unit ignores ZOCs in the first hex entered, and stop there. The preferences given for moving additional hexes should also apply to the first hex of the move. We will clarify this in the addenda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.