Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
Microbadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: Star Trek: Attack Wing fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game fanMicrobadge: Wings of War: WWI Miniatures fan
I play Wings of Glory a lot and i love playing dive bombers.
Here is what i came up with, it needs to be tested and possibly adjusted.

The Vertical Dive:
- The vertical dive can be executed by dive bombers only (Val, Stuka, Dountless, ...).
- The dive bomber announces "vertical dive" by planning Dive a moving the arrow to the 6 o'clock position.
- This maneuver doesn't need any check and the speed is not announced.
- Rise the actual speed by 2 (never over the maximum speed)
- The dive bomber shall put "nose down", however the pilot cannot shoot during the maneuver - the gunner can shoot to the same and upper level, but the target area is the 6 hexes around the dive bomber hex.
- The maneuver just takes the airplane one altitude level down, without any turning around.

This maneuver can be executed even without intention of bombing - remember Stanley Vejtasa making use of his Dountless sturdy construction and kicking butt of 4 Zeroes (3 shot down, one flied if i remember well).

The Bomb Drop:
There are 3 conditions that shall be met to hit the target by a vertical dive attack:
1. The 2 previous maneuvers must have been Vertical dives.
2. The bomber must be at altitude 1
3. Whatever the dive bomber has planned, if he announces "dropping a bomb" after revealing the dial and the conditions 1 and 2 have been met, he moves one hex forward and 1 or 2 altitudes upward (pilot's choice) and lowers the speed accordingly (-1/-2). The target is hit if it was under the bomber when the bombing was announced. The bomber's guns are silent this turn. This maneuver to be called a Bomb Drop.

EDIT 1
Additional rules:
- You cannot tail or be tailed on the turn you have executed a Vertical Dive or Bomb Drop.
- You can re-roll 2 attack dice of an opponent that attacked you on the same turn you have carried out Vertical Dive or Bomb Drop maneuvers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see this being useful for scenarios where dive bombers need to attack objectives. Fellow FLAC players, please test Jan's dive bomber house rules and post your comments. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
Microbadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: Star Trek: Attack Wing fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game fanMicrobadge: Wings of War: WWI Miniatures fan
We tested a Battle of Britain scenario with dive bombing today. It was 2xMe109E (one expert pilot) + 2x Stuka against 3 Hurries and one Spit. Germans started in alt. 4, Brits at alt. 3.
It was all working smooth, just the target should be at least 20 hexes away from the starting Stuka position. We had it just 14 hexes and that wasn't enough. Stukas are too hard to shoot down being Rugged. On the other hand it was just one game, so i don't consider it tested.

The loaded Stukas couldn't go in hi speed and all their maneuver check were -1.
It is nice to release that Stukas at alt. 4 have just one vertical dive to be used as an evasive maneuver, but then they have to keep the other two to bomb the target (here i assume there is very little chance for them to Climb loaded).

To set a target 20 hexes away from the starting position just use a token say 14 hexes away, and then in the course of the game move all aircraft back 6 hexes and the token becomes the target. Or such ....

We will test it a bit more when i am back from my Christmas holidays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls