Subject: Grim - Do you like him? Too many hurdles. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shir E
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First Ill post the Grim's abilities at each level:

Grim Blade - Human Cleric Level1 Str4 Physical Attack +2
Spoils:Set the defeated monster and this card aside. Return both to your deck at the end of the game.

Grim Militant - Human Cleric Level2 Str5 Physical Attack +3
Spoils:Discard 2 XP to set the defeated monster aside. Return it to your deck at the end of the game.

Grim Scourge - Human Cleric Level3 Str5 Physical Attack +4
Spoils:Set the defeated monster aside. Return it to your deck at the end of the game.

Grim Reaper - Human Cleric Level4 Str6 Physical Attack +5
Spoils:Set the defeated monster and any monsters present aside. Return them to your deck at the end of the game.

Now, the Grim at a first glance is a pretty cool hero, he has a deck thinning ability to get rid (but not permanently) of all those monsters that are showing up when you really would rather have a useful card.
However he is super hard to use!

Undoubtedly at levels 3 and 4, he is amazing. I have no problems with him. He does not have a particularly high attack but its ok, and his strength will also let you use almost all weapons by level 2.

However he is very lackluster at levels 1 and 2.
At level 1, its a one-off. Usually not the best use of the Grim. But I get that it is just a first step.

At level 2, those 2 experience will really way down on you, especially since you will need them to get to level 3.

Its not that he isn't useful, its that while your opponents will be upgrading to a level 2 that will be kicking ass, you are upgrading slowly and really his ability only becomes relevant at level 3.

Do you like using the Grim?
Are there any combos or Technics that you have found useful when using him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't really comment on Grim himself, ItA is one of the sets I don't have (thought about picking it up despite quite a few duplicates of cards I already have in classic TS), but regarding 2XP cost, are you finding XP that hard to come by in TSA? Even with M&M XP from Numenera (also ItA I think), there's always a good sized pool leftover unused toward the end of the game when you're just hitting the dungeon whenever your good heroes pop up. If you level a Grim to lvl 3, you could run back-up lvl 2 Grims and use not only lvl 3 Spoils but also XP to set aside monsters, depending on who you have in hand when you make the kill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shir E
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct, by the late game the XP have piled up.

The problem is that when you are starting off, you need the XP to level up.
And if you spend it on the Level 2 ability you will remain behind.
Not to mention that the Grim Level 2, is not quite as strong as many of the other level 2 heroes, making it harder to kill those monsters.

In my experience the whole "beginning" of the game is building your deck, and gaining those XP tokens, to level up, so that that spending those XP tokens to remove 1 mostly useless card....is quite expensive.

At the end of the game, sure, use them, but by then you are behind...i think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dornian
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
[Insert witty joke here]
mbmbmbmbmb
The Grim can be an extraordinarily powerful card when used right.

In Thunderstone every game has a large deck management component, at towards the end game deck clutter becomes a real problem. The grim allows you to keep attacking without gaining clutter.

Here's an example of the power of this: I played a game once where mid-game my opponent started spending a long time resting to destroy cards (even some monsters) until he had nothing left but 6 cards. The perfect dungeon hand, which included a lvl 4 Grim. From that point forward he went to the dungeon every single turn always storing away his monsters and never cluttering his deck.

Needless to say that I realized too late what was happening and lost miserably. I suppose that if I had been a bit faster, this strategy would be too slow. But going to the dungeon every single turn until the end of the game is a very strong ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Dam the Man wrote:
If you level a Grim to lvl 3, you could run back-up lvl 2 Grims and use not only lvl 3 Spoils but also XP to set aside monsters, depending on who you have in hand when you make the kill.
Just to add to this, Grim has the rare Spoils ability that doesn't stack. Once I have an L3, I no longer need L1s and L2s, at least not for their Spoils. But the L1s and L2s play nicely together, because at any given moment I might rather lose the L1, or keep it and lose the 2XP from the L2.

If I buy three L1s, and end up sacrificing two of them to keep my deck thin, that L2 Grim might find himself in a stronger deck that is more easily able to defeat monsters (assuming I've also bought suitable replacements for the lost L1s), and therefore has enough XP to exercise the L2 Spoils ability and still have enough leftover to level up.

To Scott's example, Grim can be a solo hero against the right monsters (e.g., who don't have hero-destroying effects), but I've also found he plays nicely with any card that likes to pair with itself or relies on any other non-monster pairing. If that card happens to also be contributing to the attack, then this will compensate for the L1 Grims exiting your deck.

Grim also becomes more/less desirable if monsters have positive/negative trophy effects. I would favor Grim against a monster group like Incarnate•Abyssal or Abyssal•Horde. He makes it easier to face Convergence Master, and much less dangerous to enter the dungeon when Heart of Doom is around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
The worst pirate I've ever seen
Microbadge: Folklore fanMicrobadge: Dragonfire fanMicrobadge: LEVEL 7 [ESCAPE] fanMicrobadge: Thunderstone Quest fanMicrobadge: A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game fan
I play solo and I use randomizer. Today I got to play with Grim for the first time. I managed to level him up to lvl 4. I also played with Snakehead Flail. Great combo! I love Grim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls