Subject: Wargame Design Questions and Ideas... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Vasquez
United States
Dyess AFB
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Heavy Metal fanMicrobadge: US Air ForceMicrobadge: Doom: The Roguelike fan
Hello fellow boardgame designers and (hopefully) wargamers! I've always wanted to design my own conflict simulation and always have ideas rolling around in my head, and what I'm aiming for is something modern / near-future, battalion to brigade sized units, and a LARGE emphasis on combined arms. Here's a few snags I'm running into...

- What is the best way to show the vulnerability of unsupported armor? I want each combat unit to have an "anti-tank" value of sorts, but with too many values comes too many rolls and tables.

- In modern conflict where warfare has become more deadly but less lethal at the same time, what would be the best way to represent that? Step losses, while ideal for showing the gradual degradation of a unit, seems a bit archaic.

- One game I've always enjoyed from the combined arms aspect is "The Korean War." It treats armor as assets that provides potential bonuses on an attack. Is there a possible way to modernize this aspect?

Looking forward to a great discussion and some suggestions. Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Microbadge: World in Flames fanMicrobadge: I edit my posts in the quest for perfetcion.Microbadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Svengoolie fanMicrobadge: Hyperbole is, without question, the single greatest thing in the entire universe!
You may also want to post this in the wargamers forum.

The idea of using armor as assets (as in The Korean War) is interesting. Check out the rules to Liberty Roads and Victory Roads; both are division-scale games which use "supports" to represent useful things (like air support and Tiger tanks) that are too small to have a full counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vasquez
United States
Dyess AFB
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Heavy Metal fanMicrobadge: US Air ForceMicrobadge: Doom: The Roguelike fan
Wendell, I've actually seen a similar mechanic in The Dark Valley, where support counters that represent battalions of Tiger tanks can be attached to units for a bonus to attack and defense. A very neat concept at that larger operational scale, but not exactly the way I'm hoping to represent the uniqueness of armor in combined arms warfare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Game Explainer
Each unit usually adds one die to the pool.
Infantry, Tanks, and Artillery are examples of units.

Infantry hits on a one.
Tanks hits on a two.
Artillery hits on a three.

When defending, Tanks adds two dice to the pool.
When attacking, Artillery adds two dice to the pool.

Combat procedure is as follows: Roll the pool. Match dice to units who can use them to hit. Announce hits to opponent, who degrades units or removes them. Attack and defense is simultaneous.

Air support adds a die to the pool, but is not a unit.
Anti-air blocks that die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Gundam fanMicrobadge: Parent of big brother and little sisterMicrobadge: WargamerMicrobadge: Game Design Hobbyist
I think most modern battalion to brigade size units have built-in combined arms. A modern tank battalion has two companies of tanks plus one company of infantry. And an Infantry battalion may have three infantry companies plus a tank company.

In traditional wargames, armor units usually have a higher attack value while infantry units have good defense value.

The simplest way to implement the vulnerability of unsupported armor is having a step loss result in CRT. An armor unit with infantry support can spend the cheap infantry unit as combat causalty but armors without infantry support means the armor unit has to be lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls