Hide
9 Posts

BGG» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: Need Help Pls rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Teng
msg tools
Microbadge: D-Day Sergeants fanMicrobadge: FIFA of EA SPORTS fanMicrobadge: I play Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG
Hi all,

I am currently creating a new board game and would appreciate help from you guys to help go through my instruction manuals and let me know if they are easy to understand.

Feel free to provide any feedback be it design or game play concept or even any other improvement.

I will really appreciate all the help and thank everyone in advance.

Prototype

Game Board Design

Sample Game Card

Game Manual 1

Game Manual 2

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: Thread Necromancer... I revive dead threads.Microbadge: Playing until death!Microbadge: Kickstarter fanMicrobadge: Tokyo/Osaka Game Market attendeeMicrobadge: I edit my posts incessantly
Hey! Welcome to BGG. So, (before I read the rules) what's your game about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your concept is solid, proved by Stratego and the more applicable Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation.
You'll need to make sure given that your picking cards for units it will stay balanced.

Also in the rules re-orient the board so vertical is vertical and horizontal is horizontal

Interested to see how it all plays out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to The Geek.

Here are my suggestions for changes to your rules:

Opening intro:
-Best not to mention another game by name. If you want to say it is like Chess, say it is an abstract strategy game.
-The objective is simply to capture the opponent's leader or home. not to move or decrypt pieces. Moving and decrypting are steps you take toward that goal, but one could win by capturing home without decrypting any pieces.

Gameplay section:
1-4. These steps are part of the setup, not gameplay.
1. 6-25 is a HUGE range. What is the point of diluting your choices by going that high? Do people really run through more than 15 cards in a game? Think of Magic where technically you can have any number over 60, but in practice very very few people go over that number. Just set it at the number that works best.
2. Does your opponent know what cards you have? Do they pick randomly or not? Right now it reads as though you arrange them randomly. You may want to explicitly state which card is tagged to which token.
3. You only tell the blue player where to start?
4. The Movement section of the rules offers no help for choosing start player. Just leave it at "Decide who starts", that is OK.
6. Delete this line. You are telling me to reset the entire game after each turn. Since movement for encrypted pieces is only one spot this game would never end unless the first player decrypted their middle piece to go all the way across the board, jump over the piece in the way, and capture the leader.
5-7. The way it is written puts battles outside anyone's turn. Have each turn consist of:
a) Movement
b) Check if there is a battle.

Skill section:
-Passive usually refers to an ability that is always in effect. If these skills only happen when a piece is acting I would call that an Active skill.

The rest looks pretty good. I didn't address the many grammatical errors, which you'll want to clear up sooner or later. (Perhaps sooner if they change how a rule is interpreted.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Teng
msg tools
Microbadge: D-Day Sergeants fanMicrobadge: FIFA of EA SPORTS fanMicrobadge: I play Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG
Thank you for all the feedback and I will look into all these before launching the game. I felt very welcoming here. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Teng
msg tools
Hi Charles, Thank you. This is a strategy game that is played with a deck of animal game cards and the objective is to defeat opponent's leader or capture the opponent's home.

Do have a look at the rules and I would appreciate if you can give me some feedback to improve my game.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Teng
msg tools
Charles, you can take a look at the quick instruction of the game to give you some ideas of what is it about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Teng
msg tools
Hi all,

This is the revised design of the playing card. Feel free to leave any comments for improvement on the card design or layout.

I am also seeking for play tester. Do let me know if you are interested so that i can forward you the prototype artwork for you to try it out.

Thank you.

Alan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Teng
msg tools
Hi all,

I have deleted previous post as the video would not play. I have inserted the link to the video instead.

I am still looking for play tester so that i can improve on my expansion set.

Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_YLp4zbI9k

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls