BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Burnt out on our favorites....any ideas? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
seeggd ddeed
United States
California
flag msg tools
Howdy, my board game group and I have gotten pretty sick of our standard game night games that we have been playing for years now.

There are four of us and we normally have about 2-4 hours to finish a game but due to the competitive nature of our group. A game that lists 45 minutes games would probably take three times that because of each of us thinking about our turn for so long before we act. We normally play Settlers of Catan or Talisman and have between our various members literally all of the expansions for these games. We have tried other games in the past but we can't seem to find a good fit for the following reasons;

small world: Not very well balanced despite claims of good replay, some players felt they were getting ganged up too much, caused arguments at the table.

World of Warcraft: Liked the detail and dice rolling mechanics but there was a bit too much to keep track of and some of the rules were a bit confusing...Takes way, way too long to finish.

Civilization: Liked the game's theme of empire building and management plus some diplomacy and trade but the war/units mechanic was terrible and we literally never finished a game because there was just too much going on and turns took forever...

Marvel Heroes: Liked the comic theme, some light strategic planning made the game have a decent replay value but only having 4 teams to choose from got boring quick plus certain characters had game-breaking powers that made the player using them the victor more often than not...Never expanded...

It's kind of hard to say what we are looking for...Settlers has a nice quick learning curve but takes time to really master and has enough chance involved where it doesn't feel like a chess match. The table talk is also a major draw for us. We really like the fantasy theme in talisman and games that are like a race to be the first to become the king/ruler etc seem to be really fun.

I think we have outgrown these games because settlers just isn't complex enough and talisman is just too random and doesn't offer very rewarding play since player skill really isn't a factor...

Based on what our group liked and didn't like does anyone have any suggestions on games we might try? The more suggestions the better since we are really looking for more games to try out, thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys need to play faster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Iacono
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Check out:
Five Tribes - not to hard to learn but will take time to get really good (very ap prone though)
Nothing Personal - step up from settlers regarding negotiation (easy to tailor the length of the game, use a timer or will get too long based on ur group)
Bohnanza - similar to above but simpler
Ticket to Ride - great evergreen title, can be kept fresh with expansions & new maps

Vince

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few recommendations

Sheriff of Nottingham - If you like table talk, negotiation and lying, you need to try this. It plays from 3-5 and I've very much enjoyed my games at 4. You are trying to smuggle goods into Nottingham and each player will take 2 turns being the sheriff. The Sheriff has the option to inspect the bag or let it through. If they inspect the bag and the person was lying, they pay a fine to the sheriff, if the person was telling the truth, the sheriff pays them a fine. It's a great game of misdirection and there are abundant opportunities for hilarious moments.

Antike II - This is a conflict themed game with civilisation elements. It has a pretty simple core mechanism, but lots of depth to gameplay. It's a good game that I don't get to play often enough because I always pick...

Imperial to play instead. Imperial is one of my all time favourite games. This might prove to long for you, particularly if you end up treating it as a war game. It's a mix of conflict and investment which is unlike anything else I've played. Given everything you've said above though, I would treat it with caution. Perhaps try Antike first, then if you really enjoy it and want something a little more move onto Imperial.

Cyclades - this is a really fun conflict themed game. Much more balanced than small world. The game has an auction at the start of each round which determines what you can do. It's clever, it's really pretty, and it plays on average in 90m.

Galaxy Trucker - This is less interactive and there is a fair amount of luck, but nevertheless it's one of the most entertaining games I've played. You'll enjoy this if you like laughing at one another's misfortune.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NeedANewGame wrote:
I think we have outgrown these games because settlers just isn't complex enough and talisman is just too random and doesn't offer very rewarding play since player skill really isn't a factor...
The answer is maybe Terra Mystica. An economic/building game like settlers, but more complex and no luck. Very high replayability, well balanced game, suited for competetive gaming. Definitly has some chess-like feeling. I'm kind of addicted... relativly low downtime as it's many small moves and you can often already plan while the others are playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy
Alien Frontiers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
mbmbmbmbmb
-1 Five Tribes. That is a mean, mean recommendation for someone who already admits playing 3x the time on the box. So much to think over here and you§ll go crazy about the fact that you can't predict it all no matter how you try. Also has very little randomness after setup.

If you want a bunch of table talk - try Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game or Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game? They're both more about the experience than gameplay, like Talisman, yet it's not a luckfest.

Kemet, similar idea to smallworld, non-random execution.

Imperial Settlers for a Catan replacement, or Keyfower

+1 Race for the Galaxy will keep you occupied for long, has a bunch of expansions, great depth, the better player mostly wins but there's still some randomness in card draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:
You guys need to play faster
Thats the point a nutshell. There are more complex and better games out there, civilization being one of them, but if you take 2-4 hours in settlers you are going to take 6-8 hours in civilization and thats not fun.

So if you want to enjoy more complex game you have to play faster somehow or the game will become stale.

Eclipse, Agricola, Axis:Allies, Clash of Culture, Puerto Rico... are all good games but must be played in 3-5 hours max or the game will be too long for what it is and doesnt get to completion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Cyclades
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ginkgopolis
Gold West

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Martin
United Kingdom
Polegate
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 Five Tribes My current favourite game
+1 Cyclades Bought it last week and played for the first time Friday night. loved it and so did everyone that played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Passick
United States
Charlotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Figure I'll try my hand at a few recommendations for ya. It sounds like it may be time to try out a few new types of games. Mix things up a little.

Like a couple other folks on here, I'd say Sheriff of Nottingham could handle your love of table talk while still being competitive. Likewise The Resistance could work as depending on whether you have enough players.

Maybe a good worker placement game could offer enough competition and deeper gameplay without being so serious that it blocks out conversation. Lords of Waterdeep is a good one, especially with the expansion though it may be too lite. Maybe something like Kingsburg would work better.

Also, a good dice game could shorten up those play times a little. Maybe King of New York since it's a bit meatier than Tokyo.

Games with simultaneous action could be a nice change of pace as well. The only one in my collection is Rise of Augustus which I recommend frequently since it's so fun and crazy easy to teach. I know there other games with that quick "everyone plays at the same time" element.

Finally, I can't shake the idea that Quantum may be the game for your group. It's a little more heavy than most of the games you've listed while still being pretty streamlined so you aren't checking the rules every few minutes. Plus it's short enough that even with your increased play time, it might even out to around 2 hours.

Hope some of this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars - AthensMicrobadge: Empire of the Sun fanMicrobadge: For the People fanMicrobadge: I read the Babylon Bee!Microbadge: South Carolina
Between Two Cities is short, but packs a punch.

Dead of Winter is longer, but wow, the story telling, hidden agenda mechanics are amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
The major info needed is how many players are you?

If you want a game that's quick and has table talk, how about Shadow Hunters? It's insanely easy to learn and game last around 30 minutes or so - but then you ALWAYS want to play another round and it's awesome. A lot of people say it shines with large numbers, but we absolutely love it even at 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Hunter is a good game for 6+ people and works better for more.

I have a similar gaming group to the one you've described. Games that have really worked:

Lords of Waterdeep w/ expansions - Has a good take that element and a lot of planning and keeping people of the spots they want. Solid worker placement game.

Suburbia - Not as interactive over the table, but has a universal theme with some great mechanics.

Among the Stars- A Great drafting game with variable player powers to create variety and enough expansions to keep growing the game and making it have more depth and complexity.

Merchants and Merauders - a lot of theme around a great game, are you going to be a pirate and attack people or a safe merchant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
The major info needed is how many players are you?

If you want a game that's quick and has table talk, how about Shadow Hunters? It's insanely easy to learn and game last around 30 minutes or so - but then you ALWAYS want to play another round and it's awesome. A lot of people say it shines with large numbers, but we absolutely love it even at 4.

NeedANewGame wrote:
There are four of us and we normally have about 2-4 hours to finish a game but due to the competitive nature of our group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A 2-4 hour game of Settlers sounds awful!

Maybe Race for the Galaxy - simultaneous play so shouldn't be slowed down as much. However you're group might struggle to learn the game quickly if people can't switch of the ultra-competitive "must make the best possible move" tendencies when learning the game, the best way to learn is to play a few games fairly quickly and not worry about working out what every card does. The game doesn't really encourage table talk, but there's no reason you can't (though you are not allowed to discuss what actions you are going to select...)

Rules are available on line as are pictures of the cards which might help with learning them game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
NeedANewGame wrote:
There are four of us and we normally have about 2-4 hours to finish a game but due to the competitive nature of our group. A game that lists 45 minutes games would probably take three times that because of each of us thinking about our turn for so long before we act.
Your behaviour isn't competitive: it's genuine analysis paralysis. So your first order of business is to learn that most of that thought is going to waste, either because of randomness in future turns (which you cannot plan for) or because of chaotic behaviour from people's actions (which you can plan a little for). It's okay to stop and wonder once every while about major strategic shifts, but if simple turns are already causing you and your fellow players to lock up, then new recommendations won't be of much use because they don't solve the ('a major' at the very least) underlying issue. And this issue is important because more challenging games than the ones you listed will cause the already significant playing time to explode.

If you want a recommendation, I'll echo the earlier voiced Quantum. It has dice, it's fast-paced, has some combinatorics, and looks cool. Go play that, but more importantly, learn to play it within the timeframe of 60 minutes. Alternative suggestions are La Isla and Bruges. Decidedly more 'euro' so you may have to persevere a little here... but again, the point is that you learn to make moves much more quickly. These games support that notion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower is a good choice for relatively easy to learn and lots of replay ability. Not too long either.

Blood Rage is what our group is currently playing, and while the card drafting can take a while with slow players, it gets faster with repeated plays. The first learning game I suggest just randomly dealing out cards rather than drafting at least for the first age or two. It will cut down the learning game time considerably and most players won't really have a good idea about what a good card vs a bad card is that first game anyway.

Arcadia Quest might fill the role of a game some what similar to Talisman in theme with more strategy.

Super Dungeon Explore is also a game to check out, with co-op and one vs many play options.

Puerto Rico is another classic that doesn't take too long to play and has lots of strategy.

Lords of Waterdeep is also a good suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Five Tribes is one of my favorite games, but based on how you describe your group I would definitely not recommend it. If your whole group suffers from analysis paralysis, you can pretty much expect Five Tribes to take hours (edit: w/ a full 4 players, that is).

I am going to go against the grain here and highly recommend you try Pandemic. Sounds like you guys have been playing competitive games for years. Same w/ my group. When we played Pandemic for the first time, it was an amazing experience. Lots of table talk, and you mentioned you like that aspect. It can be an amazing experience as your first coop, especially if no one in your group has played before. I recommend watching ZMAN's youtube video on how to play pandemic so you get it set up properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Davidson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For complexity/depth, quick to learn long to master, some chance, and at a relatively short play time (so even if you all play slow it won't take too long) check Carl Chudyk's games. Impulse has a nice SF theme that may work for you and with direct conflict, but Innovation or Mottainai are also very good and can provide plenty of opportunities for table talk. They're all also race to be the first to, rather than check who has the most after.

Also +1 on Race for the Galaxy / Roll for the Galaxy for having a lot of game for relatively quick play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotte M-R
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if Cosmic Encounter might work well for your group?

Lots of table talk and negotiation, the powers are unbalanced but there are many, many of them and dealing with someone who has drawn a good power for that particular game is part of the strategy, not too complex, destiny deck helps minimize people being upset about being ganged up on (since you draw who you are going to attack), lots of expansions if you like it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceTrucker wrote:
The answer is maybe Terra Mystica.
I doubt they'll ever finish a game of this...

+1 for Race for the Galaxy, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Pittsburgh Penguins fanMicrobadge: Pittsburgh Steelers fanMicrobadge: Go Steelers!Microbadge: Pittsburgh Pirates fan Microbadge: Pittsburgh Steelers fan
sounds like you need some light to medium weight multiplayer solitaire euro games to prevent game group conflict.

Agricola
Keyflower
Dominion
Splendor
Lords of Waterdeep
Terra Mystica
San Juan
Fleet
Puerto Rico
Five Tribes
The Voyages of Marco Polo
Trajan
Among the Stars
Roll for the Galaxy
Suburbia

and it sounds like you should stay away from my favorite game:
Eclipse
or shouldn't you!!!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
SpaceTrucker wrote:
The answer is maybe Terra Mystica.
I doubt they'll ever finish a game of this...
My gaming group is not nearly as slow as the one of NeedANewGame, but it isn't really quick (we usually need more time than printed on a box).
Terra Mystica runs pretty smoothly for us as it's always small moves only and you often can plan ahead. It only happens from time to time that one turn takes a bit longer.
Other games (e.g. Steam, where you can do several actions in one turn) where much more 'analysis paralysis'-prone in my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |