Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
Hello,
I use to own 7 Wonders, but the game fell a bit flat for me, so I finally traded it away.
My main issues with the game was the lack of interaction and the chaos, that seems to be totally fixed by the Duel version.

However, I also had a big grip with the guilds. I didn't like the fact that in the end, the game could totally be decided by which guilds are in the game, and who will be lucky enough to have the right guild for his board.

I'm afraid that this might still be a problem in the Duel verison isn't it?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you can now see where the guilds are. Getting to them/alleenig your opponent to get to them is the added layer of strategy 7WD brings to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
badge
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, the Guild cards have distinct back sides from the rest of the III Age cards.

Also, I know a friend of mine who likes board games, but she not only dislikes 7 Wonders, she dislikes most of Antoine Bauza's work (what a strange creature)!
Still, she DID like 7W2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
Es gibt nur eine Borussia
badge
Die Raute im Herzen
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:
No, you can now see where the guilds are. Getting to them/alleenig your opponent to get to them is the added layer of strategy 7WD brings to the table.
While you can see _where_ the guilds are, you do not know before Age III and maybe not until the middle of Age III (if they start face down) _which_ guilds are included in a specific game.
Therefore this might not help (much) to remedy your original problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely a house rule could easily fix this (if you're really bothered by it and don't mind house rules). E.g. reveal during setup what the 3 randomly selected guilds are going to be, or simply play without the guilds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Larchenko
Russia
Ivanteevka
Moscow region
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7WD has more chaos and random than 7W:
- unfair quantity of new opened cards every turn (for example, you open 2 new cards, but your opponent for you - 0),
- many cards has effect "make one more turn".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
badge
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
Pard wrote:
7WD has more chaos and random than 7W:
- unfair quantity of new opened cards every turn (for example, you open 2 new cards, but your opponent for you - 0),
- many cards has effect "make one more turn".
That's actually LESS chaos.
You discover 2 new cards tops. In 7W, you discovered 6 previously unseen cards.

All the drafting structures in 7W2 have 12 face-up and 8 face-down cards. Both players see the same cards and are capable of predicting which player can reach what card and adapt the strategy.
The "many" cards with "one more turn" are like 5 tops total in one real game, that's not very much in 60 turns total. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Come on, no house rules needed.
Guilds are no problem at all, because they work differently then in regular 7 wonders. You score the city with e. g. the most green cards, not necessarily your own city. So they are worth the same amount of points for both players. Usually that amount is not much different from the age III blue cards.

And yes, the visible back adds a layer of strategy, mainly to detect cards that are not dangerous regarding military or science ending condition imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
Es gibt nur eine Borussia
badge
Die Raute im Herzen
mbmbmbmbmb
Califax wrote:
Come on, no house rules needed.
Guilds are no problem at all, because they work differently then in regular 7 wonders. You score the city with e. g. the most green cards, not necessarily your own city. So they are worth the same amount of points for both players. Usually that amount is not much different from the age III blue cards.

And yes, the visible back adds a layer of strategy, mainly to detect cards that are not dangerous regarding military or science ending condition imho.
Very good point, I totally forgot about this ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Vallerand
Canada
Montreal Suburbs
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Tattoo fanMicrobadge: Underwater Cities fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Power Struggle fanMicrobadge: What's Your Game fan
All this to say, yes, I personally dislike 7 Wonders and won't ever play again, but my one play of 7W Duel has me running around for a store were it isn't out of stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls