Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
* J *
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for some really heavy games to solo - deep strategy/simulation, rather than something like Mage Knight. I prefer a real world themes if possible. I was very drawn to Awkright, but it doesn't have an official solo mode, otherwise it would be ideal. So far I have:

The Gallerist (but I'm a bit dubious about the solo mode as the multiplayer has a fair bit of interaction)
Roads and Boats
High Frontier

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Navajo Wars
Fields of Fire
are both excellent games designed for solo play.
Combat Commander: Europe
SPQR (Deluxe Edition)
play great solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
* J *
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I will check them out. I know I said "strategy", but I am leaning more towards sims/city building/economic like Antiquity, Indonesia, Fields of Arle. I'm not really into war games at the moment.

My ideal might be solo Awkright, is there anything like that? Roads and Boats is my closest fit so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adhil Patel
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favourites to solo is La Havre. Is that heavy enough? Ticks your boxes methinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
* J *
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avataarkaap wrote:
One of my favourites to solo is La Havre. Is that heavy enough? Ticks your boxes methinks.
Thanks, I like Le Havre, but I don't find it very heavy (although it certainly can be challenging to win). I am looking for something to really stretch my noggin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodore Martinovich
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Hulk can see ghosts, breathe underwater, and survive a nuclear bomb.
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCSE5I0Wp7c
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchant of Venus (second edition) has a pretty heavy solo game right out of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jinxstar wrote:
Merchant of Venus (second edition) has a pretty heavy solo game right out of the box.
if ke havre isn't enough, this surely won't be anywhere near.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some thoughts/comments off the top of my head.

Roads & Boats – A wonderful logistical planning game. Like the resource conversion in Le Havre, but wish you had to arrange for all of the logistical transport of the goods between various buildings? This is the game for you! I love logistic/resource conversion games so this is a personal favorite. The solo game is a puzzle to determine the best possible order of actions on a given map, starting in a given space. You could play the same map with the same starting space over and over again to top your score, or you could always play with new maps and see how you do. If you aren’t turned off by fiddly, longer games with gigantic boxes then this would be highly recommended.

The Gallerist – I have really enjoyed this game so far. I have played the solo a few times and found it engaging and interesting. The multiplayer is much better in my opinion, but I wouldn’t say that the solo game is bland by any means. You know what moves the AI will make so you need to manipulate this to your advantage whenever possible. A great game with amazing components that I wouldn’t hesitate to pull out solo, but would rather play with others.

Pax Porfiriana – Another game that is better with other players, but the reworked solo rules that have been presented in the new edition of the game are quite enjoyable. I wouldn’t say that this is a very “heavy” game, but it has nice elements of long and short term planning. You need to respond to a fairly random AI that will take cards and activate bad things against you. I have found the solo game pretty enjoyable.

D-Day at Omaha Beach – I know you said you weren’t looking for a war game, but man this is one fun solo experience. Not especially heavy once you understand the mechanics but tense, hard, and fun. I think this is hard to find right now, but there are other games in the series that can be found more easily. The component quality isn’t great, but the gameplay is fantastic. I would highly recommend this for a gamer looking for a deeper solo experience.

Navajo Wars – A wonderful solo game. If you are familiar with the Victory Point Games States of Siege titles (Dawn of the Zeds, Cruel Necessity, etc.) you can think of this as a similar game. You play as the Navajo trying to fight off a relentless series of attacks from all over. You need to survive, maintain your culture, fight off attackers, grow your families. There is luck with die rolling, but some great game elements and ideas. A very fun solo game to crack out and play when you are looking for an immersive solo experience.

Forge War – I prefer this game solo over playing with others. It is a big logistical puzzle where resources are hard to come by and you must manage them perfectly to succeed. It can be played in an epic mode and this is a very fun and immersive solo experience. You need to manipulate a puzzle element to maximize your resources and set up for future rounds. Spend you well earned money wisely because it is insanely tight. Then equip adventurers and send them on quests that will take a variable number of turns. Very puzzly and fun if you enjoy logistical planning.

I didn’t find Fields of Arle particularly engaging as a solo experience, but I tend to feel that way about most Uwe games solo. I would rather try to achieve a goal than just try to beat my high score in most cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars - AthensMicrobadge: Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291 AD fanMicrobadge: For the People fanMicrobadge: I read the Babylon Bee!Microbadge: South Carolina
COIN series. -- Uses flowcharts for non-player moves in solo mode. All of them real-world conflicts. (However some people have suggested adapting the system to Star Wars )

Also check out:

Empire of the Sun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
There are plenty of decent, heavy solo-able wargames, for instance:
Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
CO₂?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Roads & Boats or Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island - real world theme, strategy and simulation. I see that you own it. Have you tried it solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Berdichevsky
Argentina
Neuquen Capital
Neuquen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories. May be not quite the theme you like but challenging indeed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why people keep offering games that arent heavy. And you have aknowledged that there is a difference between "heavy" and "hard to win". You say you eant to stretch your noggin, so I will suggest a brain-cramp inducing game with so much meat and discovery that you can spend decades on it without getting bored.

Magic Realm

Its not a civ game, but has you exploring the ruins of a lost kingdom. 16 unique characters to explore the realm and no 2 play quite alike. Just tjose characters can give you massive depth to explore, but you can run miltiple at a time if you want, and have cooperative interaction andbackstabbery. Want a world where a warrior who kills dragons still has to fear groups of smaller enemies? Where magic is immensely powergul, nut comes at a high cost? Where veteran players still learn new things about the game 35 years later?

If you are interested, check out the 3.1 riles edition, and the Book of Learning tutorial, both avaliable in the files section. PM me if you want my advice on how to learn this, admittedly difficult yo learn, game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
* J *
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic, thanks for all the suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Baker
United States
Carlsbad
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Hey-You Looked! Been on BGG for a couple years and just getting around to this...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT COIN Series aught to hit the spot! Very austere but complex and darn it, just plain fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not going to help you now, but when it does come out (2016-17), Mr. President sounds amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bpierce72 wrote:
Some thoughts/comments off the top of my head.

Roads & Boats – A wonderful logistical planning game. Like the resource conversion in Le Havre, but wish you had to arrange for all of the logistical transport of the goods between various buildings? This is the game for you! I love logistic/resource conversion games so this is a personal favorite. The solo game is a puzzle to determine the best possible order of actions on a given map, starting in a given space. You could play the same map with the same starting space over and over again to top your score, or you could always play with new maps and see how you do. If you aren’t turned off by fiddly, longer games with gigantic boxes then this would be highly recommended.

The Gallerist – I have really enjoyed this game so far. I have played the solo a few times and found it engaging and interesting. The multiplayer is much better in my opinion, but I wouldn’t say that the solo game is bland by any means. You know what moves the AI will make so you need to manipulate this to your advantage whenever possible. A great game with amazing components that I wouldn’t hesitate to pull out solo, but would rather play with others.

Pax Porfiriana – Another game that is better with other players, but the reworked solo rules that have been presented in the new edition of the game are quite enjoyable. I wouldn’t say that this is a very “heavy” game, but it has nice elements of long and short term planning. You need to respond to a fairly random AI that will take cards and activate bad things against you. I have found the solo game pretty enjoyable.

D-Day at Omaha Beach – I know you said you weren’t looking for a war game, but man this is one fun solo experience. Not especially heavy once you understand the mechanics but tense, hard, and fun. I think this is hard to find right now, but there are other games in the series that can be found more easily. The component quality isn’t great, but the gameplay is fantastic. I would highly recommend this for a gamer looking for a deeper solo experience.

Navajo Wars – A wonderful solo game. If you are familiar with the Victory Point Games States of Siege titles (Dawn of the Zeds, Cruel Necessity, etc.) you can think of this as a similar game. You play as the Navajo trying to fight off a relentless series of attacks from all over. You need to survive, maintain your culture, fight off attackers, grow your families. There is luck with die rolling, but some great game elements and ideas. A very fun solo game to crack out and play when you are looking for an immersive solo experience.

Forge War – I prefer this game solo over playing with others. It is a big logistical puzzle where resources are hard to come by and you must manage them perfectly to succeed. It can be played in an epic mode and this is a very fun and immersive solo experience. You need to manipulate a puzzle element to maximize your resources and set up for future rounds. Spend you well earned money wisely because it is insanely tight. Then equip adventurers and send them on quests that will take a variable number of turns. Very puzzly and fun if you enjoy logistical planning.

I didn’t find Fields of Arle particularly engaging as a solo experience, but I tend to feel that way about most Uwe games solo. I would rather try to achieve a goal than just try to beat my high score in most cases.
I just recently purchased Forge War and was curious how the mining phase works in the solo game? I know thats a big part of the multiplayer game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I just recently purchased Forge War and was curious how the mining phase works in the solo game? I know thats a big part of the multiplayer game.
The rulebook is quite explanatory about how the mining works solo - but do you have a specific question about the mining phase, maybe?

I think the mining phase is quite fun solo, but I try not to break the system by figuring it out before-hand (someone did an analysis in the FW forums).

One tip is to place the workers from all colors close to each other, not separate as might be someone's first thought. There's more to benefit than to lose in having other colors near your meeples

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seamo66 wrote:
I am looking for some really heavy games to solo - deep strategy/simulation, rather than something like Mage Knight.
Have you actually tried Mage Knight though? Don't write it off based on what it looks like! It is by far the best solo game that I have tried and this is a view held by many.

Anyway, I think Fire In The Lake - the heaviest COIN game so far - might be something for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tilde72 wrote:
Quote:
The rulebook is quite explanatory about how the mining works solo - but do you have a specific question about the mining phase, maybe?

I think the mining phase is quite fun solo, but I try not to break the system by figuring it out before-hand (someone did an analysis in the FW forums).

One tip is to place the workers from all colors close to each other, not separate as might be someone's first thought. There's more to benefit than to lose in having other colors near your meeples
It's unopened as of yet. I had watched videos of the game, and when I saw it could be played solo, I wondered how it was possible to make the mining interesting compared to multiplayer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't if others agree, but I imagine that the mining phase is more fun in multiplayer since it is the main player interaction phase in the game (besides the wp coming after). For me, what makes it such a good solo game are the quests and how its crucial in a solo game to make the quests work. Not to mention game end where all quest should be finished!

I've always played it at full epic mode, maybe it's different in normal or fast mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars - AthensMicrobadge: Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291 AD fanMicrobadge: For the People fanMicrobadge: I read the Babylon Bee!Microbadge: South Carolina
BlueSwan wrote:
Seamo66 wrote:
I am looking for some really heavy games to solo - deep strategy/simulation, rather than something like Mage Knight.
Have you actually tried Mage Knight though? Don't write it off based on what it looks like! It is by far the best solo game that I have tried and this is a view held by many.

Anyway, I think Fire In The Lake - the heaviest COIN game so far - might be something for you?
A fair point. The solo system is excellent. But if the theme puts you off, not much you can do and that is my least favorite part. Quite frankly, I'd love to see the MK system applied to sci-fi/post-apoc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls