Christopher Boyd
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Every master was once a beginner
badge
Every master was once a beginner
Microbadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Transformers fan - The MatrixMicrobadge: Adoptive parent
A few years ago I was invited to play Descent with a couple of friends. The game owner really knew how to play and was an excellent teacher. I had a lot of fun and that sparked my interest in board games. I'm sure this topic has come up before but I'm curious anyway. What got you into board gaming as a hobby?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
For me, there had been some interest for a long time. I used to play Magic: The Gathering, Warhammer: The Mass Combat Fantasy Roleplaying Game (1st Edition) and D&D, played Arkham Horror with friends etc. I even went to Essen every year, mostly to buy more dice. I even bought some board games that I hardly ever played.
But what really got me going was buying Small World in March this year. That showed me how good and how much fun modern games can be. Now, eight months later, I have a bookcase dedicated to games and I already have overflow on top of my wardrobe So yeah, buying Small World was pivotal for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Tokaido fanMicrobadge: Tokaido fanMicrobadge: Tokaido fanMicrobadge: Tokaido fanMicrobadge: Tokaido fan
my family had one game night (as in one night we ever did this and never again) where we played Yahtzee. my parents and my brother. we all went into the den, a room we rarely ever did anything in. there were some couches and a piano, but with the tv in the living room, why ever go to the den?

i don't even remember how it started, but my family didn't really 'spend time' together like that. evenings were spent apart or watching tv, even if we were all in the same house.

it really stood out to me. it was something i really wanted to do again, but not something i even realised i wanted to do again. many years later, i've finally moved out and have my own place and live with my SO and thought it would be something we could do together

i was really impressed with how far boardgaming has come since i was younger, but i suppose i didn't need much convincing anyway. for me, it can almost be any game. it's all about the company for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Electro Rush
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Ameritrash fanMicrobadge: I beg my lover to play gamesMicrobadge: I love games with direct player interactionMicrobadge: BackstabberMicrobadge: I play games while I drink
I was pretty serious Warhammer Fantasy Battle player. One day, while searching for models in online game shop I stumbled on Twilight Imperium and my love for board games has begun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
Turn the right corner in Sin City...
badge
...and you can find anything.
Microbadge: CLICK MICROBADGE to see what I have FOR SALEMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium fanMicrobadge: Kingdom Death: Monster - my corpses pave the groundMicrobadge: Conan fanMicrobadge: My Games For Trade
For me it was Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game. As a big Star Wars fan I stumbled across this on ... Amazon, I guess... and after a few plays a friend of mine told me about the Tabletop episode featuring X-Wing. I watched a few other videos...
...and here I am, needing one or two more shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
Microbadge: BirdwatcherMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Dominant Species fanMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: Agricola fan
I was exposed to Yahtzee, Cribbage, 10,000, chess, backgammon all quite young, and in the early 2000s through happenstance and german relations was introduced to Catan (which while I do not think the game has aged well, at the time was miles beyond anything I'd seen, such as risk, monopoly, etc). I was also an active D&D 3.5e player for a good decade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
Microbadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Level 14 BGG posterMicrobadge: 70's Music fan
When I was a kid, I loved mass market games. I would play frequently with friends and cousins. We played Manhunt, Which Witch, Ker-Plunk, Split-Level Aggravation, The Inventors, Pay Day, Clue, and many others. Then we discovered Avalon Hill games and played a few of those. From my late teens until my early 40s, I Played mostly sports games like Strat-o-Matic and APBA. One day, I discovered a nearby FLGS. On my first visit, I bought about 5 or 6 games. The rest is history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: Castles of Burgundy fanMicrobadge: Trajan FanMicrobadge: I'm a Concordia Vintner!Microbadge: I'm a Concordia Weaver!
You're asking two different questions.

nerdy_guy_1980 wrote:
What got you excited about playing games?
Games are already fun and exciting. It wasn't a matter of getting excited about them as much as finding people who were playing them.

nerdy_guy_1980 wrote:
What got you into board gaming as a hobby?
I moved to a new area and was looking for things to do. I ran across a game night and the rest is history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I find Virtual caches.Microbadge: The White Stripes fanMicrobadge: Dixit fanMicrobadge: Quentin Tarantino fanMicrobadge: Kanye West fan
Christmas dinner, two years ago, my Brother-In-Law brought out a game called Ticket to Ride. Right away I thought the board looked cool and was curious how this never before seen game would play itself out. I did not win this game but I had fun playing and wanted another go right away, there just wasn't any more time. We went home that same night and ordered the game online. What we enjoyed most was the tension, anticipation, satisfaction, and the feeling that your decisions played a role in winning or losing the game. Obviously we have expanded our game collection but those same emotions are what keeps us coming back for more.

P.S. Spending quality time with the family is really the best part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Paquin
Canada
Val d'Or
Quebec
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Heavy Metal fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: PlayStation 4 fan
When I was reading A Game Of Throne a couple of years back, I notice there was a boardgame related to the series. So I decide to buy it, even if nobody that I knew at that time was into boardgame, so the game pretty much collected dust for a couple of years.

From time to time I was going to the local game store where I bought it, and seeing all those boardgame got me to start reading on the subject, and that's when I came accros a really unknown website called boardgamegeek, so I decide to ask my girlfriend if she would like to try this new hobby.

I show her Agricola and she loved the fact that you can "manage" your farm, so we bought it, and since that time (it was in 2009) we have buy around 50-60 games, and we introduce many friends to the hobby.
The only sad thing, is that Game Of Throne was only played once since I bought it around 8 years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Vermeersch
Belgium
ghent
Select..
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Always room for 1 more gameMicrobadge: Passport Game Studios "Fool's Gold" Contest participantMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Tasty Minstrel Games "Steam Works" Contest participantMicrobadge: Thames & Kosmos "Legends of Andor" Contest participant
As a child, my mum and brothers regularly played games. We played things like Scotland Yard, Monopoly, Stratego. It wasn't until I was introduced to Catan by my nephew that it really sparked.

My family didn't always have the time to play games, so I ended up buying the computer version for Catan. However, as the power of graphics cards grew, so vanished my interest for board games.

Last year though, my buddy invited me to a game night where we would play 'Zombicide'. Having remembered how much fun board games could be, I signed up and brought my SO along.

My collection has grown substantially since then. And even though Zombicide will never be my favorite game (it's okay once in a while), I'm still thankful that that game reignited my love for the hobby.

Game on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Bolt ActionMicrobadge: Nemesis fanMicrobadge: Monolith fanMicrobadge: GMT fanMicrobadge: Time of Legends: Joan of Arc
I always loved games as a kid but the serious dive came in 6th grade learning about the revolutionary war during the 200th anniversary. A schoolmate of mine had a couple of Avalon Hill games and gave me one of the catalogs. I showed my parents and 1776 showed up under the Christmas tree that year. It was a daunting task to learn the rules having not really had a game of that complexity, but I got through the rules and really enjoyed the game and what it taught me about history in a way. From there the floodgates were open and I still love the hobby to this day.
I do have to say the the discovery of BGG in 2002 has really broadened my gaming tastes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kim

Downey
California
msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Board Game Collector
I went to a few game nights, but wasn't very impressed. Played Cards against humanity, resistance, some LOTR co-op card game, 7 wonders, and some space game with little ufos where my friend got 1 turn the entire game... I came away disappointed, only having enjoyed 7 wonders.

Years later I tried Catan and got hooked. It's funny Catan did what a bunch of other famous designer games couldn't... Even if I don't really play it anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I ride my bike to work.Microbadge: Steven Universe fanMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: Madison Boardgames and BeerMicrobadge: Michigan Tech University
In Elementary school I remember seeing kids playing and showing each otherMagic: The Gathering cards and thinking that the artwork on those cards was so cool. I'd really put myself in those scenes and would fantasize about them on the bus ride to school.

Later, I played Clue for the first time and thought how much cooler this game was than the games our family would play weekly (Monopoly and Sorry).

In Middle school my brother, cousin and myself collected (but never played) Pokémon Trading Card Game cards.

Then in High School and my first year of college I shunned it all away to be "cool," but was always envious of those playing MTG in the library before school started. I got more and more into videogames and would regularly spend time at friends houses playing through campaigns of Halo then participating in LAN parties of FPS games...until those turned into people playing online and a once full house of friends turned into everyone just staying home and if they had the money to buy headphones and an internet connection, stay connected that way. I didn't value that.

I think it was around 2009 that I played my first Catan game (The Settlers of the Stone Age) and loved it.

A few years passed, I moved to Madison and heard a commercial for I'm Bored and decided to check it out. Off a whim picked up two games (Gangster and Nuns on the Run) because they looked good and started joining meetups and, relative to people here, slowly adding to my modest collection.

My family played games when I was young, planted the seed, my brother reignited the flame and now I listen to podcasts/videos all day when I'm in the office and am THAT guy who brings several games with him wherever he goes...just in case...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Paruman
South Africa
Midrand
Gauteng
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Gamer FamilyMicrobadge: Keep Calm and Play Board GamesMicrobadge: BloggerMicrobadge: Copper Reviewer
Here is how I got into the hobby :

http://gameruman.co.za/gaming-in-south-africa/getting-starte...

I have to say that as a kid I was always fascinated by games that kids were playing in movies. Even if it was a glimpse of a table that was setup I always wondered what it was. For a long time most games were not available in South Africa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Early on, playing the occasional Catan or Talisman or stuff was just a thing one did at times, but not really something special. A fun activity, but not a hobby, much less an identity or anything.

Seeing the Twilight Imperium 3 entry in one of those FFG catalogues (in friend's Talisman copy) was the epiphany that I have come home.

... Turned out the rabbit hole of sprawling chrome and bling went much deeper than that, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Field
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
I grew up playing card games with my parents and grandparents. We also would play monopoly and risk on occasion. I got obsessed with Warhammer Fantasy in about 7th grade, but quickly realized I could't afford it. When we got Catan 10 years ago I was amazed at how good it was (compared to Monopoly/Risk etc) but was intimidated by how much board games cost (didn't have a whole lot of dispensable income as a teenager.) Then in college some friends introduced me to Ticket to Ride and it was so fun that I bought it that week. It took me 4 more years to really catch the bug however, and that was when I saw Pandemic being played on Table Top. I went out and bought it and have averaged 1 new game a month for the last year and a half since!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermilion
Ohio
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Unitarian UniversalistMicrobadge: Parent of big sister and little brotherMicrobadge: In love with my spouseMicrobadge: El-ahrairahMicrobadge: Component Bagger
The first game I can remember playing was Six Million Dollar Man: Bionic Crisis. The little playing trays and the light bright pegs where so neat. (I would later cram all the pegs into the fife I got at Colonial Williamsburg, thus ruining both things but that's another thread) The next game that really resonated was Dark Tower followed by D&D. The first games I bought for my self where DungeonQuest (1985), Chainsaw Warrior and Block Mania. I really loved CW and DQ because they could be played alone thus solidifying my love for solo games. I later got into some collectible game like M:tG and Mechwarrior: Dark Age (by the way of looking to get into a D&D campaign but failed to do so), then made a lateral move into board games with Small World. Even though each of these game where separated by some years and until Small World I had never been in a game shop (all other games where bought in comic shops) I had been fitting myself for a hobby without really knowing it. Each game I played sparked my imagination of what I could do in the worlds I played in (thematic games are my fav').

-zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Russian Railroads fanMicrobadge: Terra Mystica fanMicrobadge: Five Tribes fanMicrobadge: Blood Rage fan - Bear ClanMicrobadge: Carson City fan
I don't actually remember. I know I played Yugioh before I played board games, and I bought Carcassonne while I still played Yugioh, but it wasn't Carc that got me into gaming.

Whenever friends came over, we would play games, like Scattergories and "the forehead game" (see Ignlourious Basterds), and things like that.

At some point, a friend of mine bought Catan, but I think this was after we were already interested in board gaming as a hobby.

The Dice Tower is what made me realize there was a whole big world of games out there, and made me aware of the "gateway games" and the like, but again, this was after I was already interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
Microbadge: Game Boy fanMicrobadge: Physics enthusiastMicrobadge: Hunters of Arcfall fanMicrobadge: Deep Space D-6: Armada fanMicrobadge: Ramen lover
The artwork in Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre re-invigorated the hobby for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Cymru am byth! Long Live Wales!Microbadge: 2015 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: I speak four languagesMicrobadge: MusicianMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
For me, it's about having fun, appreciating the artistic aspect of games, I could sit and look at some games for hours, and not feeling I have to save the world! I can just be.... Apart from when playing Pandemic, of course ..

I must admit to being jealous at those of you who have a gaming group to go to. I live in a beautiful place, but the nearest group is a long drive away.
This forum makes up for that, though, in many ways!

Also, We don't have a television. We haven't as a family for ten years. French tv has to be one of the worst in the world ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Gojira (Godzilla) fanMicrobadge: Red Dwarf fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Petz fanMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge:  The Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog - Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth!
It was a slow progression from looking for games to play with my husband after we were married to finding Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot. It was different and I bought a few expansions in hopes to make it more interesting and exciting but instead found it more clunky and boring.
I decided there had to be something better.
Looked around and found Dominion and shortly after Catan.
Since then it just escalated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls