Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a variant rule to extend the game if you're about to be destroyed near to the end of the threat deck (or, more often for me, only a few threats into the deck due to catastrophic bad dice rolls over 2 or 3 rounds).

Basically, at the moment you are about to lose your last hull and die, sacrifice a die (crew member) to avoid the hull damage - remove 1 die permanently from the game. Thematically, this is like a crew member flying a shuttlecraft out of the main ship and using it to distract the threatening attackers, giving them an alternative target to hit. The shuttle is destroyed and crewman lost, but it's given you enough time to at least get your shields back online - so restore your shields to full, though your hull doesn't repair (goes to 1 if you had more than 1 left).

Having played with this variant rule a few times, it does give you that ever so slight extra time to cope with a very bad run of luck, though usually your ship is so pummelled at that point that it doesn't give you much more chance of winning overall. But sometimes just one more round is all you need!...

Admittedly, this variant makes the game technically easier to beat, but it's at the price of knowing you didn't really get a 'full' win (plus you have one less die to roll, which can be problematic if the rest of your dice end up stuck in the infirmary and/or scanners!). But I like doing this sometimes just to give myself at least a chance of getting right through the threat deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
"The Needs of the Many Outweigh the Needs of the Few".

I've liked your suggestions for variants and this seems like another one to add. Over my last few games, my crew have been pummelled by either a sequence of horrible Threat cards or by a string of bad rolls, so maybe this will help.

This is nicely thematic as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.