Popular Tags: [View All]
Indalecio
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some questions/considerations:

1- Has anybody tried drafting neutral monsters/terrors/GOOs cards instead of putting them in a common pool as suggested by the rules? I was thinking mixing all cards together, deal a few to each players, drafting them, and then whatever you drafted is available to you and only you during the game. It would function as a permanent addition to your faction, except all rules apply when it comes to how to use/purchase the neutral monsters. Thoughts? I get the idea of putting pressure on the players for purchasing neutral units before somebody else does, but don't you think it would serve variety a lot by combining new monsters to your faction? I´m sure some neutral monsters have synergies with some factions.

2- I´ve tried to get all information I could find about the new factions and it seems to me like:

- Sleeper and Opener are advertised as being virtually awesome mechanically and strategically, with great and interesting powers. I honestly think these sound really cool, and I mean reaaaaaaally nice.

- However I feel a bit "meh" on Windwalker, for the reason that the designer himself categorizes them as being straight forward compared to the former, blatantly reflected on the much lower amount of strategic insight about them in the videos, aside from dropping the big guy you cannot kill and then steamrolling with Ithaqua. That's one strategy and I wonder if that sums up the faction? It looks like this faction, which by the way has some of the coolest minis, has "nothing major we haven't seen" to add to gameplay. Now I know that the powers are unique and I like them, but is their gameplay a bit flat? Or, is the idea behind this faction to provide an alternative to Cthulhu, and possibly made for players just going for the battle side of CW?

- Tcho-Tcho faction is a big questionmark for me, as the idea of a strong faction early game with vastly decreasing power in the mid/late game isn't exactly appealing to somebody who wants to be sitting down an hour or so and be part of the game, with all its tension and excitement, until it ends. A bit like a turn 2 win deck in MTG that doesn't pull out a win early enough and has to die slowly the subsequent turns. Any information to deny that?

3- I´m not very sure about the number of plastic gates provided by the stretch goals? Is it one of each color?

4- Punchboard faction cards as an add-on: are these provided already in the $1 pledge? Just checking here.

5- I probably think m in magical Christmas land, but is the idea of a bundle for the 3-5 players map completely out of the question?

I´m really struggling deciding what to go for as there are so many good things to consider in that campaign. I have to say I haven't been as excited about a KS campaign as I am currently with this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amon Barrach
Spain
Valentia
flag msg tools
I can't answer all, but I can answer one.

About the new factions:

All three, like all CW factions, have inmense personality and depth of play. WW is described as a blunt instrument often, but let's get into the details:

Economy: WW can aggressively take gates, and hold them with relative ease due to several factors. With Ithaqua in play, only GOOs can capture WW's cultists. Even without Ithaqua in play, a cultist guarded by a Wendigo with Cannibalism can only be ousted by battle with 2 monsters who each roll at least 2 dice. Resilient!

Herald of the Outer Gods spellbook ensures cheap RoA, allowing you to save those PPs for outer uses.

Ice age disencourages actions that affect an area, maybe even an area you wish to guard.

Finally, strategic use of the Hibernate Faction Ability can garner great returns.

Movement: hands down one of the most devastating movement Spellbooks in the game, Arctic Wind, means Ithaqua can take his whole court on the move, to devastating effect.

Battle: Berserkergang and Cannibalism means his Gnoph-Kehs and Wendigos are costly or futile to eliminate, specially when used together. The Gnoph-Keh's cost is also a factor to their resilience.
Rhan-Tegoth's Immortal ability also contributes to this, and ties in nicely with the economy aspect.

Windwalker can really shake gameplay about and keep things interesting, and they can be as weasely, devious, and cannibalistic as the other factions. Even Great Cthulhu can be conniving, if you set your mind to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul F
Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
OKNOTOK
badge
This Is Not An Exit
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick answers to a couple of your questions re the KS:

3 - three so far (red, green and blue) with yellow up for grabs as the next stretch goal after the current one, which is Two Player Rules.

4 - No, the punch board cards are a $10 add-on. $1 pledge includes upgraded card stock for the Ritual and Doom tracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmb
With regard to Windwalker I would make the distinction between being less tricky to learn how to play (which I understand it is) and having fewer tricks up its sleeve (which might be true, but is also more player dependent). As has been said, it might be more about the long game and strategy than tactics compared with the other other two, perhaps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windwalker is more straightforward than Opener, but he still requires a lot of strategic insight to play well. Think of Cthulhu vs Yellow Sign.

As an example, there's a spellbook called Howl which the Wendigo can get, which forces the enemy to retreat a unit of their choice in Pre-Battle to any adjacent area. Note that that can include Great Old Ones, and is a Retreat rather than a Pain, meaning that the enemy can retreat into an area containing Windwalker's units. This means that if I have an area with a gate, a Cultist, and a Wendigo, and Cthulhu moves in to Capture, if I declare Combat and use Howl he can decide to Retreat Cthulhu to an adjacent Gate I control, then proceed to Capture my Cultist there.

Whether or not to use Howl, and setting yourself up to benefit from it, is an important strategic decision. One way to leverage it is to try and build your gates 1 area apart from eachother, so that using Howl defensively can never push an Enemy GOO to another one of your gates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
AdamStarks wrote:
Windwalker is more straightforward than Opener, but he still requires a lot of strategic insight to play well. Think of Cthulhu vs Yellow Sign.

As an example, there's a spellbook called Howl which the Wendigo can get, which forces the enemy to retreat a unit of their choice in Pre-Battle to any adjacent area. Note that that can include Great Old Ones, and is a Retreat rather than a Pain, meaning that the enemy can retreat into an area containing Windwalker's units. This means that if I have an area with a gate, a Cultist, and a Wendigo, and Cthulhu moves in to Capture, if I declare Combat and use Howl he can decide to Retreat Cthulhu to an adjacent Gate I control, then proceed to Capture my Cultist there.

Whether or not to use Howl, and setting yourself up to benefit from it, is an important strategic decision. One way to leverage it is to try and build your gates 1 area apart from eachother, so that using Howl defensively can never push an Enemy GOO to another one of your gates.
You can't retreat into an area containing units of the faction that you're currently fighting. So this should never be an issue; a Howled unit cannot move into any area containing Windwalker units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Felts
United States
Hamilton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Khift wrote:
AdamStarks wrote:

You can't retreat into an area containing units of the faction that you're currently fighting. So this should never be an issue; a Howled unit cannot move into any area containing Windwalker units.
You can't be 'pained' into areas containing units of the faction you are currently fighting. This is the first ability that has the 'retreat' wording so it should be possible to retreat into those areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hobbs
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khift wrote:
AdamStarks wrote:

The FAQ section of the Windwalker rule book says:
A unit that has been howled may retreat to an area containing Windwalker's units, because Howl does not inflict a pain.

On a similar note, if Crawling Chaos is in the game and has the Madness spellbook the unit that has been howled is retreated by the owner of the unit not the Crawling Chaos player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
RE: Tcho-Tchos

I will just say that a common feature of the game is to see one player who was in the lead start getting hammered back down by the others. At this point it becomes a race for him to see if he can pull off his grab at the gold ring before he is destroyed.

One of the common end-game situations is to see the guy who wins actually have a weak board presence (because he was ganged up on throughout the previous turn). Of course if he wins, it's because he was able to cling desperately to his edge while being kicked around.

The Tcho-Tchos are really doing exactly the same thing, only with them it is expected, planned for, and they have abilities to help "cling to life" while the other players surge ahead.

That said, they are clearly not for everyone. But of course that's kind of the idea with the grossly asymmetric factions in Cthulhu Wars. I know a skilled player who finds it impossible to get his head around Black Goat.

Sandy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls