Subject: Absonderliche Ruinen (German version) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Qutu
msg tools
Lucha y fiesta
badge
So fly...!
Microbadge: bounceMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: This is how I roll...
http://www.heidelbaer.de/dyn/products/detail?ArtNr=HE864
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Was für eine Übersetzung... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DelphiDie wrote:
Are you able, and willing, to explain why do you think it's bad?
As far as automatic translation goes, it seems fine.
I'm very interested in Sprachwissenschaft and language-specific quirks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Qutu wrote:
Absonderlich is really a Strange word...
Well, this does sound somewhat fitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gesine Stanienda
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a linguist and bilingual. And I understand why this was posted.
The German sounds just awkward and, to my mind, even ridiculous. Whereas the English is actually fine (both register and usage).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
Are you able, and willing, to explain why do you think it's bad?
As far as automatic translation goes, it seems fine.
I'm very interested in Sprachwissenschaft and language-specific quirks.
Of course But as I have no background in language studies my explanation might sound a bit ineloquent. Sorry for that

I think "Absonderliche Ruinen" does not really capture the essence of "Strange remnants".

First, the word "absonderlich" is a word which isn´t used too often in everyday language. It might be an expression that could have been popular in the 20s or 30s, so this could be a nod to the time period in which Eldritch Horror takes place. But it mostly describes something that deviates from certain norms somehow, which doesn´t transport the "otherworldliness" for me. While it is a correct translation for the word "strange", personally I´d have used the word "fremdartig", which includes a sense of something which is unknown as well as unfamiliar.

As for "Ruinen", well it´s a pretty common word, that describes a lot of things. Every abandoned house, every destroyed building, or every old castle which has fallen into disrepair, can be classified as a "Ruine". There is nothing special in this word. It doesn´t transport that the places in question have been around for thousands of years, and have a certain significance in history. I´d have used the word "Monumente", which, while not being a correct translation for "remnants", implies both of these things.

So my personal translation would have been "Fremdartige Monumente". It might not be 100% literal, but I think it transports the essence of what this expansion is about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wird auch Zeit ... ^^

Die Übersetzung ist wirklich seltsam.
"Mysteriös" hätte besser gepasst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kallisto wrote:
The German sounds just awkward and, to my mind, even ridiculous. Whereas the English is actually fine (both register and usage).
I figured that out.
I hoped that someone would be able to tell why it's ridiculous, but I guess it just untranslatable.
Well, I might be able to grasp that myself in a few years.

On a sidenote: Polish versions also feature some very unusual translations. It slipped through my mind that our publisher is sloppy, but if german versions also get this treatment, then maybe there's more to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it could have been worse. "Geheimnisumwitterte Kulturerbestätten"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DelphiDie wrote:
Well, it could have been worse. "Geheimnisumwitterte Kulturerbestätten"
Oder "Kuriose Restposten"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. :-)

A google search has shown that "absonderlich" was used in some of the Lovecraft translations, so it could be one of the reasons to use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
A google search has shown that "absonderlich" was used in some of the Lovecraft translations, so it could be one of the reasons to use it.
Then that might indeed be the case here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
DelphiDie wrote:
* "Absonderliche Übersetzung"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Wiese
Germany
35043 Marburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the translation is fine. Yes, of course "absonderlich" might sound a bit geeky, but it fits quite good to the Lovecraftian theme. Just take some other words you'll find in Lovecraft - like "unaussprechlich" and many others - and most people wouldn't use them in everyday language as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSimon wrote:
I think the translation is fine. Yes, of course "absonderlich" might sound a bit geeky, but it fits quite good to the Lovecraftian theme. Just take some other words you'll find in Lovecraft - like "unaussprechlich" and many others - and most people wouldn't use them in everyday language as well.
fitting to the theme is one thing. But the word "absonderlich" is simply cumbersome, especially compared to the original title. And making a 4 syllable word, which to most people sound old-fasioned, out of a 1 syllable word, which is a common word in todays English language, to me, just sounds like very bad translation... nothing too uncommon for German versions of.. everything.

Edit: By the way, they also did not follow this pattern with the other EH products. "Forsaken Lore" was just "Vergessenes Wissen", even though "Forsaken" is more in the lines of "zurückgelassen" and "lore", if you want old-fasioned wording: "Kunde" or "Überlieferung"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Anduin wrote:
But the word "absonderlich" is simply cumbersome
Being absonderlichly cumbersome compared to English is German's thing though.
Why do you think we prefer English versions of anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Mass Effect fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Original Trilogy fanMicrobadge: Batman fanMicrobadge: "Make It So!" - Captain Jean Luc PicardMicrobadge: Fallout fan
"Absonderlich" is indeed a bit quirky, but as someone already pointed out, it could be a nod to Lovecraft's also quirky and old-fashioned style of writing.

Still, I would not have followed this path, as it really sticks out in an irritating way. It's not completely horrible (there are far worse translations out there), but it's certainly improvable.

"Ruinen" (ruins) is absolutely okay. It's indeed like in English a more general term, but it still fits perfectly. Unlike "Monumente" (monuments), "Ruinen" directly hints at the inherent destroyed property, which is important and fitting, considering the omnipresent theme of lost and hidden knowledge in Lovecraftian fiction.

So overall, I lost 2 sanity here -- unpleasant, but could have been worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Mass Effect fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Original Trilogy fanMicrobadge: Batman fanMicrobadge: "Make It So!" - Captain Jean Luc PicardMicrobadge: Fallout fan
Update: now available in German language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frost Berg
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Really interessting debate. The first idea that came to my mind if i saw "Absonderliche Runinen" was: Wow. What a brilliant translation. "Absonderlich" ist so a wonderfull word whith the right "spirit". Both words together have a good (lovecraft-like) sound. I like "Geheimnisumwitterte Kulturerbestätten", too. Okay. the sound is awful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls