Subject: Luboy's Shopping List - comments welcomed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrzej Lubojanski
Poland
Ruda Śląska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite of having already some games in my collection, I am constantly considering various games for my future purchases. The point is, there already many games worth buying and playing, so I need to sort out some titles and priorities. Also I am trying to provide some variety in my collection.

For that reason, I made already Geeklist to sort things:

Luboy's Shopping List

Recent purchases:
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization - big, good game. I presume it will not land on table too often...
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game - almost pocket size card game, good for solo challenges
Impulse - only played once...
Super Motherload - cool deckbuilder with tile laying...

Current plan for end of 2016:
Steampunk Rally - already supported crowdfunding, should be available for Christmas, more or less...

Other considerations:
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn - alternative to LCGs available on market
Roll for the Galaxy - Ambition expansion also available in PL version

Any comments welcomed.

From the other end, I grew up to moment, that I would like to sell couple of games. In general, there are games that weren't played for over a year...

[Edit] Thread entry post edited according to current purchase plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bent Nikolaisen
Norway
flag msg tools
From your consideration list I have tried:
- Hey, thats my fish: Ok, but time setting up vs time spent playing makes it loose its luster...
- Takenoko: Good, but a little dry. Not many occasions for cackling in glee...
- Five tribes: Personal favourite in this comparision. Some find it too AP-prone, but it has so many possible moves to evaluate that it does not bother me (some say you can't evaluate game state before it is your turn, but for me gears are turning and entertaining me on other players' turns).

- I have not tried Istanbul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Luboy wrote:
What I am considering now:
- Istanbul
- Hey, that's my fish
- Five Tribes
- Takenoko
Hey, That's My Fish! is crazy good fun. Placing the tiles out isn't a big deal in my experience, especially as all of the players can just grab tiles and start placing. The playing time goes up with older and more experienced gamers. Like most abstracts this gets really fun and cut throat with two.

Takenoko is aesthetically pleasing, but the game play itself is a bit bland.

Carcassonne is worth a look. Its fun and flexible, and not very expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only played Takenoko and Hey, That's my Fish from that list.
HtMF is tons of fun. It looks cute, but it's cut-throat Setup time really isn't an issue, and even though I understand why people mention it, I think it's greatly exaggerated.
Takenoko is really smooth and streamlined, but it does get a little samey after ten plays. I still enjoy it, but I wouldn't suggest it if I had the time and the group for something with more meat to it. The aesthetic is great, and you can't go wrong with the panda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Lubojanski
Poland
Ruda Śląska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for replies.

I think I will buy Hey That's My Fish, as it is not expensive and should be fine for our family gaming. I suppose setup will be not an issue here.

Probably for now I will pass with Takenoko. I'll try some more plays online and maybe will have more stable opinion about that.

Istanbul looks promising. Generally, I am thinking about lighter euro, more or less the same weight as Stone Age. Are there any other candidates?

Tzolkin is more or less the same price...
7 Wonders - duel?

Maybe another abstract game? They usually works good for two

Tough issue here...

Anyway, another question. Which LCG to choose? There are some candidates, every has some advantages and disadvantages.

LOTR? Coop and good for solo play...
Star Wars? Two players, assimetric, confrontational...
WH40K?
Android?
Game of Thrones?

Aaargh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Lubojanski
Poland
Ruda Śląska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erm.... my current plan for Christmas is Istanbul + Hey, That's My Fish.

Eventual change could happen to Istanbul, but for now I cannot see more or less game of the same "weight" with more or less similar price.

Still have some time to think...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Istanbul is fun and there is already an expansion out which adds some variety, if needed.

An interesting 2-player game is Hive Pocket. Very minimalistic, only a dozen tokens for each player and no gameboard. Fast setup (practical no time needed) and fast gameplay (about 15-20 minutes).
The game is often campared to chess, which strikes me a bit overestimated. Nevertheless it is a nice little game with lots of options and different progression in each gameplay.

Splendor is fun, you may want to have a look at a similar 2-player game: Jaipur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Lubojanski
Poland
Ruda Śląska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Hive on BGA, it is not quite currently "my type" of game, but I agree that this is good short game.

Splendor we play from time to time, also we had Jaipur on our table - our friend got this in his collection, so I am not considering this one for buying, when we can borrow this from time to time. But I must admit that Jaipur is quick, quite easy and fun.

Thanks for comment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Lubojanski
Poland
Ruda Śląska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, besides of Hey, That's My Fish!, here is another list of quicker, cheaper games, which works for two, and in my opinion worth looking at (with prices):
- Tides of Time - 35 PLN
- Dragonheart - 40 PLN
- Haggis - 50 PLN
- Hanabi - 30 PLN
- Star Wars: Empire vs. Rebellion - 40 PLN
- Pixel Tactics - 40 PLN

Phew...

I've played Haggis and Dragonheart online (BGA), and it was fun for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Chov
China
BEIJING
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Luboy.
This is Linda of trevorandlinda. Here are some of my suggestions for your wife/friends:

Between Two Cities https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/168435/between-two-citie... - a easy-tile-laying-city-building-co-op-ish game for up to seven, plays well with just two as well

Bohnanza - a fun bean trading game, better with more than two

Lords of Scotland - a card bluffing game that's quick and fun, plays well with just two as well as five

Freedom: The Underground Railroad this is a great co-op game that can play up to 4 (but more difficult, we can win with two but haven't yet with four

That's all, hope it helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Lubojanski
Poland
Ruda Śląska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Linda,

Thanks for suggestions, for sure I will check them

I have to look also for availability and prices in Poland, as it may be harder to find some titles in my area.

Between Two Cities is available directly in my area for good price. I have to check this title...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls