4 Posts

The Voyages of Marco Polo» Forums » Variants

Subject: Using two roles x player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R2 D2
msg tools
mb
Yesterday we played using two roles per player, it was a 2p game and it worked great. What you get is a super combo of powers. For example, you could combine traveling jumping from oasis to oasis with not paying when using an action already taken. Or, as another example, you could combine starting from Beijing with the white dice role. If you add the 4 new roles from the mini-expansion (which we did) then the combinations are limitless! And by doing this you feel less sad when thinking about all those fantastic roles you did not pick. If anyone else tries it I'd be glad to hear how it worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gav DBM
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Did this in the summer during first week of play...at urging of 10yr old who really enjoyed idea of maxing out powers. It resulted in a fun game...but I suspect play balance suffers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Luna
Spain
Rubí
Catalunya
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've been playing a lot of 2-player games with the 2-characters-per-player variant but we select them at random from 2 piles:

The pile of powerful characters: Mercator, Berke, Matteo & Raschid

and

The pile of sidekicks: Niccolo & Marco, Kubilai, Johannes & Wilhem

This method is quite balanced and works well for us but, of course, everything is easier than with the standard rules (which, trust me, is just fine).

Selecting the characters at random makes you move from your comfort zone enough to compensate for the use of another character. At the same time, getting a sidekick each time puts in play the less-powerful characters that will get underused otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see this creating a couple of super combo's though. If you combine the guy who can drop of while continuing to move (and gets and extra 10 points for placing the 2 extra black pieces) with the character that can teleport using oasis' you have a very easy way of completing those bonus points without barely breaking a sweat. I understand there will be other power combos, but I think this will create too much imbalance overall. There might be an argument for character drafting (last to first twice) so that people could black the super combos, but there's still too much chance for me to not like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.