Subject: Why bother with Wizard when........ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Friedrich HayekMicrobadge: Catholic - Sacred HeartMicrobadge: I am related to Monkeys!Microbadge: FeminismMicrobadge: Skeptic

...Spades is the same rank, better known and doesn't require extra cards (much cheaper)?

What does Wizards do for you that Spades doesn't.

And is it really that much better than Oh Hell, to be worth spending the cash?

More groans and laughs, more social perhaps? More satisfying?

Is it a different set of game trade-offs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Christensen
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
Pat OwlOrbs.
badge
Rub the wizard!
Microbadge: Walking in a Winter WonderlandMicrobadge: Starships & Spacemen RPG fanMicrobadge: I love SnowMicrobadge: Parent of Two Girls and One BoyMicrobadge: Winter War fan
If you have $10 to spare, getting Deluxe Wizard is nice for the bidding click-wheels which add an excellent tactile element to the game.

I prefer Wizard to spades because I like games without partnerships.

Oh Hell is fine, but the Jesters and Wizards in the Wizard deck add a new level of chaos and uncertainty that must be played around. The result is, I believe, a lot more swearing - which may or may not be welcome at your table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Pearce
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Empire Builder fanMicrobadge: 2038 fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
And with the click-wheels you can bid simultaneously which adds a whole new level of fun and evilness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...game pleasure in wood
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Depeche Mode fanMicrobadge: The Smiths fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Wooden Components fan
mothertruckin wrote:
If you have $10 to spare, getting Deluxe Wizard is nice for the bidding click-wheels which add an excellent tactile element to the game.

Oh Hell is fine, but the Jesters and Wizards in the Wizard deck add a new level of chaos and uncertainty that must be played around. The result is, I believe, a lot more swearing - which may or may not be welcome at your table.

Wizard Deluxe now comes with (thick) CARDBOARD bidding wheels (no more plastic, no more click, but an extra approximately $10 in cost over the standard "Original" card-deck-only version right now on Amazon).

You can buy a six-pack of bidding wheels separately for $10 on Amazon, and I believe those are still plastic, and buy the base Wizard game for under $7 (the "large index" version even cheaper right now)for a complete separates PLASTIC "deluxe" set at the same price as the cardboard pre-bundled one.

Update: Here's the cheapest version of Original Wizard on Amazon, sold and shipped by Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Wizard-Card-French-English-Translatio... (but still might be worth paying the extra 75 cents for large index).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malc R
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mothertruckin wrote:

Another advantage of a 60-card Wizard deck that seems to be often cited is that it allows all cards to be in play (final round) for 3, 4, 5 or 6 players, whereas a standard 52-card deck only allows this for 4 players. This may not be so important for some people. If it's not important to you, you can play basically the same game, using aces as Wizards and 2s as Jesters (or Kings as Wizards and aces as Jesters) If you have two or more decks with identical backs, you could modify cards from one one deck and/or the jokers into Wizards and Jesters/Fools (4 of each required). A 78-card tarot nouveau deck could easily be pressed into service, using 4 of the trumps as Wizards and, perhaps, the cavalier (Knight) cards as Jesters or removing the cavaliers and using 8 of the trump cards (1-4 as Jesters, 18-21 as Wizards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls